Author Topic: Coreban Dart  (Read 9939 times)

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coreban Dart
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:01:29 PM »
Hi everyone this is my first post . I've been looking at getting a 14 foot board for some training, ocean paddling and starting out downwind surfing. The board I'm looking at is the Coreban Dart in carbon / kevlar construction. This will be my first 14 foot board. I'm around 90 kg reasonably fit with a strong surfing background but due to a back injury and subsequent surgery I'm shifting over to SUP.
This board is just under 30 wide which should be nice and stable for me. Has anyone here had any experience with this board ? Pros and cons ?Any advice much appreciated. Cheers.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Coreban Dart
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »
Sounds like a good choice. It's a great board for rough conditions, especially if you want to stay upright. It gets better the bigger the downwind conditions get. It also make a nice touring platform or general use ocean board. It isn't quick in pure flat water, but then it isn't intended to be. It is average upwind. It tracks very straight making it very pleasant and efficient to paddle, and is marvelous in cross-winds and chop. Fantastic handle. The carbon/kevlar one is the construction most people will want. The full carbon one if really light but needs to be looked after. The wood construction is heavy which does affect performance. Comes with a nice bag too. Hope this helps.

Of course, the Zone being what it is, a load of people are now gonna tell you to get a Fanatic or Naish... or Starboard... but I'm not associated with any brand in any way.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »
I've paddled it a few times and downwinded it and it's a great board for bigger people.. It would be a good choice IMO.

DJ

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:31:26 AM »
I've paddled it a few times and downwinded it and it's a great board for bigger people.. It would be a good choice IMO.
DJ

Ok, in appreciation of the restraint that DJ has shown here, I'll say it for him: If you do want to compare the Dart with another board, the latest shape 2014 Naish Glide 14 might also be worth a look ;-)

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I'm really only fairly new to SUP so staying upright is pretty important to me. It sounds like the right board for me. Thanks again.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
I've owned 4 Corebans and it's hard to beat their design and construction.

You'll almost never hear anyone say a bad word about them. Go wide if you're switching over and that board will be in great shape if you decide to sell and go narrower.

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:16:03 AM »
That's good to know that the construction on these boards is good. For me it's all about staying on. I really liked the idea of the 14 foot Lopez board but it's 28 wide and being only new at this I was worried about it being a bit tippy. The Dart is nearly 30 wide which will suit me better.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »
I can dig what the others have said but 28  @ 14 is wide enough for your weight.  If you don't think so at first, you will in a short amount of time.  People can say it's easy to sell a board later and move up but I disagree and think the tendency is to hang on to them too long and then their value drops as something better comes along.  IMO it'll be easier to learn how to stay upright on 28" than sell a ultra wide board.

I started out at the age of 54 on a 28 by 14' and had no issues, even with the rock and roll of Maliko.  At least have a try at that 29" Naish that's in a DJ vid where he shows it upside down and sideways.  Looks dyno.

30 by 14 is a wide.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 09:30:08 AM »
I can dig what the others have said but 28  @ 14 is wide enough for your weight.  If you don't think so at first, you will in a short amount of time.  People can say it's easy to sell a board later and move up but I disagree and think the tendency is to hang on to them too long and then their value drops as something better comes along.  IMO it'll be easier to learn how to stay upright on 28" than sell a ultra wide board.

I started out at the age of 54 on a 28 by 14' and had no issues, even with the rock and roll of Maliko.  At least have a try at that 29" Naish that's in a DJ vid where he shows it upside down and sideways.  Looks dyno.

Hmm... not sure about that HM, although I can certainly see where you are coming from. This guy specifically mentions that he has had back surgery. You don't want to be falling and trying to heave yourself back onto a board and onto your feet if you've had back surgery. And if you are an inexperienced SUPer, trying DW for the first time, you are going to spend a lot of time falling.

Also, we don't know much about the conditions he has locally. At least we know that the Dart can cope with anything, so it is unlikely to be the WRONG choice, even if it might not be the perfectly optimal one.

I also see many people buy "aspirational boards" first boards, thinking that they will grow into them. Then they find it so frustrating, and feel like such a divvy when they are falling all the time that they give up altogether. This is especially the case if you live in a cold water climate, where repeated falling in is really unpleasant, and indeed might be dangerous.

Whatever, I certainly wouldn't recommend the Surftech Gerry Lopez Hawaii Kai 14fter. My and my friends demoed it in a range of conditions, and none of us liked it, despite desperately wanting to. We felt that it was way too corky for us, and might suit someone 250lbs or more. Maybe in Hood River or somewhere else more lined up it might work, but not in the heavily tidal, rippy, short period stuff round where I live. Shame, because it looks great and is really comfy to stand on, and seems tough and well made. (Handle stinks though.)

Instead, if you wanted an alternative to the Dart, I'd be looking at the Angulo Shaka or the 2014 Glide, like HM said.

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 05:52:04 PM »
You are right Area 10. I'm not keen on dragging myself up after falling off all the time. I'd rather concentrate on paddling and being stable. My first board is a Laird Pearson Arrow 10'6 and it's 29 1/2 wide from memory. Im getting the feel of that ok now but did a fair bit of falling off for a while in the surf. I'm lucky to live near a large lake which is where I will start trying out the down wind but I also want to just paddle it in the ocean or to catch little waves on small days or paddle in the river.

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
I borrowed a Dart for the CCBC and fell in love with it.  It ended up being 8 hours or so of side chop and I was very glad to be on such a stable board.   I ended up buying the board and use it as my every day coastal cruiser.  I find that it continues to be fun in conditions where my other boards get squirrelly.  While it doesn't have all the glide of a narrower board it has less rocker than some of the other devoted DW wind boards and so is quicker than you would expect.    I've got the pure version and it's got to be one of the heavier production glass boards out there and so if you can swing a lighter version I'd recommend it.  Looks like some of the 2014 SIC lineup includes some similar boards (little but less rocker and more width) and the SICs are sweet.
Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
Thanks mate. I'll be getting carbon Kevlar construction which will be lighter weight than the pure. The flatter rocker should make it paddle reasonably well I guess.

Funsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
I've paddled the pure version in 30 knots in Baja and it was so stable that my wife called it the couch.  Comfortable but  faster than it feels.  Fist person to try it begged to by it.  The new SIC F14 should be similar in stability, but better in performance.

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses. I reckon I'm on the right track.  :)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 09:44:41 PM »
I loved it when I used it..

My 'like a Cadilac' reference was meant to be a complement.

I have two friends with Darts and they love it.

DJ

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:46:26 PM by DavidJohn »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal