Author Topic: Should I buy a Fanatic AllWave?  (Read 37556 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I buy a Fanatic AllWave?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »
The judgement of what is a good piece of gear - of any type - is a matter of preference, but this is especially true with surf SUPs. What I like probably isn't a good indication that you would like it too, and vice-versa. The All Wave is the best case in point I can think of. I tried the 8-10 2013 and really did not like it at all. Other than stability, which is good for a board that short, I couldn't find one thing I liked about it. And I'm not that harsh about most boards. But many other people rave about the All Wave. So this really is a matter of one's personal preferences.

So my conclusion? If at ALL possible, make sure you try a surf SUP before you buy it.

What was it you didn't like?  Too floaty? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

vb_sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
Another Allwave guy here.  I'm 6'5", 235lbs, and i bought the 9'10" Allwave for myself and the 9'2" for my wife, also from JimK.  By the end of last season, I was perfering to ride my wife's 9'2" and it floats me just fine.  Whenever she's not using it, I am!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
Yes, I was almost going to buy a 9'6 Allwave and a number of members here suggested shorter.  I'm glad I settled on the 8'10.  It's a stretch for me, but I am catching on pretty quickly and I expect that I will not grow tired of it for a long time, maybe never. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »
I'm debating between a 9'6 Naish Mana (which I've ridden and like) and the Fanatic Allwave, which I've heard good things about from other riders. I'm 6'0, 185 lbs, and ride mostly knee high up to chest high waves, occasionally bigger, but mainly in that range.

I'm currently on a 9'6" Palm Head which is a local board here in Charleston, SC, decent enough board, but I'm ready to get something a bit more suited to surf.

Any comments/suggestions? Also, if anyone has either of these boards for sale, I'm in the market. I could maybe do a kiteboard/kite swap for one.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 01:25:19 PM »
Hi APPST... perfect day to ask that... I just finished a 3 hour session on my Mana.
Depending on how much experience you have, at you're size, you could easily go shorter. Both the Allwaves and the Manas are good boards, and are both VERY stable... even at shorter lengths.

I Currently own a 9'5 Mana (2013) and an 8'10 Allwave (2013).... for reference, I am 5'11 214 lbs
I have previously owned Allwaves 9'6 and 9'10

They surf differently.
The Allwave surfs more progressivly, and the Mana, more traditionaly... if that makes any sense.
I am having a hard time figuring exactly why I enjoy my 9'5 Mana so much... since I was more than ready to move down from the 9'6 Allwave.

Best I can do...
The Mana is GREAT for smaller 0-4' gentle waves... the pronounced tail rocker makes it SO easy to roll back and forth on the shoulder.... just stand on the tail and swing the nose effortlessly back and forth... My favorite word for the Mana is "Swoopy" :D
When turning the Mana...I don't rail surf it as much as I tail surf it

I had a BLAST on the Mana for my 3 hour session today... perfect waves for it. Smiles all day.
It's also become my flat-water board. Plenty of float, really stable.

OK... here's where the difference comes in...

Yesterday... the waves were on... full on.... well overhead and breaking HARD. I took the Allwave. I never went out, because it was NOT a day to go out alone, but I would never use the Mana in those conditions. The Allwaves work very well on good days. They also work really well in small weak waves.... I just use the Mana on small days cuz it is more relaxing and wicked fun.

When the going gets tough... I ride the Allwave... not the Mana, or my 8'11 Hobie RAW.... I fear they will snap.
Allwaves are VERY tough. I worry much less about snapping them.... and they do not show any paddle chips etc.

If I was only going to have ONE board... I would go with the Allwave, because it can easily surf anything up to double overhead... and it is tough as nails.... probably size for size.... the Allwaves are more stable, because the rails are slightly thicker than the Mana.

You may really want to consider the 9'2 Allwave... I don't think you would be disappointed... at 185, it will float you high and dry and feel solid under you... probably less expensive as well.... and since you are already on a 9'6.... you probably find the 9'2 Allwave, MORE stable than your board.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
Let me add this to what supthecreek says.  I'm about 185 lbs too and I am finding that the 8'10 AllWave floats me and catches waves very easily.  I went through a great deal of concern about buying a board under 9' because I'm not that experienced.  But I am having a blast on the 8'10 and I have no regrets.  I'm very glad that I did not go longer.  You might consider that size if you are wanting a board that surfs well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:27:48 PM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 08:26:28 PM »
I've seen H2O on his AW and he has no problem with floating or catching waves.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »
Hey Rat, I'm still looking good for Sat at SanO, if you're still available.   Swell direction and tide don't look that favorable, but we could go a little further south if there is nothing at DP.  There are some other choices that could be paddled to or driven to.  

Only possible hitch is if the doc does not give me the OK to surf after the punctured eardrum.  Have been high and dry for almost 3 weeks.  I think enough time has passed and I'm good to go though.  Will find out on Tue.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:37:52 PM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »
Sounds good.  Keep me posted.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »
Cool, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I've surfed in the past, then got into kiteboarding, and naturally had to have something to fill the void during windless stretches, so now I love SUP surfing. I would say that we are typically riding knee to chest high waves. I have a friend with the 9'6" Mana and the few times he let's me ride it, it's way more stable than my board and just super easy to ride.

I want a board I can progress with into more carving cutbacks, but still be able to cruise and nose ride a bit. I don't foresee going out in overhead waves, mainly because it's rare we get them.

Last, I'm hard on gear, it's not that I don't take care of it, but I'm definitely accident prone with equipment, so the more durable the better.

So, with all of that said, it sounds like the AW might suit my needs better, just want to make sure it still will take care of the small gutless stuff on the east coast.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
By the way if anyone has either board for sale, shoot me a PM. Might trade for kite gear as well, if anyone is interested.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »
I ride my AllWave 8'10 in knee-high gutless surf all of the time.  I've had it about a month and surfed it many times already.  I am fairly new to SUP, but I go out almost every day.  I'm going out tomorrow morning before work and the forecast is 1 -2 and very weak.  My board catches and rides those waves very well.  If you are a fairly experienced surfer, you will have no trouble on the 8'10.  Of course, buying the longer AW's is not a mistake, you will have fun on any of those, I'm sure.  There are so many positive endorsements for them on this thread alone.  I'm just saying that the AW's are very floaty and very stable.  If you want to just cruise, go longer.  If you want to surf aggressively, go shorter.  Either way, you won't be sorry.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:45:21 PM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 11:43:21 AM »
By the way if anyone has either board for sale, shoot me a PM. Might trade for kite gear as well, if anyone is interested.

Check Distressed Mullet and the Wilmington, NC Craigslist. There have been a few for sale in the past couple of months. Not too bad of a haul from where you are at. If you find one here in Wilmington that you're interested in, shoot me a pm and I'll be happy to go check it out in person and give you an honest assessment.

Or check with JimK, he gave me a good deal on my 2013.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
Ya JakeSUPTX, I'm actually from Wilmington. I've checked with Jim and will probably go with the deal he provided, just trying to work it all out between selling some kites and the board I have now to even it out.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »
It's been roughly a month since I bought my 2013 9'2" Fanatic Allwave, I've probably had 10 sessions on it, and it is a major improvement over my old board. I generally think that ability shows through regardless of equipment, but this board has improved all aspects of my riding. It's plenty stable, and I can catch more waves on it than my old 9'6".

I really can't say enough about it, the only comparable board I can compare to is a Naish Mana 9'5" and when directly ridden back to back, the Naish seems to track a bit quicker, but the Allwave is better rail to rail, swing weight wise. The Allwave feels more nimble, etc. The Allwave's build quality seems  better even though I'm sure they come out of the same factory.

All in all, I would strongly advise it to anyone thinking about making the purchase, the 9'2" is a good size so far too, I've not had any trouble catching knee to waist high waves which is mostly what we've had.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP