Author Topic: Do The Shark Walk, Baby  (Read 3539 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Do The Shark Walk, Baby
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
It was blowing like stink at my house this morning, whitecaps and bulk water movement from close in out to the horizon. Looked like a Maliko to me. then I looked at the Kahana cam to see how it looked there--and saw surfers playing in glassy waist-to-head sets. What???

So I headed for Kanaha and found glass, and waves, and only a few people out. The wind took a right turn even before Ho'okipa and any Maliko run would have ended in Honolulu. So I went surfing.

On the way out a girl yelled something to me that I couldn't hear, and I saw quite a few people paddling in. Only about five people in the lineup. I caught a few waves, a couple head high and nicely formed, and then pulled back into the lineup to talk between sets. One of the guys said "did you see the shark".

Nope.

"It went right through the lineup. I don't think it was big, but a lot of people headed in."

Aha.

Surfed until I needed to leave to take care of some registration stuff--about three hours. Only five or six of us in the lineup, including the lifeguard and one prone girl (very cute). Lots of waves. Lots of rides, no crowd.

I love sharks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do The Shark Walk, Baby
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »
I was out there today and heard the girl yell about the shark.  Didn't see anything.  I ran in to her later at the Hi-Tech store and asked here about it. She thought it was a shark, but couldn't be sure.  Saw PB out there and had a bunch of fun waves. The crowd was really thin considering there was no wind and wave conditions were actually pretty good.  Some good head high sets rolling through on a regular basis.  Not saying there wasn't a shark, I know they are out there, and I don't spend much time in the water after a fall, but I think the publicity recently has many spooked.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
Wish I had gotten out for some rides although having a shark cruise right through the lineup would be enough to send me to the beach, if only just to change my board shorts. Sounds like we are in for some big surf tomorrow through Saturday if the forecast is accurate.  

For what it's worth, I saw an awful lot of baitfish and a lot of big splashes yesterday on our Maliko downwinder. Also noted only one turtle, usually I see at least 6 to 10. Kind of spooky as far as I was concerned.

JLK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
What a score I guess the way things have gone around here is making people a little paranoid.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »
Just spoke with my buddy who was next to her when she saw something today.  She pointed out about 50yds beyond impact zone and he couldn't see anything. 

Looking forward to more size in the coming days.  That's wave size. ;)
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
I was out there today and heard the girl yell about the shark.  Didn't see anything.  I ran in to her later at the Hi-Tech store and asked here about it. She thought it was a shark, but couldn't be sure. 

Maybe I could hire her to stand on the beach here in Newport and yell "Shark!"  Might clear out a few of our surfers. 

I always get a kick out of tourists here that see dolphins and freak out thinking they are sharks.  They see that fin and that's where their mind immediately goes. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal