Author Topic: Should I buy a Fanatic AllWave?  (Read 37437 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Should I buy a Fanatic AllWave?
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »
I'm a middle-aged guy who has surfed all of his life, but I'm new to SUP.  I quickly became able to catch and ride waves on my Edge Elite 10'6" beginner surf SUP, but I'm already getting frustrated with it's inability to turn on a wave.  It turns, but it's like turning a freighter.  I don't need to slash and rip, but I do want my board to turn a little better.  

I'm on the verge of buying a 9'5" Fanatic AllWave.  I'm about 185LBS trying to get down to 175LBS.  Does anyone have thoughts on an AllWave for my ability level? I'm still a little bit of a tippy beginner in some respects, but I can catch and ride waves.  I live a couple blocks from the ocean and am on an SUP 3 or 4 times a week, so I hope to improve rapidly.  

Thoughts, advice, suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:46:23 PM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

TomKat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy a Fanatic AllWave?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »
I am 5'10" 170lbs and have been SUP surfing for a few years. I have the 8'10" AllWAve. Got it from Jim K. I got it for windy choppy conditions. It is a great all around board. A buddy of mine has the 9'8" or 9'10" Walden Magic model and tried my 8'10" AW and now wants to buy it. I'd see if you can demo one. The 8'10" might be a jump for you but I think you will grow into it.
Thanks
TomKat

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »
Just have to add... any advice that TomKat gives is worthy advice!

Allwaves I have had , in order
9'6
9'10 - as small/choppy day board and my year round go to for flat-water
8'10
All purchased from JimK at Extremewindsurfing (Zone Sponser)

My stats
65 yrs old - 49 years surfing experience
220 lbs
245 lbs with winter wetsuit
I ride the 8'10 as my winter board because it is VERY stable, floats me easily and surfs anything from 1' mush to well overhead.

If you are uncomfortable jumping down to the 8'10, I think you would be very happy with a the 9'1 Allwave.

You will find it as stable as the board you have now, it turns very easily and is bulletproof.
It will hold it's value when you are ready to move on.
Make sure to move the center fin all the way forward if you want the easiest turning.

Researching a new SUP  is half the fun... enjoy!

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:54:55 PM »
I weight 215 and have a 9'6" all wave it was my first SUP.
I have had it for about year now . I feel I could have gone down
to a 9'2" easily after about 4 months.
If I were you I would consider a coreban fusion also.
It's always better to demo first if you can.

bigbear

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »
Awesome board! definitely bulletproof-broke my leg when it hit me and not a ding!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »
Awesome board! definitely bulletproof-broke my leg when it hit me and not a ding!

Uh...cool.  I think.   :o
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
If BigBear couldn't put a ding in it... you know it's tough  :D

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
I'm 6"2 190-195 and my allwave is 9'2" and I could definitely go smaller.

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »
I'm about 170 and also have an Allwave 8'10 that I got from JimK. Very stable and worth the money.

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »
Given your description of what you want out of a board you're definitely on the right track with the All Wave. The Coreban Fusion is also a blast. You also might want to look at a Joe Blair 8-11 or 8-10. Tons of float, catches waves easily and is a treat to ride in the style you're looking for. Also less than $900 new. He's in Solana Beach and you can give one a test ride easily. I'm a little heavier than you and love mine. Good luck in your search.

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
Got one of those, too....abmatt is right on all counts and Joe is a good guy, was very friendly and helpful on the phone.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »
Hey,

thanks everybody for your endorsements Alll I can say is you can't go wrong with AW it is an amazing board and the 2014's in my opinion is tweaked up performance. So as Brian know I'd go with the 2014 AW

Thanks again
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
The always range will be too think and too much volume for your weight in any of the sizes. from what you say i think you would be frustrated and a little bored with it after 6mths. If you can get a cheap used one maybe but if not go with similar type of board you may be able to go a fraction smaller but thinner and less volume you will loose nothing in stability but gain in performance and will surf a lot more like a surfboard than a huge barge. The all wave would be ok if you were around the 220lbs + mark but at your weight you just won't be able to sink the rail. Take a look at some of the custom shapers out there to see where the surf side of things is heading and I don't just mean short sups

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 05:51:56 AM »
I got a 9'2" all wave this past July. Very stable, lots of fun, nose rides very well. I'm 5'7" 175 lbs. I tried sup the creeks 8'10" a couple of weeks ago with the twin fin setup in waist high waves and it was a lot of fun. good all round board.
Geoff C.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
The judgement of what is a good piece of gear - of any type - is a matter of preference, but this is especially true with surf SUPs. What I like probably isn't a good indication that you would like it too, and vice-versa. The All Wave is the best case in point I can think of. I tried the 8-10 2013 and really did not like it at all. Other than stability, which is good for a board that short, I couldn't find one thing I liked about it. And I'm not that harsh about most boards. But many other people rave about the All Wave. So this really is a matter of one's personal preferences.

So my conclusion? If at ALL possible, make sure you try a surf SUP before you buy it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal