Author Topic: take a walk on the wild side  (Read 7043 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
take a walk on the wild side
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »
How wild?  Well Lou Reed just passed on but after seeing this tiger shark tracking map, this map being of only one of the 7 sharks that were recently tracked, I was rather blown away with the area this one tiger operated in.  Here's a path mark of our southside run off Kihei and the tracking map of our hopefully uninterested pal.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: take a walk on the wild side
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »
Good grief! Looks like the tigers are following us down the south side!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
It's Boyum, they know it makes him nervous so they're having some fun at his expense.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »
Hehe...the first thing I think of is "don't fall....don't fall".

Last time we were on Maui a bunch of us did a southside run. Bill, Jack, and I ended up near each other for a bit. Bill was about 80' out in front of us, Jack was 20' to my left. He suddenly yells out Bill's name (in his thick Kiwi accent). Bill turns to respond and it causes him to fall....which causes Jack to scream "there's a GIANT tiger shark coming for you"....Bill suddenly looks very spry for a guy of such advanced age and is back up on his board in a sec. It seems the whole reason Jack was calling Bill to begin with was to let him know we had a big tiger in the water with us. All I saw was this big shadow in the water out in front of us and all I could think was "don't fall....don't fall".

Jack said later that the tiger changed direction when Bill fell and was headed straight for him.

I don't blame headmount for being a bit nervous. I might take my time getting back up on my board in some spots....when I'm sharing the water with the GW's on the Cape I get back on a bit quicker....OK...a LOT quicker.... ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:16:15 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Yeah, but Boyum tells me the guy up in the crane on the harbor jetty saw a big shark following you too PB!

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »
what stands out is that where the tourists snorkel ( Makena's Ahihi-Kina'u preserve),Wailea,Kihei,and Olowalu is where they are.Is it the suntan lotions?
Don't really care to look when they do the north shore,I already quit surfing Pier 1,jumping in the ocean to pee at Ka'a :'(
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »
looks like a female likes Ho'okipa :'(
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:07:42 AM »
Well, seeing as how we've just booked the first week in June for a stay in Kihei, I'd appreciate it if you Maui folk were kind enough to keep your pets locked up for a few days.     ;) ;D

Man, talk about yin-yang stoke building/smothering ..... as in I'm so excited about visiting Maui, and at the same time, reality could actually bite.   Ouch.

D.S.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:19:39 AM by Muskoka SUP »
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:25:17 AM »
Well, seeing as how we've just booked the first week in June for a stay in Kihei, I'd appreciate it if you Maui folk were kind enough to keep your pets locked up for a few days.     ;) ;D

Man, talk about yin-yang stoke building/smothering ..... as in I'm so excited about visiting Maui, and at the same time, reality could actually bite.   Ouch.

D.S.

Yes all this is true but what is also true is that quite a few of us have been doing many runs off Kihei without incident or even a sighting.  Yesterday I did a mile swim along that shore where we finish our runs, not too far offshore, about fifty yds., in crystal clear water.  So that is a reality as well.  I wouldn't worry.

I can't offer this same relief from danger when you're driving on our roads.  We must have the highest per capita traffic accident rate in the country.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »

D.S.

Yes all this is true but what is also true is that quite a few of us have been doing many runs off Kihei without incident or even a sighting.  Yesterday I did a mile swim along that shore where we finish our runs, not too far offshore, about fifty yds., in crystal clear water.  So that is a reality as well.  I wouldn't worry.

I can't offer this same relief from danger when you're driving on our roads.  We must have the highest per capita traffic accident rate in the country.

Thanks for the reassurance Bill.   I know that the statistics don't lie.  For both sharks AND driving. 

Since I'm really looking forward to getting in some downwinders - especially Maliko, I'll be looking you up for some guiding.   That is if I manage to survive the drive from Kihei to the North side.   ;)

D.S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »
That wasn't jack, it was a guy we called "Kiwi" and my feeble memory says his name was Mick. I miss the guy, he was fun to hang with, though a serious worry wart. I remember the time he decided he was responsible for Chan going much too far out on an offshore day (and that she was gonna die as a result). Same thing with Slater Trout, as if Slater OR Chan would be affected by any condition short of an offshore typhoon. Of course back then Slater was about 15 and a long way from squiring super-model Bassinger/Baldwin kids about.

As Boyum knows I don't worry much about sharks. I love seeing them, even the big ones, up close and personal. Silly, I know, it's like enjoying chainsaws, which a monster scar on my leg confirms is also a bad idea.  

BTW, from the title of this thread I thought Boyum was going to be coming out. I'm glad it's just about sharks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
OH...I thought is was Kiwi Jack...must have been on the bad ear side... :P

He was worried about Chan that day if I recall.....she disappeared way outside and was still waiting on the beach when we got in.....of course you guys were dragging a 250 lb anchor along... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
Mark, not Mick, and his last name was Jackson. I guess I still have a memory, it's just take a while to fulminate.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »

Be careful riding in red jeeps with way too much gear stacked on them and beware when you have to ride in the back of the pickup for the shuttle run. That just makes your odds worse.  ;D

SURFnTURF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »
We've got Mary Lee.

https://www.facebook.com/Maryleeshark

Up and down the US east coast, has recently been in the Edisto River near Charleston!
Beer is good for you!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard