Author Topic: 404 splits from Riviera????  (Read 5353 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
404 splits from Riviera????
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
I was paddling to day and met a guy who just bought a 12'6 404 from the Riviera closeout sale. He paid $400. for a brand new blem. He said Riviera is dumping all their 404 boards because they had a not-so-friendly split with Danny and Company.  ??? Here is where Danny has gone.  http://californiastandup.com/brett-simpson-joins-danny-chings-hippostick-paddles-as-vp-of-sales/
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 404 splits from Riviera????
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:11:21 PM »
That's quite a smokin deal!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
We went to the warehouse sale, they had some crazy ridiculous deals.  One of the guys that worked there said the split was amicable and that they had done this warehouse sale 2 years ago and were just trying to clear some inventory. It wasn't all 404 boards, lots of Riviera and T. Patterson boards too. I almost bought one of those "Doors" for 400 but decided against it.

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
so maybe they should rename company ....202

;D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
What true race boards are left under the Riviera umbrella? Gerry left (not that he was a racer , but a hall of famer), then Danny left. I think they need a young defining (name brand) racer and board shaper to stay on the fore front. Maybe they can steal Kody Kerbox from Naish?
It's not overhead to me!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 06:49:53 PM »
What true race boards are left under the Riviera umbrella? Gerry left (not that he was a racer , but a hall of famer), then Danny left. I think they need a young defining (name brand) racer and board shaper to stay on the fore front. Maybe they can steal Kody Kerbox from Naish?

I don't think any.  All of their 12'6 and larger boards are geared towards recreational touring and cruising.  Wide, thick and heavy.  Their warehouse sure was impressive though, seems like they definitely have the cash to get someone well known to race for them.  Hard to think Kody would leave Naish right now; seems like between him, Kai, Riggs and Casper, they are booming and building a really solid team.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
In my neck of the woods, the rumor is that 404 has partnered with Open Air Dynamics (aka Tahoe SUP) for their new line of SUP boards.

I don't have any deets, but I know Tahoe has switched their construction technology for 2014.  Improved durability.  Slightly lower cost.  I imagine the 404's will be the same.  I haven't been able to get any details yet... so it's all marketing at this point.   
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
And the answer is.......... Rob Rojas leaves Ohana and joins team Riviera.

[Joking aside, Rojas talked up the Riviera family spirit and looks forward to a long future as a team rider:

“I am stoked and excited to be able to be a part of the Riviera Paddlesurf Family along with my son, who is part of their junior team. I look forward to a long and lasting relationship with the Riviera Paddlesurf Family and I am so stoked to be a part of this great sport!!!”]  quote from SUPracer

It's not overhead to me!

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:23:08 AM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 06:51:20 PM »
Not too surprising. Sometimes the chemistry doesn't work, and any blending of two separately owned brands is bound to generate conflict.

I like both companies. Riviera does a great job at all they do. Good business people. They throw a hell of a party and don't do the "you're cool, you're in, you're not...go away" thing at all. If you showed up at the Riviera tent at the BOP, asked questions and was nice they'd slip you an invitation for the after party. Smart, and nice.

Danny is a great guy, with the rational reserve that anyone learns when everyone wants a piece of him. I wish both companies nothing but success.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal