Poll

Are Starboard SUP losing their way with the new designs?

Yes, they've lost it!
9 (20.9%)
No,
11 (25.6%)
Maybe?
7 (16.3%)
Yes, but one design is good!
2 (4.7%)
No, all the designs are awesome!
14 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Starboard Losing Their Way In 2014  (Read 25762 times)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Losing Their Way In 2014
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
Thanks

I am aware of his blog spot..

I bet he's waiting for the ideal craft too?

To be honest, my Richmond 16' is in another league compared to any Starboard SUP I've used.

I would say I've found what I was looking for.

Here's a blog of my latest trip on it - http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45435-Ardnamurchan-The-Farthest-Shore
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
Yahoo

I got my new 9'8 carbon wave pro and have had a chance to ride 3 times in larger for us surf.

Yahoo yahoo    thank you starboard for both the great board and service.

Sorry I bought a custom when I should have just stayed home. I like my custom but its too wide. Their excuse, you need to go wider when you go shorter.  Yeah I rode an 8'5 at 29 and they told me my 8'2 had to be wider at 30.5. Go figure, I would have rather had the same width and tried to keep it so on my order. I guess they know better and lost a customer who does buy a few boards every year.

I am back and will probably order another carbon this spring.

Those of you looking for a bigger wave board, do look at the pro wave carbon 9'8. It is so smooth and light. It rides like a cadillac compared to my small board sports cars. Just right for the bigger stuff.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
UKRiverSurfer, I think this could be just what you're looking for:

http://sup-crossing.blogspot.ca/search?updated-max=2014-05-16T03:52:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=14&by-date=false

I've been waiting for a clever design for packing large amounts of gear from at least one manufacturer. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is it.

Bart doesn't count. He's nuts. I see him in Kahalui harbor most mornings, doing one lap after another, paddling like something gnarly was chasing him. I know it's great conditioning, but the capability of doing something hard and boring every morning is not part of my makeup. So I dismiss it with a simple "he's nuts". 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2014, 12:08:39 AM »
On the other hand…
Starboard must be "listening" !

I see the 2015 catalog with lots of touring models that look stunning (couple of them with a hatch for really long trips).
While I don't really agree with all the new models, Starboard still have a huge range. They've kept one of their best secrets too: the Sprint 17'6" x 23". Speaking of which, that board is very versatile.
I highly recommend people to try it for more than a few minutes to give it a chance. It's so different that it will take a little time to get used to it.

Here are some highlights of their 17'6 sprint board:
It could be 21" or 22" wide if it were only designed for flat water, but as it turns out, it has great glide on flat water and handles some DW with more ease than you'd think.

Then there are other models that I am unsure about. Perhaps SB is just experimenting with couple of new designs, but before praising / mocking, I will have to try those new 2015 models.

In short, SB isn't loosing their touch - far from it … in my opinion.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2014, 07:32:58 AM »

Here's a blog of my latest trip on it - http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45435-Ardnamurchan-The-Farthest-Shore

That's a great trip. I've SUP'd from Arisaig to Mallaig and Arisaig south through the Skerries and a lot of seals around the peninsula to Arisaig House (approx 16kms) last summer. Going south was much more interesting than going North. We had both RedPaddle 14' and 12-6s but on the day we did the southern trip the valve starting leaking on the 12-6 and I had to paddle a 10-6 Ride (surf style) instead. It was still an awesome paddle.  Beautiful part of the coast. Near Mallaig north of Loch Morar it is pretty bleak.

Would love to have the time to do the whole of the Scottish Coast on a SUP!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:38:16 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2014, 07:47:10 AM »
Of course they lost their way.  They were a windsurf company who followed the $$ to SUP!!
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal