Author Topic: Sacrilege? Love SUP surfing, but I'd rather watch longboarding  (Read 7278 times)

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sacrilege? Love SUP surfing, but I'd rather watch longboarding
« on: October 02, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »
Good, old-school longboarding, that is.
How about you?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sacrilege? Love SUP surfing, but I'd rather watch longboarding
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »
Love SUP surfing, but would rather watch and participate in windsurfing.
This was shot earlier this season at my main spot.

It takes a quiver to do that.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »
Contest stand up paddling is at a crossroads, at least in the surf. The way it is now, it's mostly small nimble people on boards that barely float. Equipment that 90 per cent of the paddling audience couldn't surf if they wanted too. The end result is enjoyable to watch but performance wise, no match for professional surfing.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
Contest stand up paddling is at a crossroads, at least in the surf. The way it is now, it's mostly small nimble people on boards that barely float. Equipment that 90 per cent of the paddling audience couldn't surf if they wanted too. The end result is enjoyable to watch but performance wise, no match for professional surfing.

I agree. I guess it's a generational thing: as the youngsters come into the sport they have to find a new way to do it - and that dad can't.
But shortboard SUP just doesn't play to the inherent strengths of the medium, in my opinion. Even the best SUSers look like shortboard surfers in slow motion.
I think it has taken a wrong turn.
The most interesting SUP surfing IMO is this kinda stuff below. I could watch this all day. Maybe we need to have specific longboard SUP divisions.

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xgdtrw_laird-hamilton-sup-trick-compilation_sport

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
That video was great. Really enjoyed it...twice. I might watch it once a night for a week now ;D

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »
Good, old-school longboarding, that is.
How about you?

Absolutely. After watching many styles of surfing on an sup, and prone surfing too, i lean towards the relaxed, flowy, long ride, longboard style-on my sup-

The most interesting SUP surfing IMO is this kinda stuff below. I could watch this all day. Maybe we need to have specific longboard SUP divisions.

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xgdtrw_laird-hamilton-sup-trick-compilation_sport

And definitely, there's some stars to watch ;D
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »
Nothing will ever beat watching Curren at J Bay. Pure and perfect
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »
I'd rather watch great surfers than mediocre ones, no matter what gear they're on. And I'd rather surf than watch no matter how much I suck.

I spent some time comparing SUP surfers at Dogpatch to the longboarders at the rest of SanO. Yeah, it was close to BOP time, so there were a lot of good SUP surfers, but they were a LOT better and much more interesting to watch than 90 percent of the longboarders. Who frankly sucked. I don't know why.

I don't think most of them were as good as I am, and I suck.

Not that way in Maui. Most of the longboarders I see there are good, but a lot of the best have switched to SUP.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »
The biggest problem with surf contests is their poor venue. Most contests are scheduled months in advance at a beach that is accessable. There is a good chance the waves will be pretty poor. Only the big moneyed surf contests at places like pipeline, Bali, Fiji, etc have a good chance of good waves.
SUP contests are at the bottom rung.

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 06:29:09 PM »
I've tried to explain to skeptical proner friends the pure fun of SUP surfing but they remain skeptical, generally. Or they tolerate me, like the nutty uncle. I think I can understand that.
Perhaps it's because, on video and in person, they can't understand the appeal of our perspective of our surroundings or the thrill of matching speed with a wave to catch it while already standing ....well I could go on. Or the appeal of going out on days they turn their noses up at and then chasing down every wave you can.
That's kept my beautiful yellow longboard dry for the past three-plus years. Still love watching those logging videos though. But of course that Laird "tricks"' video is in a league of its own.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
I would like to see a Big Kahuna(220 lb.+) division at surf contests like the US Open at SanO. I think there would be a lot of entries!! And I totally agree with Southwesterly. Who pays for all the SUP gear in this country? 40+ men who work. There needs to be contests for us!!!!

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »

I agree. I guess it's a generational thing: as the youngsters come into the sport they have to find a new way to do it - and that dad can't.
But shortboard SUP just doesn't play to the inherent strengths of the medium, in my opinion. Even the best SUSers look like shortboard surfers in slow motion.
I think it has taken a wrong turn.

That's something I've thought about also.  There is some AMAZING shortboard style SUP going on but I agree there should be a longboard style division also.  Longboard is only SUPs roots after all. 

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »
Since day one, I have always said "I'd much rather watch a good longborder than any shortboarder... except Kelly

Longboard done well is beautiful, graceful and incredibly hard to do. The see someone perched on the tip of the nose, body hanging out ahead, appearing to "drag" the board by their toes, while suspended several feet above the water on a sheer wall.... simply amazing.

I was getting good at noseriding.... and along came the shortboard :-\
I was as excited as anyone about going short... but I always pulled the longboard out when the waves called for it.... nothing replaces the feel of a great noseride.

Then add in the classic drop knee turns, soul arches, snap turns... things that lend well to SUP.
I still prefer a hybrid rider to a short SUP slasher. But I want to slash. Weird. ???

Because of Linter... I am working hard on designing the ultimate SUP noserider.... a SUP that makes "Hang 10" in the classic mode, possible. More later.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:31 PM »
Lance Carson was the greatest. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »
So funny to watch the resurgence of certain styles on here. I think in the end, we're all gear junkies and are looking for the next thing. (Nothing wrong with that.)

I predict a new wave of longboard style SUPs incorporating the newer tech. (Carbon weave superlight Hobies anyone?)

This weekend after watching the footage of myself surfing at BOP I made a new commitment to "getting some style". I'm beyond surviving a wave ride and need to start behaving like that on the wave. I rode some short boards and in the end had some of the most fun rides on a 10' Uli. (Thx Capo!)

Getting vertical, bashing a lip? It might happen someday. But in the meantime, (and on the waves I like to ride) a drop dead bottom turn, a great relaxed stance and cross stepping to trim the board is hard to beat anytime, anywhere.

Watch Coiin McPhilips surf a SUP and you'll have your faith restored. Him and Tommy Loy are smooth as silk.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal