Author Topic: Wetsuit for So Cal Winters?  (Read 12802 times)

VistaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wetsuit for So Cal Winters?
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a new wetsuit for winter.  What kind of wetsuits do those of you in So Cal wear during the winter?  I have an old 3/2 full wetsuit with zipper in the back that is an extreme PITA to put on and take off (and not really designed for stand up). 

I'm leaning toward the SUPreme famer johns, or hybrid jacket top and maybe separate pants.  Any suggestions.  For those outside of So Cal that would like to chime in, the water temp in the winter here drops down to low 50s during the winter - air temp can be all over the place from low-40's to upper-60's in the winter.

Thanks in advance.
12'6" Ron House Coastal Cruiser
10' Red Paddle Surfer
10' Creed Kai

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wetsuit for So Cal Winters?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »
A lot depends on your own personal comfort and warmth level.  As a big guy (6-1, 255), I like the Oneill 2 mil farmer john and 3 mil boots with a 1.5 mil Long Sleeve top for cold or windy days.  The farmer john alone is plenty for all but the coldest days.  Some days the only thing I need are the booties.

Son (at 6-3, 200) likes a 3-2 from November to April.
Wife wore a 1.5 mil long sleeve short john last weekend in Santa Barbara.  Cold days she runs a 3-2 full roxy suit.
Daughter goes without until January and then short john until the end of March.

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
What he ^ said. 
I was good all winter with a 2mm farmer + fleece thermal top + boots.  I wasn't really "cold" and more often I was warm.  I'm about same size as SlatchJim so we have the same built in insulation. 
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »
Some days the only thing I need are the booties.

um....warn me on those days, I'll find another place to surf :)
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »
Yea, it's not my most flattering look.  ;D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
I tend to be economically inclined, I would go with a Hyperflex 2/3 and call it a day.  $100 - $129 and you're good.

A new suit, even when inexpensive, will always be better than a 2 year expensive set up.  At their price point the Hyperflex suits are practically disposable and probably not much more than a long sleeve top . . 

I used to buy $350 Excels for winter in Northern California.  Now I use a 3/2 Hyperflex during the summer and a 4/3 during the colder winter days.  Layering thermal rash guards is plenty for really cold days.  The 3/2 was actually enough for most of last winter (Water ~ 50 Air 45 - 55 degrees).

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »
Folks,

SUPreme is a division of the same company that owns Hyperflex. The price point Hyperflex (Access) has full suit 3/2 that is $89 (less for ZONERS) It is a real good suit for the money But.... They are NOT cut for SUP It is meant for surfing or Jetskiing

Hyperflex (at this point) only offers 1 model that works for SUP (It is a surfing suit line) it is called
AMP3 WIND It comes in several thicknesses and 4/3 is MORE than warm enough for NJ Winter SUS.
The SUPreme offers a FULL LINE of SUP specific models The BLADE is a full suit (Through the neck entry...lots of folks here will confirm its ease of entrance and exit) For Flatwater SUPreme Reach jackets (3 varieties) and Long Johns I have been using this system with "Wind breaker" top and bottom in the currently VERY COLD conditions and I'm comfy!
They also offer these in well cut womens line.
So Vista,
I spend time in SoCal (San Clemente) and I use the SUPreme Farmer john and Hybrid jacket for flatwater and I use the SUPreme Blade 3/2 most of the time SUS but I bring my Hyperflex AMP3 WIND 4/3 for those colder days (But this is overly warm) I know when I replace my 4/3 it will be with the SUPreme Blade 4/3

As far as cost the SUPreme is a bit less expensive than the corresponding Hyperflex (Which is a lot less than other brands)

Let me know if I can help
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »
I tend to be economically inclined, I would go with a Hyperflex 2/3 and call it a day.  $100 - $129 and you're good.

A new suit, even when inexpensive, will always be better than a 2 year expensive set up.  At their price point the Hyperflex suits are practically disposable and probably not much more than a long sleeve top . . 

I used to buy $350 Excels for winter in Northern California.  Now I use a 3/2 Hyperflex during the summer and a 4/3 during the colder winter days.  Layering thermal rash guards is plenty for really cold days.  The 3/2 was actually enough for most of last winter (Water ~ 50 Air 45 - 55 degrees).

Check Promotive for Hyperflex.  I am a member from coaching water polo and the 3/2 backzip Hyperflex full suit is $77.  I use it only for stand up, cause the neck design sucks for prone surfing.  Their top suit the "AMp3" is $165 for 3/2 and $177 for 4/3.  You have to be a member of a Promotive team.  But check it out, you might qualify.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »
Disco,
Where do you coach Polo?

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »
Some days the only thing I need are the booties.

um....warn me on those days, I'll find another place to surf :)
[

Yea, it's not my most flattering look.  ;D
/quote]

But if you're coming down the line wearing nothing but booties, I'll bet that few proners have the nerve to drop in  :o

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
have you guys seen the isurus wetsuits? the 2-3-2 is a great SUP fullsuit. i wore it all winter and a few times up in Santa Cruz with wind. I added a hood and was plenty warm. very light weight with the yamamoto rubber, dries fast etc all the good stuff... it's worth a look.

http://www.surfisurus.com/sup/

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 12:33:51 PM »
The Isurus Elite 232 is what I've got.  It is the most comfortable and warmest suit I've worn in the last 35+ years of surfing.  It is pretty flexible.  It is also the easiest front zip suit to get in and out and I've had Rip Curl F-Bomb, Body Glove Vapor and O'Neill Psychofreak.

I've not SUP with it yet since the water here in So. Cal is still hovering around 59-60* as of yesterday when I paddled in an old O'Neill 2mm short-john.  The Isurus is a bit pricey, but then tops of the line X-Cell, O'Neill, Rip Curl, etc. are about the same price or higher.  Check with PhaseOneSurf.com for a good price if you are looking for an Isurus.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
After moving to Northern California with a 3/2, and freezing myself crazy windsurfing off Davenport, I vowed I would never go back to a 3/2 again.  Having learned to SUP I now avoid the wind and rarely fall in.  This has significantly discounted the benefits of a good wetsuit.  You may therefore invest your resources in other Kai Lenny inspiring snake oil to help improve your game.  

You mentioned pricey  :o  For the price of the Isurus you could get a Hyperflex, a KeNalu and still have $66 left to spend on booties, any vice of your choice, or just step it up to a SUPreme.  

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:30:13 PM by Beasho »

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
After moving to Northern California with a 3/2, and freezing myself crazy windsurfing off Davenport, I vowed I would never go back to a 3/2 again.  Having learned to SUP I now avoid the wind and rarely fall in.  This has significantly discounted the benefits of a good wetsuit.  You may therefore invest your resources in other Kai Lenny inspiring snake oil to help improve your game.  

You mentioned pricey  :o  For the price of the Isurus you could get a Hyperflex, a KeNalu and still have $66 left to spend on booties, any vice of your choice, or just step it up to a SUPreme.  

Now that's Arbitrage!
(loved that video)

--
I SUP Surf routinely in Santa Cruz and Newport.  If it is in the high 50's and sunny = no wetsuit.
This in Santa Cruz with water temps recently around 54 degrees.  When I go down to
"Southern California" its like being in Hawaii!

People look at me like I'm crazy...but I say, we are "on the water" not "in the water".
I do make it a point not try to not fall until I'm warmed up.

If it is overcast I wear a 2mm top....sometimes if it is really cold I break out
a 10 year old 3/2 I had from longboarding prone.

I do want to get a new Matuse (or similar top) which I've read will dry much more
quickly - about $150...& maybe some wetsuit shorts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:40:56 PM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 08:15:37 AM »
Subber,

You can get SUPreme Reach jacket and shorts for a little less than the Matuse Top

My 2 cents
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard