Author Topic: What board to build next for open water/chop  (Read 7619 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What board to build next for open water/chop
« on: November 02, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
My 8’- 5” wave board build went well. I am set for waves, at least at the moment. I am now looking for something to build for Flat/Chop/Open water and covering some distance.
Would like to ask for feedback from Zoners who have gone through a lot of boards covering all points on the spectrum. Knowing what you know now… after going through a ton of boards of different designs and sizes…what would you pick as a good next board to add (I know this will not be the last build).

For instance.  Have you gone to a dedicated race board then back to more of a hybrid surf shape? Have you gone to a 14’ only to return to 12-6” or even shorter? Or gone to a 14’ never to look back? If you want a work out… and paddle with other paddlers on shorter/slower equipment… will a 14’ be too fast to keep in a group without constantly stopping for others to catch up? Interested in the “why” as much as the “what”.

Wind and chop are a reality I can’t ignore. Serious racing is not a factor at this time. I’m not interested in something that is 100% oriented towards dead flat water as I will rarely  paddle in those conditions.
Side note: I’m 165+- Live on Florida’s East Coast with good access to Atlantic and Inland Waterway.  Complexity of shape and craftsmanship ability are not a limiting factor.
The types of board that I am considering building are:

1)   A 12’-6”X 29” hybrid,  along the lines of a PHS 12’-6”or Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12’-6” Something I could still wave ride, especially be able to explore different breaks up and down the beach, and/or when the outside reefs break in the winter.
2)   A 12’-6”X 29” along the lines of a Nash Glide, or SIC 12-6” Faster board that would be a lot better in Flat/Choppy water than trying to paddle my wave board… without being too much of a pain to transport and store.
3)   A 14’-0”X 29” Downwind shape similar to a SIC 14 Bullet or 14’-0” 2014 Nash Glide. Best speed over option one or two but more hassle to move and store, not really “surfable” to the extent of a 12’-6”.
What your opinion?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:51:49 AM by SUPflorida »

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What board to build next for open water/chop
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:19:46 AM »
Im not an expert. Bought a 12-6 Bark Competitor 3 years ago, then a 9-2 for waves and my 8 yr boy.
Decided to make a board for allround board for open water, chop and downwind.
Did a bunch of research and everyone said 14' is best. Decided to build a 16-5 first. If that doesnt compare well with my friends 14'*25 2013 Falcon, then I can scale back.
Given that you already have a wave board id go at least 14.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:00:21 AM »
Hey SUPfla
I think you may find your answer in your question. ;)

For instance.  Have you gone to a dedicated race board then back to more of a hybrid surf shape? Have you gone to a 14’ only to return to 12-6” or even shorter? Or gone to a 14’ never to look back? If you want a work out… and paddle with other paddlers on shorter/slower equipment… will a 14’ be too fast to keep in a group without constantly stopping for others to catch up? Interested in the “why” as much as the “what”.

Wind and chop are a reality I can’t ignore. Serious racing is not a factor at this time. I’m not interested in something that is 100% oriented towards dead flat water as I will rarely  paddle in those conditions.
Side note: I’m 165+- Live on Florida’s East Coast with good access to Atlantic and Inland Waterway.  Complexity of shape and craftsmanship ability are not a limiting factor.
The types of board that I am considering building are:

1)   A 12’-6”X 29” hybrid,  along the lines of a PHS 12’-6”or Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12’-6” Something I could still wave ride, especially be able to explore different breaks up and down the beach, and/or when the outside reefs break in the winter.
2)   A 12’-6”X 29” along the lines of a Nash Glide, or SIC 12-6” Faster board that would be a lot better in Flat/Choppy water than trying to paddle my wave board… without being too much of a pain to transport and store.
3)   A 14’-0”X 29” Downwind shape similar to a SIC 14 Bullet or 14’-0” 2014 Nash Glide. Best speed over option one or two but more hassle to move and store, not really “surfable” to the extent of a 12’-6”.
What your opinion?

I have a friend that rides an old 12'6 Glide. He just cruises up and down the coast... mile after mile. Rides every break he sees and just flat out rips on that board. He rides with grace and a fluid motion that is a joy to watch. He has an 8' SUS, but I far prefer to watch him on the glide...everything just looks so easy and smooth. Big waves and small.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:29:29 PM »
Creek...really appreciate the feedback...you have helped me narrow down my focus...the truth is I want to build both a 12-6 and a fourteen just don't have the time at the moment. I also want to get my wife into SUP, she's been paddling kayaks for years, has a good sense of balance so a 12-6 might be a good board to give to her if I decide to go up to a 14 next go around.

PaddleMonkey

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:22:33 AM »
If you really want to paddle distance in chop, I would look into something similar to Imagine Crossover before following the lines of a Naish Glide, SIC, or any other 12-6 single fin race design which can be pretty slow on a wave.  I often surf my 12-6 Falcon and though wave catching is effortless, it's difficult to generate speed down-the-line or maintain speed through turns with a single fin and soft rails.  You may also have problems distance paddling down coast in cross-chop, typical of FL's winter weather.  The Crossover has a slight displacement bow for better glide but retains a 2+1 and surfboard shape aft.  It's a compromise on both ends but if you really want to paddle side-chop for miles downcoast, and actually surf when you arrive, this might be your best option.  I suspect it would prob be ok in downwinders.  I've also heard the Coreban Alpha surfs ok for a distance board.  My neighbor does miles on his Carbon Blend in fairly rough conditions and it will well out-surf most of the above.  I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't designed a combined distance/surfing board (half displacement, half surf) especially for areas like northern California and Oregon.  I would call it the "Safari".   Maybe other Zoners can recommend the perfect board for this, say paddling 3-5 miles in cross or headwinds, being able to have a reasonable surfable session on location, then paddling back?   

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 04:09:10 AM »
Paddlemonkey your description of what I want to do is spot on...thanks for the heads up on the imagine surf design...your timing is impeccable...just picked up Masonite for my hot wire templates and my foam yesterday afternoon. My last brainstorm was to bump out the width of a Jimmy Lewis Bombora shape to 29 or 30" and lengthen it to 12'-6"... gives a some what similar plane shape to the imagine surf.

Not sure about incorporating the displacement bow, have had tracking issues dropping in with other types of wave craft with that feature...but I won't take it off the table completely. Need way more overall rocker than the imagine surf... More along the lines of the PSH 12-6.

Everything is a compromise in board design, I just don't want to try and hit so many "boxes" that I end up with an unstable board that's too long and stiff to surf yet is turtle slow for its width and length for distance paddling.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:46:45 AM by SUPflorida »

PaddleMonkey

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 05:46:48 AM »
Saw this the other day, board-in-board design, cool innovation.  I suspect guys might find a problem finding a place to store the longer SUP while using the shorter one though, especially along a reef or rocky shoreline or somewhere where it could get ripped-off.  Maybe anchor it out.   Also might be weight issues with the combined model.   

The new Lopez Manu-Kai has a subtle displacement bow but looks to surf ok in this vid.  It would be similar to your Bombora idea.  I would think a Manu-Kai shape forward with the Imagine Crossover type tail aft would be ideal.  I would also reduce over-all thickness 1-2 inches and try to recess the deck pad area even more.  How much more rocker to add is the trick.  Get that right and you can put me down for one! 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZnrUP4qOQ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal