Author Topic: Is distance paddling boring!  (Read 12124 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is distance paddling boring!
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »
I've heard a bunch of people I paddle surf with, say distance paddling is boring. I guess if you have a really wide touring board, you paddle straight out into the ocean or large lake, the water is glassy, and you're paddling at around 3 miles an hour, then it would be. I just did 6 miles today in the ocean, on my unlimited. It's narrow and tippy, so you have to be on your guard or you're swimming. The whole time I was focusing on my stroke. I averaged just under 6 mph. Taking sips off my water, as the sweat poured over my eyes. I didn't let up the whole paddle. At any point did I find myself bored? No.....   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is distance paddling boring!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:54 PM »
I love paddling straight out of the harbor and going away from land for about 3 or 4 miles.
Then...turn around, sit down and look back at the land.  Seeing the coast and the houses and civilization, yet hearing only the wind and the water lapping at my board....Such a peaceful way to catch my breath!

Never been bored doing that.
  :)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 12:07:08 AM »
One of the things I love about standup paddling is the diversity of experiences it allows you to have. You can surf at almost any level, from riding tiny swells to Teahupo'o, if you've got the skills and the stones. You can do downwinders, you can paddle an inflatable in white water, you can tour at an easy pace or go ride a race board and have yourself a hammer session, alone or with some pals to really wick up the effort. If you really immerse yourself in this sport, it's no wonder you end up with a quiver!

I love SUS and down winding. Especially down winding, which to me is a variant of surfing. But distance paddling on a glassy or light wind day, especially on a fast board that takes your concentration? I find it addictive. I try to get out for flatwater distance paddles of at least 5 miles several days a week, even if surf and/or downwind is available.

I think a lot of people would find it boring but I sure don't. Trying to keep a fast pace like TallDude, that is a real challenge. Hitting an average of almost 6 in the ocean for 6 miles is really fast. Nice job!

I'm happy if I can keep my average anywhere over 5 mph for a distance paddle. And, riding a tippy race board is part of the fun for me too. I've got a Javelin 14 that was nicknamed 'tippy canoe' and it is a hoot to paddle. At the finish of my recent paddles, I've been surfing it in tiny 1 to 2 footers for 20 minutes or so to cool down and just to mix it up.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »
Boring things can be the most interesting.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 02:03:08 AM »
It's an underrated branch of our sport...it requires a whole different  mental and physical approach to the other branches and IMO it's a long way from boring.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 02:47:22 AM »
Long paddles alone can be meditative.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 04:10:15 AM »
When my usual paddling spots become boring, I try to change up the route, or if I have time, I try a new locale to keep it interesting.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 05:01:40 AM »
Nope. I think everyone has already listed many of my thoughts and especially if I grab a fishing pole and have John Miller calling a game in the background for a few hours....my day is set.
Damn. 6 mph? I need another board.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:03:36 AM by lucabrasi »

SUP Viking

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 05:08:32 AM »
Depends on the person
"Fear of the uknown is the greatest fear of all, but we just went for it"

RomaniaSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 05:12:57 AM »
I've never gotten bored when doing ocean, intracoastal, river runs, or when touring new areas.

I have however gotten very bored when training in the pond down the road. Going to one end of the short pond, turing around and coming back dozens of time's starts to feel like being on a treadmill. So if you get in a situation like that here's some things I've found that helps:

* Pumped up gym music.
* Integrating some of Larry Cain's technique drills - http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=21478.0
* Take a friend. Nothing like doing some sprint interval training with a partner.
* Practice those pivot turns. You can never be perfect at them.

Hope this helps...
Starboard Drive 10'5
Starboard Carbon Prototype 14'x26"
Starboard AllStar 12'6x25.5"

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 05:15:33 AM »
Well, personally I find fishing boring -- but it's a multi-billion recreational industry.

Saying flatwater is "boring" reminds me of when I was younger and into road biking.  I had friends who didn't get it.

Friend:  How far did you ride today?
Me:  Umm, 60miles I think.
Friend:  Geez. WHERE were you going??

Nowhere in particular....  That's the whole point.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:24:39 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 05:53:17 AM »
Boring? You got to be kidding me.  Anyone who thinks that is boring.

I really look forward to the change of pace when the surf is flat. I have a few regular routes and  I typically paddle 8-10 miles and love every minute of it.  I put on my waterproof iPod shuffle and just get in a zone.  It is so relaxing but at the same time great exercise. I wear a GPS watch and keep track of speed, distance and time along the way. 

I train pretty hard for the CCBC, but once that event is over, I still take to the water for my long distance paddles.  My wife and I also enjoy paddling together for long distances.
Boring? No way. It is what this sport is all about
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

teamalty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 06:57:56 AM »
 While this is an interesting topic, the few who think distance paddle boring, I'm sure, might want to read this forum or the posts so far. Almost everything said has been right on: and for all the same reasons, my wife and I enjoy distance paddling, yet for different reasons.
  You know it's Fall when we're alone on the Lake; OK, retired too. Smile. Paddle within ten feet of two Big Blue Herons today. We ain't' no big thing. Smile. Posting this on my fb page and reading this post got me thinking about our reasons and the enjoyment we get paddling distance.
  My wife paddles 4 to 5 days a week, rides a bike 2 to 3 days, lifts light weights, and does a daily stretchtng program. Reasons all mentioned: uses music, works on stroke, quiet and beautiful, and varies her workouts depending on the conditions. I'm more directed by goals.
   Racing goals, up-coming races, conditions and day of week guide my workouts. Since starting SUP, I've averaged over 3000 miles a year, and I'm at 2500 so far this year, and I can't wait to get out every day. Today is Thursday, so it's, since not racing this weekend, an interval day. What kind depends. Since my next race is a ten miler, I'll start with 1x1x6, and then move to five minutes on and two minutes off times five. And finish with a stroke check to finish the eight miles.
 While there are usually two "Smell the roses" kind of days a week, two interval type, one or two long (9-14), it never gets boring. Every day is a new challenge, and it's fun. Everyone has mentioned the reasons for their distance enjoyment, and we're on board with them all.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »
Boring as hell. But sometimes boring is a fine thing.

The only way I can make myself go a really long distance is to have a food-related goal at the turnaround point. Start 20 miles away from a good river, lake, or ocean-side restaurant. Once you have lunch you have to return.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 07:37:19 AM »
Distance paddling helps me settle things in my mind, I often have my deepest thoughts while two or 3 miles out off the coast...like how does PDX come up with all the puns he does.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal