Author Topic: linter - Punta de Mita  (Read 47572 times)

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
linter - Punta de Mita
« on: December 23, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
Your apartment exists.  Saw it this morning.  Town is tiny, seems just about perfect.   Looks like about 5 breaks you can see from your place and I am sure there are many more a short boat ride away.  Small swell right now.   Yesterday was ok at low tide which of course means shallow and rocky. Feet beat to crap immediately.  Guess I better stop falling. Haven't been here for 24 hours yet so will give you another updated later on. 

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: linter - Punta de Mita
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »
Sounds beautiful, we're coming.  Where are you?

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
I am staying at El Farro II.  Here till the 2nd.  linter gets here soon after for a much extended stay I believe.  Caught a couple this morning.  Really just killing time waiting for the tide to drop a bit. 

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 03:48:18 AM »
   Thanks for the report.  Given that my apt is on top of a restaurant, the fact that i might be able to see a few breaks from it will hopefully make up for the noise and me smelling like an enchilada for four months.  get any better waves yesterday?  let's hear more when you get a chance!

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 07:42:16 AM »
Sign on the front says "strongest Margaritas in town".  Although things seem pretty tame. 

Waves are small again today.  Everyone says the swell is coming.  There are so few people out that you really get all the ones you want.  It looks like if there is any size there will be a ton of peaks so it still wouldn't be crowded.  I can see what looks like a decent right point off to the west.  Probably a 30 minute paddle.  Maybe longer. Here with the family so have been managing my water time.   Maybe will head there this afternoon.  Or tomorrow.  Any time I am not in a wetsuit is good.  I barely care about the quality.  Just happy sliding across the ocean.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 03:59:01 AM »
   strongest margaritas in town.  ugh.  otoh, i hear that the town rolls up pretty early in the night, like around ten.  if so, that's fine with me.
   so ... even though the waves have been small, they're still of a size you can ride and slide, right?
   i'm curious about the rocky bottom that beat your feet to crap at low tide.  are these pointy sharp rocks, round round rocks, coral-type rocks or what?  my feet are very sensitive, so i'm gathering i should bring a pair of booties.
   hope you're having fun and that some bigger waves have rolled in.  keep us posted.  and, what, no pics?  come on, put the family to work!

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »
I have had a bit of timeout but there are waves for sure.  Yesterday morning looked good. You know that story about a leash going tight and taking a bit of finger.  Let me tell you the clinic in town is excellent and so is the Amerimed hospital in PV. 

It is killing me to sit and watch but need to be smart for a few days.  Had some sure fun waves on the 24th.  Then took my parents out paddling. They are in there 7o's.  I had rented an Avanti which is a bit of a barge.   Sat just outside the shore pound waiting for a break.  Though we had it.  Got my mom off the board and away and a wave came.   No idea why I didn't just let go.   I guess I thought I could get the 2 boards back outside.  I know better and my finger will heal quickly.  It is just going to be a bit shorter. 

Going to go look at the right point in Friday.  Something to do.  It is a short boat ride or a longer paddle.  You will have a blast here.   Great set up.  And yes the town sea to pack it in early. 

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »
Linter,  I have spent the last ten years in the Punta Mita/Sayulita area surfing now SUSing, as I have a home in the area.  Never used to wear booties, but in the last two years the sea urchins have been making a concerted effort to attack humans.  Twice I have gotten stuck the first day in the water of an 8 week stay.  Now I wear booties, looks funky but no urchin spines and since it's usually a rock bottom, no torn up feet.  Gret area to spend time and SUP/SUS is no problemo.  Have fun!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 01:59:08 AM »
bob: sorry to hear about your finger ... but that means you'll have more time to take pix of the area and post them online, right?  glad to hear the breaks looks good.  any lefts in the immediate area?  i'll probably wind up in the clinic at some point, as i am pretty accident prone, so i'm happy to hear you had a good experience there.  did you really lose a bit of finger?  i want a pic of that too!

surfk9: thanks for the bootie talk.  i'll bring a pair and wear em.  last thing i need is an urchin spine stuck in my foot.  guess that'd be better than the loss of a finger tip but still ...

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
Re: urchin spines, last incident, the wife spent an hour trying ti get them out, then I soaked them in white vinegar each day.  Little dap with a q-tip works wonders.

Re: lefts in the area.  Two close by relatively speaking.  Going further inside the bay from Playa Anclote (Punta Mita) you'll find La Lancha then Burros.  You could paddle to them but if you use the road go to the new Pemex about a mile down the road.  You'll see cars and a fenced area on the water side.  Guard at the gate will let you through IF you have surfboard/SUP.  Anybody with you also has to have a "surfing" apparatus.  Boogie boards work for the significant other.  For Burros go down the road to the Palladium Resort entrance, go in their road, park on the left side by the arroyo and walk down the arroyo.  Or take a water taxi from one of the surf shops, hit all the breaks and pick the best.  They will come back for you when you want them to.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »
You guys are killing me with this. I've been wanting to get down there for a few years.

I'm trying to get a group of buddies together for a trip this year.

Not to hijack, but how far is it from Punta de Mita to Sayulita?

Is PDM better surf than Sayulita? Sayulita looks like a better town for the wife/non-surfers. What's the 411?

Is it close enough to stay in S and shuttle boat or cab to PDM? Or should they be separate trips?

And yeah, how much finger loss we talking about here?

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »
I am far from an expert at this area.  Was in Sayulita today.  Totally different place.   I liked it but it was super hectic and crowded.  It is a short drive from Punta de Mita so you could stay at either.  Punta de Mita seems deserted in comparison so you can pick your scene and do either.

This guy was impressive in a super crowded beach.  He had better waves but I only took the one video.  He was riding a very small carbon Starboard.  This was in Sayulita.

It was stormy this morning but there have been waves everyday in PdM.  Often small but still lots of fun.  If I hadn't done myself in I would have been to some of the other spots.  I will endeavor to take few more photos.  I keep leaving my camera at home.

There are a few shops in PdM but mostly rentals.  Found a pretty decent SUP shop in Sayulita today.  Good selection of boards, paddles and accessories.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:27:21 PM by PtBobSup »

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTO
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
 West side of town.

East side of town.

House of Linter

The Finger!

Feel free to let me know how to post photo in a better way.  I have no idea.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:55:03 PM by PtBobSup »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 09:08:29 PM »
When you flip someone the bird.... it's not actually supposed to...er flip.  ;D

You win Bob, that's graphic, and who can resist that thread header warning?

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »
WOW Bob!!!!!!!! I was under the impression that you had a chunk taken out of your finger or something but not an entire distal phalanx!! So sorry. Hope you heal quick and can get back in the water soon.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard