Author Topic: I shunk my board - the sequel  (Read 3315 times)

supthecreek

I shunk my board - the sequel
« on: October 05, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »
After Mr Big and I traded ownership of our brand new boards in the line up on Wednesday.... we arranged a paddle trip today. It is all very cool, because we are BOTH equally stoked with the trade.
I found out some pretty funny stuff.
He was the guy that put that Retread Tire Deck Pad on Caribesurf's 8'11 x 28.75 Hobie RAW ;D
He demo'd it but never bought it because it was too tippy for him.... Caribesurf scooped it up! Score!
He bought the wider 8'11 x 31 Hobie RAW that I ended up getting in the trade.
He bought it 3 days after I bought the 10'6... from the same shop.... 150 miles from where we live.
Lots of intersecting lines going on. :D

ZERO surf today... so we decided a flat-water paddle was in order. Mr Big is brand new to SUP. He is coming straight from a life of shortboard surfing. He is learning and eager too try everything. He is finding out that SUP is not shortboard surfing... and will take a bit of adjustment time. He has always been a good surfer... he will be ripping shortly.

My flat-water board is now my 8'10 Allwave, since Mr. Big now owns my 10'6 Hobie RAW. I chose a route from a nice secluded kettle pond that is linked to Pleasant Bay by a small twisty creek and a river.

Mr Big started on my Allwave, just to see what the stability thing is all about on shorter board that is very different from the same size Hobie RAW. Then he tried my Ke Nalu Miliko.

I ran the newbie up current, up wind to an uninhabited island and back for a nice 4 mile cruise. He did well on his new 10'6... and discovered some new paddling spots 5 miles from his house.

We not only made a trade that we are both very happy with, but have become friends in the process. Mr Big is trying to register on the Zone... but since he is a Harvard graduate... it might prove too difficult for him ;)

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: I shunk my board - the sequel
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
At least you still have your 8'10" Allwave to maneuver around ice chunks this winter. ;D

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »
You know something Rik you might wanna look into SUP touring as a side biz

Really!!!
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
Fall in New England... missing it Creek!  Keep them comin

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
Cool story, nice to see pics of the Packet Landing, Lucy's, etc.  Always so nice this time of year, but nice goes away in a hurry, so keep getting out there while the getting is still good!

tribalthunder

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »
Rick, I ran into Mr. Big a few times this summer at Marconi and saw him struggling on boards too small to catch his first waves on. I didn't have the heart to tell him he needed a larger board, and he is a real good guy, so I'm happy to hear you were able to point him in the right direction. Great story and a cool ending for you both. I look forward to seeing Mr. Big gliding down the line with a big fat smile!

Brad
9' Cannibal Tear Drop
8'11" Exocet 32" wide

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »
JimK...You mean someone would actually PAY me for taking them on a paddle tour? :o :o :o
Sound like getting paid to date hot women. :D

Took Mr Big on a DW with the tide today... 25 mph tail wind and 3 - 4 mph tide....ZOOM. Mr Big liked that!

Kayadogg... going to linterland on Wednesday... did a solo at deep hole last week... wave season is coming to your old neighborhood.

Andy, well have to paddle some next visit!

Brad... see you in the am... Mr Big will be there... smiling.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
I reckon we'll be seeing pics of you on your icebreaker Allwave soon.  Doubt that an icebreaking attachment will catch on but it'd be fun to see. 

Weather is changing here as well.  Seeing the first winter surf.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »
Mr Big & Creeks old 10'6 spotted in Newport today, too bad the conditions stunk or I would have been asking Mr Big to let me test out that Hobie.

Maybe next time I spot them in southern RI.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
I saw Mr Big and Creeks old board in Newport on Friday. I saw pics of it at the Late Summah Paddle, heard about the trade here, and here it was, live and in the glass. Mr Big was doing noticeably better on this board than the smaller one I saw him struggling on at Marconi in August.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal