Author Topic: twin-fins-or-more-on-a-race-board/so it begins  (Read 139329 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: twin-fins-or-more-on-a-race-board/so it begins
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »
It might just be my own weirdness, but what I like best about this multi-fin experimentation is that it's 100% contrary to the "conventional wisdom" that using more than one fin is for surfing only.  It's not only doing something different, it's doing something that has been "proven" to be wrong, to the point that almost nobody questions that a single fin is best.

So, if you see someone paddling (no surfing) on a board with 2 or 3 fins, they're clueless, and way behind on the knowledge curve.  Unless they're geniuses, and way ahead.

Mike, Your board is almost ready to hit the Coast ProBox Finsystem Style with Triple Delight Twin fin set up my friend. Thanks for believing in me and taking your board to another level. Mahalo, Larry
Larry--looks like you replied to me, but meant this for another Mike (mik911?) who I'm jealous of because of the new fin setup you're doing for him!

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
It might just be my own weirdness, but what I like best about this multi-fin experimentation is that it's 100% contrary to the "conventional wisdom" that using more than one fin is for surfing only.  It's not only doing something different, it's doing something that has been "proven" to be wrong, to the point that almost nobody questions that a single fin is best.

So, if you see someone paddling (no surfing) on a board with 2 or 3 fins, they're clueless, and way behind on the knowledge curve.  Unless they're geniuses, and way ahead.

Mike, Your board is almost ready to hit the Coast ProBox Finsystem Style with Triple Delight Twin fin set up my friend. Thanks for believing in me and taking your board to another level. Mahalo, Larry
Larry--looks like you replied to me, but meant this for another Mike (mik911?) who I'm jealous of because of the new fin setup you're doing for him!

Opps, You are right Mike!
Allison Race Fins

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm stoked at the progress on my board, Larry!
Looking good so far!

Keep us posted!
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm stoked at the progress on my board, Larry!
Looking good so far!

Keep us posted!

Mike, Your Ron House is Proboxed my friend. I will have your Triple delight fins done in a couple of days then I am going to test ride your board before you pick it up. Mahalo
Allison Race Fins

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »
Sweeet!!
Let's hear how she rides.
See you in a few days.
Mike

Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"

BroDog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »
Went out with Larry Allison this morning to help test Mik911's new Probox fin set-up.  I'm not familiar with a hybrid board like the Ron House Coastal Cruiser.  I primarily ride race boards and fun surf shape boards.  Its always fun to try something different.  The Coastal Cruiser looks like a great downwinder and surfer.

Today's conditions at Cabrillo was not great for sup paddling.  Not another paddler in the water.  Yet the wind chop and swells coming into the harbor acted like a mini downwinder for us to test with.  Paddling upwind was work, which is expected.  The fin set-up of 2 Chill twins & Larry's new invention, the Gladiator keel made for a stable and dry paddle into the wind.  I felt confident paddling out.  Without this fin set-up, I guessing it would have been quite tippy and unpleasant.

Turning around for the downwind part of the run, I was surprised at the quickness and planing of this board.  The board seemed to jump at the chance to go fast on the small swells.  Not sure if this was because it was a downwind board, the new fin set-up, or both.  Larry commented that the tail of the board rode high as opposed to s single fin, which sucks the board down into the water.  I'm sure Larry can explain this to us non-techies.

I imagine the best evaluator would be Mik911 who owns this board and is familiar with how it normally handles.  Definitely work with Larry Mik911 on how you board functions.  Larry loves dialing in his Probox system for his loyal followers.

Aloha!

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2014, 10:14:27 PM »
Bro--thanks for the pics! and review.
I spoke to Larry today, and am anxious to paddle my 'new' board!
Will be picking it up tomorrow (Yess!!)
Full report to follow.......
Mike

Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »
Picked up my Ron House Coastal Cruiser today from Larry, with a fresh set of ProBox + Triple delight fins.
The set up looks killer, and workmanship is top notch.  I was anxious to get it in the water, so went directly to my usual spot in Torrance Beach, where I paddle up/down the beach breaks and around the peninsula, surfing sand bars and reefs.
1-2 ft swell, 5 knot winds, and some surface texture today.

My first impression upon hopping up on my board was "WOW"!!  This thing is super stable.  Much more so than with any previous single fin on this same board.  The dramatic increase in stability made my board feel like it was 1-2" wider!! I previously paddled this board with the stock Riviera "SR" fin, Gladiator Hybrid, and Ninja single fins.  The current Triple Delight felt rock solid in the surf zone and light chop.  Tracking was straight and true also.

Paddled into a few waves, and the 12'6" responded confidently.  Coming off the bottom turn, the board shot back up the face, and the fins locked into the upper 1/3 of the wave face, with no slippage.  Dang....this is cool!!
Couldn't resist paddling back out and repeating same scenario:)

Bonus: Kelp shedding is a non-issue with these shorter, and raked fins.
Our rocky coastline is heavily surrounded by thick mats of kelp.  The fins skimmed over the carpet with no hiccups.

Thanks Larry--this Triple Delight set up is perfect!!!!
Mike

Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2014, 08:17:13 AM »
This is the setup I tried today. Yesterday I did a short paddle with a Danny Ching single fin. In similar conditions.
I guess you have to be a decent and experienced paddler, because a regular wannabe like me can't tell any difference in stability or tracking. No idea if there's any speed difference. I figured I would feel some stability I or tracking difference easier, the way you guys are raving.
It looks cool, doesn't hit the odd rock that sticks up here, and sheds the weeds we get too. So still some advantages.  ;)
Picture at bottom was yesterday,  choppier by same wind.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2014, 09:25:14 AM »
This is the setup I tried today. Yesterday I did a short paddle with a Danny Ching single fin. In similar conditions.
I guess you have to be a decent and experienced paddler, because a regular wannabe like me can't tell any difference in stability or tracking. No idea if there's any speed difference. I figured I would feel some stability I or tracking difference easier, the way you guys are raving.
It looks cool, doesn't hit the odd rock that sticks up here, and sheds the weeds we get too. So still some advantages.  ;)

Interesting 55, Can you take a pic looking down at your fin set up from the tail standing up. The angle in the pic is misleading to me to check your placement. Mahalo, Larry
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »

55, Not seeing the straight down angle pic, I am guessing by your pic that your Race Board Fin set up is like a Surfboard 2 Plus on lay out having the front fins forward with the center fin back as your pivot point. This would cause your front fins to react and the center fin then would react secondly working against the front set up on a Race Board. Also your fin toe looks over angled especially if you set it off the back of the ProBox and not back of the trailing edge of the Twins like in the diagram below! Another thing is there a Ventral fin on that board because over 12'6" Board length a Ventral plays a key roll because of the beam reach from the rear fins needed for projection. Look forward to your response to help you ge your Nice looking Board dialed in.

Instruction lay out for ProBox Twins on a Raceboard.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152278551023545.1073741833.85121998544&type=1
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:29:41 AM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »
Yes, the twins are forward the centerbox. This is because I had to put in the hd foam inserts before I had full instructions, and the intention was never to use center fin together with twins, but put in the forward ventral.
Board is 16-5, and narrow tail, so to get distance between twins, I moved them forward.
Then I have seen you are using the trifin setup. I tried it out,  So the three boxes are not the way you recommend.

And looking at those fotos you show in link, I probably got the Toe- in wrong too. I looked at some other instructions and put 1/8" toe over the length of the jig, not 1/8" over the length of a 10" (?)  box. That 10" (?) dimension is not called out.

Given toe-in is too much, what to do?  Can it help to use the angled inserts?  Is there any point in installing forward box for the ventral? 

My first SUP build, so ive learned something. Thinking of building another one next winter.

Thanks for helping an amateur.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »
Yes, the twins are forward the centerbox. This is because I had to put in the hd foam inserts before I had full instructions, and the intention was never to use center fin together with twins, but put in the forward ventral.
Board is 16-5, and narrow tail, so to get distance between twins, I moved them forward.
Then I have seen you are using the trifin setup. I tried it out,  So the three boxes are not the way you recommend.

And looking at those fotos you show in link, I probably got the Toe- in wrong too. I looked at some other instructions and put 1/8" toe over the length of the jig, not 1/8" over the length of a 10" (?)  box. That 10" (?) dimension is not called out.

Given toe-in is too much, what to do?  Can it help to use the angled inserts?  Is there any point in installing forward box for the ventral? 

My first SUP build, so ive learned something. Thinking of building another one next winter.

55, Not to worry we can fix this. Henrik in Sweden has Proboxes contact him and get 2 more. You will have to remove those 2 Proboxes to change the toe, but we will reset new ones in the same locations after you tell me the width from rail to rail measuring over the center of the ProBox you have in the board now.
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »

55, After you give me the measurements we will reroute your Proboxes out using the aid of your install jigs so the router cuts alittle of the ProBox at a time with the guide of the jigs for safety. I will explain on the Facebook link below with multi pics and you should not have any problems. Just go slow and take alittle material at a time from the center of the Probox opening to the outside.
Facebook Link for instructions. (Will have completed by tomorrow) https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison?fref=photo
Allison Race Fins

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »
Larry, have you considered slotting a blank ProBox insert to adjust the toe?  This should be easy on a router table, especially with a zero cant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal