Author Topic: Building Hollow woodies  (Read 15679 times)

paddlebuilder

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Building Hollow woodies
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
Monster Paint.....I used it on my 12-6 and it's holding up really well on that ne....hard to put an opaque  pad on a wood board!  :)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:12 PM »
Randy, where do you get your paulownia, and what dimensions are available?  I planked my first HWSUP in salvaged heart redwood, and it was heavier than I'd like.

paddlebuilder

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
Hi Andy,  I've been buying form two different sources.....Brad Tucker at Wood Surfboard Supply and David Sutton at http://www.paulowniaseed.com/.....David is low on inventory at the moment and recently told me that he will have stock in mid September.  David's prices are bit better than WSS but not by much.  Both guys can ship 8' stock by Fed Ex.  David can ship longer stock by common carrier but the lead times get long.  I hope that helps.

Randy

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:21 AM »
Randy, thanks for the info.  When you need longer stock, are you scarfing planks and then ripping them into strips, or do you use a butt joint located at a rib?  8' will be a bit short for at least one project that I have in mind.

Andy

paddlebuilder

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
Andy, I've created the longer lengths both ways but I prefer to land on a frame with the butts.  The scares had more glue line showing. That being said, with the longer stepped deck race/tour sups I can maintain full length pieces on the deck and use the shorts on the bottom.  For the 9' surf sup that I did I didn't worry about the butts and balanced the placement on both sides of the "stringer".

Randy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal