Author Topic: Help the newb. Vent plugs and storage  (Read 5862 times)

SUPnKev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Help the newb. Vent plugs and storage
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
Can you guys clue in the newb here?  I am wondering about vent plugs and storage.  I live in Maryland, so it gets hot and humid in the summer and freezing cold in the winter.  My current shed does not allow for me to store the paddle boards (looking to build a 12'X 20' end door shed next year).  I haave BICs that do not have vent plugs, and two 14s that do.  I have all the boards on a home built PVC pipe rack in my back yard. All are in board bags (reflective) and mostly out of direct sunlight.  My main question is, should I be taking the vent plugs out completely, or just opening them up but leaving the screw in the threads?

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: Help the newb. Vent plugs and storage
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »
I can think of only 2 reasons not to open vents fully when storing boards long-term:

1)  Wherever you are storing your board gets really wet and water might enter an open vent hole

2)  You forget to put the vents in when you go back on the water

SUPnKev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
I guess I should have also mentioned that besides the board being in board bags, they are stored on the rack, up on edge. So Im not really thinking there is much chance of water getting in.  Me forgeting to put the plugs back in is a serious concern though.  Thanks for the info.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
Removing the plugs all the way is probably overkill, but I could see myself doing it just to be sure.  The changes in pressure and temp are likely so gradual that just having the screws opened up will probably do what they need to do.  But then again, it'd be more obvious to me that the screws were altogether missing than if they just needed to be tightened up.

If you want to take them out Just duct tape them to the board or your paddle handle with an excessive amount of tape so they'll be obvious.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
Ditto what Bulky said.

Whenever I remove the vents I slap a piece of masking tape near the hole so it's obvious and I don't remove it unless the vents are in.

From what I've read though, cold weather won't bother the board. Overheating in summer is mostly what you want to avoid.

I still open the vents for a few hours as the seasons change to let my boards breath, just to be safe.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:47:58 PM »
Hey Kev, I am in Maryland too, and since my Infinity has a flush mounted passive gore tex vent and it is a real pain to remove, I just leave it in and assume it will take care of any pressure/temp/humidity.  Also, I paddle through the winter so hopefully that does the job, but my old Bark had an active screw in vent and I did remove that routinely so the board could totally breathe.  Depends on how easy your vent plugs are
 to remove.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 07:56:51 AM »
Guys

My vote is open the vent plug and keep dry

Can't lose with this

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
Hey Kev, I am in Maryland too, and since my Infinity has a flush mounted passive gore tex vent and it is a real pain to remove, I just leave it in

As you should.  The whole point of goretex vents is that you can "set it and forget it".  No need to remove or loosen them.  That's what I go with on all my boards now.  Just one old one that still has a manual screw.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:12:39 AM »
Set it and Forget it?? Is there actually something you should do to set the Gortex plugs? I have one on Hobie ATR11 I bought this summer and I've never done anything to set it is why I ask.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 12:56:30 PM »
Probably nothing you need to do.  I was speaking from having installed them on boards where you need to screw in the bolt. If you bought it on a new board it was probably done at the factory, but you can always check to make sure the bolt is just a little beyond hand-tight.  Manufacturer's torque spec is 1/2 ft-lb which is not a lot.  Don't put the socket in a ratchet head as that will easily overtorque it--use a straight screwdriver socket-driver.

But again, you probably don't even need to do anything.  If it seems firmly shut with your fingertips, it's good.  You're already past step 1 (set it) and now need only concentrate on step 2 (forget it).  Most of us can do that quite well.  Go surf!  ;)
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
Thanks,I didn't see anything to do to it manuel so I thought it was fine. My Naish,etc have the solid screw and o ring not the Gortex plug like this Hobie.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 08:31:58 AM »
My first board was a Riviera which had a plastic Gore-Tex vent.  They said the vent was maintenance free and nothing needed to be done.

As soon as I got it home I checked the vent and found that it was screwed in only half way. When I removed it and looked inside, the hole was caked with gritty white dust from the factory. I cleaned out the hole and re-set the vent properly.

No matter what type of vent a board has, I always remove and inspect it to make sure there is a good clean seal. I also like to put a little silicone grease on the threads and O ring. Then screw it back in just tight enough to keep the water out.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 12:02:39 PM »
You CANNOT "set and forget" gore-tex vents if used in salt water. They need to be rinsed off with fresh water to prevent salt crystals from plugging up the vent.

Also I would avoid using silicone grease on any o-ring. If you don't know what the o-ring is made of then you can damage it by using the wrong lubricant. But since it is a very light torque on the plug there is really no need for any type of lubricant.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »

Also I would avoid using silicone grease on any o-ring.

Silicone grease is the most commonly used O-ring lubricant. It is recommended by many manufacturers for things such as swimming pool pumps and filters, underwater metal detectors, camera cases, just about anything with an O-ring that needs to seal out water. They claim it will prolong the life of the O-ring.

There may be different types of silicone grease out there. It should say on the tube that it's made specifically for O-rings. I buy mine where swimming pool products are sold.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal