Author Topic: 10' Board build- to stringer or stringerless? That is the question.  (Read 5325 times)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Okay, some of you already know I built a 10' board for my wife. I built it with 2-6 oz top and bottom and full rail wraps, stringerless... The board rocked, but I took it out on a overhead day and broke it in two..My wife was pissed for a while, but wanted the same board, so I fixed it.

Now I am building another one for me.. I am thinking the same glass schedule 2 -6oz bottom and top.  I live in Mexico, so I have what I have to work with.. 1 lb eps.  I bought a 1x10x8 white pine board.. Lightest I could find in town.. Even lighter than the Mexican cedar...I milled it down to 1/2" x10'x8"  I was going to go with ply, but only can buy crappy ply here. 

My question. I dont want this board to break, what is the best way to strengthen a SUP. Some conventional shapers say that stringers really dont add that much strength, they add rigidness.  I got to believe that they do add strenght..My 8' SUP is stringerless and strong, but 2 extra feet is a lot.  I built a 10' nose rider with a 1" pine stringer and its hasnt broken after a few years of hard use..

... I was contemplating of a stringerless board with deep deck channels to add rigidness and some strength. I woudl prefer this build, but I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER BROKEN BOARD:)

Looking for input, to stringer or not, that is the question.  I know 1/2' is a bit overkill, but I lose all flex with 3/8", so whats another 1/4" gonna do?  Add a little weight.

paddlebuilder

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: 10' Board build- to stringer or stringerless? That is the question.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
you might consider strengthening the rails longitudinally...carbon strips?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
3 layer top.  Maybe a feathered patch on the bottom, in addition to the double bottom. I'd do that and skip the weight of wood.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:36:39 AM »
You're putting that stringer in no matter what we say.  ;D
DW probably right that extra glass will do the job with less work and weight.
My old engineering schooling and boatbuilding experience says that the stringer is going to add a lot of rigidity and strength if you use a long grain and clear wood like ceder or pine. Your making an "I" beam.
1/2" is overkill.  Balsa is rather poor at this.
Or make 2- 1/4 in stringers and put em oldschool 2-3 in apart.. ::)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:09:08 AM »
Laughed my butt off. You knew I would be putting a stringer in... I went ahead and milled the stringer down to 3/8, split the blank, and glued it in. Still went with 3 -6 oz on top and 2 -6oz on bottom..Waiting for more resin to hotcoat the board.  On my 8' board, I would still go stringerless, but with materials on hand, the 10' board gets some wood..

Next big board build I will follow the advice and get some carbon for the rails and stringer and go woodless.

Thanks for the advice guys..

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »
The group I paddle with that have always touted stringerless is now going to stringers across the board. We had a board break paddling over a wall of whitewater. The board was built by a credible manufacturer. Saving a couple of ounces just isn't worth it when you're spending 1,000.00 plus on a board in my opinion.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 11:55:12 PM »
I'm thinking stringer(s) and/or composite sandwich for the lightweight EPS in any serious waves, 
especially anything around 9 foot or longer.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal