Author Topic: Two Naish Nalu'z side-by-side..  (Read 3937 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Two Naish Nalu'z side-by-side..
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:39:48 AM »

I had the good fortune of acquiring an 11'4 and 10'6.5 before the cold sets in hard.

I wanted a board that I could scratch in from the outside better than I am able with my 9-2 Allwave. Jim K saved me from getting the Nalu 10'10.  As my focus is the surf, the 10'10 was both heavier and wider that either of these two. There was a comment that the 10'10 was a 'wave thief' but these more remind me of an old 'performance longboard' I have.   My timidity on late takeoffs and basic ability are serious shortcomings in our local dumpy conditions. These longer boards well out number shorter boards here - probably for a reason.

I remember Dwight's (DW) comment about the pleasing rocker in Naish boards.  To my old art school eye, the 11'4 is particularly beautiful.  The 10'6.5 seems a bit more flat but I have not put a stick to either.  I learned a new word 'foil' .. the thickness of a board along its length.  The Nalu is remarkable compared to an 11' coal barge I bought (and sold quickly) earlier this year.  It appears it must be easier to make a board in China where the nose is as thick as an inflatable than thin it out like these Naish'. 

I only got one chance to surf the 10'6.5 on a shoulder high, 8sec swell so far.  I would call the Nalu 'graceful'.  It calmly slides onto the shoulder without any alarm bells going off in my head.  At 30" wide, the first go-out was a tippy exercise compared to the Allwave.  I found I needed to stand farther forward than I expected and improved as I relaxed about a 1/2 hour into the session.  (personal stats: 5'11 x 180lbs .. 10lbs less than when I started SUP)

I have paddled both boards in flat water.  It may be 'last tried' bias, but I love to paddle the 10'6'5.  It is seated in the water better for me at 160L versus the 11'4 at 180L.  Both track well and keeping a bow wave is pretty easy.  ..the 9-2 Allwave is no drogue in flat water but not as much fun/fast as these.    ..it's a small thing, but the Naish deck pads are very comfortable.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Two Naish Nalu'z side-by-side..
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »
Glad you are liking those boards

Enjoy

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
Nice write up wetty!

If I was a skillionaire.... I'd probably own a 10'6.5... nice board ;)

So.... if you like paddling the 10'6.5 better.... what is the 11'4 for ? ;)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:37:08 AM »
Thanks Jim.

..Rick, With fewer fun calendars in my future I'm not shy about buying and selling to find what works best or me.  It took me a long time to learn but quality retains value a helluva lot better than mediocre product. The 11'4 will get passed along without a lot of pain.. but it's also useful out back at home.

Funny story that Saturday. 

I missed the money shot because the camera was in a bag - in a bag.. but these two ladies were walking along ..then, right in front of me, they turned their horses into the surf (59f).  They got their forelegs in, then the dark brown one fell ..chucking the woman on the right into the shorebreak. It was sunny so they kept riding. My wife and I both rode, so I like almost everything about horses.  Cheers.

Jim

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:04:21 AM »
I hear you buddy.... go big, go all in, and go NOW. The days tick away and regret is an avoidable emotion. That's why I surf a ton more than my younger friends.... they think they have all the time in the world, and I know I don't ;D

Good story.... it's nice that you live in a place where you can ride on the beach. I had a Quarter Horse growing up... back when you could ride anywhere.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 02:08:31 AM »
I have a 9-2 All Wave and got to trade with a guy that had a 10-6,5 for an hour. I asked him if he wanted to trade. He declined.
Tracks better, glides better, faster into and on wave ( super small knee high) . A bit tippier, more sensitive to fore aft weight placement.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
55.. That's funny; as I bought Rick's (creek) 9'10 AW ..then traded it for a 9'2 as the fellow who got the 9'10 was about 30lbs heavier than I.   I'll betcha tho' you would miss the Allwave when the water got cold and choppy.  The AW is a great confidence builder.

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 06:24:32 AM »
The 11'4 sits pretty.

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
Ah! ..first time I got to paddle them back-to-back. A nice little window opened.  Yesterday the 11'4 ..today the 10'6.5.  I was asked which was more stable: it turns out the 11'4 is.  I don't know exactly why because they're nearly the same profile.. both 30" wide.  One is 160L the other 180L. 

I can say with some confidence, I prefer paddling the 10'6.5.  It rocks from side-to-side more but feels faster in the water - easier to keep up speed.  And yet I always heard on this sort of slow stuff "waterline length" is your friend? 

I got about a 10-15 minute slog uphill in about 10-12kts that was tedious but Ok.. it was making the 180deg turn into quartering chop about 6" high spaced 3'..that had me peddling a lot .. then that same chop directly abeam was no fun 'tall.  I understand why you folks like downwind. ..same with kitesurfing: it's easy.

And compared to these two, the Fanatic Allwave is a concrete walkway. I'd think a one-legged, blind man would feel confident on one in a short time. Especially the 9'10.  The 9'2 is better for my 180lbs and nearly just as stable at 31.5". (the 9'10 is 33")

Jim

Jim

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
Looks like I qualify for one legged blind man... thankful for every day out on the water.  ;)
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 04:56:55 AM »
I do qualify SC.. I almost quit.  If it wasn't for my Poski Mule attitude and selling off the first few boards I got, I would not be having the fun I am having now.

Jim

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal