Author Topic: Charleston, SC  (Read 5740 times)

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Charleston, SC
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »
Anyone from CHS on the forum?  Thought I'd get a thread together to discuss local conditions.

FollySUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
Hi - I live in charleston, typically surf at the folly pier, east 7th, or the washout.  I'm usually out by myself but would be happy to meet up and swap boards for a bit of you'd like - or at least grab a beer after.   

Andy

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:25:39 PM »
I live on Lake Murray in Gilbert, just outside of Lexington.  We have an active SUP club.   There also a large SUP club in Chucktown. Frequent club races and many larger events in the area.  Look me up if you want to go out on Lake Murray.   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:22:55 AM »
Nice to see there are some locals around. FollySUP, I typically put in just north of the pier.  I don't get out as often as I like, but I'll post up if I'm thinking about heading out.  I try and get out when the waves are a decent size, but the deciding factor is usually wind and tides.  I was out a week ago in some waist high sets.  The winter waves are definitely nice.

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:55:18 AM »
        We'll launch from 9th avenue on Isle of Palms or the County Park just above the  pier.- free parking in the winter. Or park in the commercial district(also free in winter)  to use the outdoor shower at the public restrooms.  A  mixed group  of Usual Suspects,  everybody is friendly, even the proners.

ZooSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
Hey All,

Friendly greetings from a Yankee!  ;)

I am in the process of planning my yearly pilgrimage back to Charleston to visit the parentals this summer, and was looking for a race that coincides with my visit.

Does anyone know of any good links/resources to scour in hopes of finding something in the area for July? Last year I was down there and prepared to do the Shem Creek Shootout (website no longer up?), but the Tropical storm postponed to the following week.

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions/etc... that may be provided!

FollySUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
As far as I know the Shem Creek Shootout is no longer happening.  The shop that was coordinating it closed and nobody seems to have put together anything like it. 

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »
I also put in at 9th street IOP or Station 30 Sullivan's. 

The Shem Creek Shootout was run last year by a very dedicated civilian, Charleston Watersports had already gone out for business.  There are some "pick up" races some Saturdays put on by a local.

Now that I found this thread I'll check it every once in a while.

We just had the Chucktown Showdown. 

Next races:   

The  Lake Murray SUP Classic is September 26th-28th,
Golden Nugget on Oct 11, put on by Half Moon Outfitters.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 05:49:34 AM »
Let me know if anyone is interested in the Lake Murray SUP Classic in the Columbia/Lexington SC area.  I am helping to organize and run this event. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal