Author Topic: Mmmmm.. donuts.. downwinder vid.  (Read 7772 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mmmmm.. donuts.. downwinder vid.
« on: September 23, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
Yesterday it was my friend Justin's birthday and one of his birthday presents was enough wind to do a downwinder.

DJ

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mmmmm.. donuts.. downwinder vid.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »
Loooooong glides.  Beautiful!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »
Nice. What is the board you are riding in this vid, DJ?

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
Nice. What is the board you are riding in this vid, DJ?

It's the old (current) shape and the new colors.. (14' Glide) .. It's the cheaper GS version..   

Naish have not started making the new shape GS boards yet but they are only a few weeks away.. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare.. I do like the new color..   

DJ

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
Nice glides... Must have helped having the donuts waiting for you... ;D ;)

So if that's a new old Glide, and you're waiting for a new new Glide, does that mean Naish is going to continue with the old 27" shape as well as introducing the new 29" board?? 

Also notice it came with the new swept back Spitfire fin - what did you think of it? 
Looks like the Aercor works well on the LE too.   8)

Thanks for sharing DJ

DS
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
Nice glides... Must have helped having the donuts waiting for you... ;D ;)

So if that's a new old Glide, and you're waiting for a new new Glide, does that mean Naish is going to continue with the old 27" shape as well as introducing the new 29" board??  

Also notice it came with the new swept back Spitfire fin - what did you think of it?  
Looks like the Aercor works well on the LE too.   8)

Thanks for sharing DJ

DS

As far as I know they are dropping the 27" wide Glide once the new 29" Glide is in full production.. We expected this board to be the new shape and Naish have offered to swap it once the new shape GS boards arrive so I have not put any stickers on it.. I think the new shape is due in 2-3 weeks so at least I have a board to use till they arrive.. I though it was very good of Naish to offer me this but if I can afford to I'd like to buy both.. If I can sell my old original Glide I might do that.. It will be interesting to see how they compare in different conditions.. Everyone is telling me that the new one is so much better but I really like the old (current) Glide.. The new 9 1\2" swept back fin is an improvement for sure.. I never liked the old long and vertical dagger fin and have much preferred a traditional dolphin shaped fin or the new Arecore fin like the one Justin is using in my vid.. I'm not sure about the new fin yet.. It was only my first time DW'ing this new board and I could feel the fin steering the board at times and if I could feel it at these slower speeds I'm wondering what it will be like at higher speeds.. With the dolphin and Arecore you don't feel the fin working against you.. I might try my Gladiator Race fin another day and see how that goes.. At least with this new Naish fin you can let it touch the sand in shallow water and it will drag.. Not like the old Naish fin because when it touched it brought you to an abrupt stop.

DJ
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:51:16 PM by DavidJohn »

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
Nice video DJ.
I was wondering how does the Aercore fin tracks in flat-water and does in shed seaweed?
I知 thinking of getting one for the Bullet 12 I have on order.

Anyone else used the Aercore fin in non downwind conditions?

NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
Nice video DJ.
I was wondering how does the Aercore fin tracks in flat-water and does in shed seaweed?
I知 thinking of getting one for the Bullet 12 I have on order.

Anyone else used the Aercore fin in non downwind conditions?

They work well in DW conditions and even on flat water they feel fast.. They do shed seaweed very well.. but they don't offer much in the way of tracking and stability.. I'd wait and see if you have any tracking or tippy issues first.. If not it might work well.. I'm thinking the smaller Gadiator Pro or Race (or whatever it's called) would be best.

DJ

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
Justin was here earlier in the year.  A very good paddler and great guy.

Everything was yellow, even the buoys, loved it.  Looked hot too.  Has been here as well.  JC is here but wind is light the past few days.

Have you seen the specs on the Nikon AW1 waterproof?  Just under 400 grams with lens which is a zoom from 28-74mm.  A 1" sensor, 4X bigger than the one in your cam..

@720p it can shoot 60fps, which would really smooth things out.  $800 US.  Shipping out in October

Check it out.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 05:59:15 PM »

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
Thanks DJ. I have a Gladiator Hybrid, but in flat conditions it feels like it痴 too much fin. I知 thinking about getting the Gladiator Pro or maybe the Aercore.  This time of year floating seaweed is a problem so I have to have a weed fin.

HM, Sea,  Thanks for adding another toy to my wish list.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »
Chilly: I've been paddling my Glide 14 with the Aercor since June.   Most of the downwinding here is just starting now, so I've been paddling lots of flat water and chop with it.  Like DJ says, not the best tracking fin, and it contributes little to the stability of the board.  Big deal.  It's fast.  Faster than the stock Naish fin, the Allison Batfin, and a FCS dolphin fin.  It is also impervious to weeds. 

Tracking can be more than compensated for with a good stroke.  The balance aspect disappears after a couple sessions. 

Best of all, though, is it rewards you in spades downwinding.  The faster you go, the better it tracks...AND you can still steer the board with a single sweep.

Win-win in my mind.   The Gladiator Pro might be the ticket for absolute top speed in flat water, but the Aercor is probably more versatile...
So you should probably get both.   ;D

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 05:20:09 AM »
Thanks Muskoka, Great review of the Aercore. I知 definitely fastest on the Gladiator Hybrid in rough conditions, but feel I have training wheels in the flat water. I知 also planning on doing some downwind this winter so I知 going to add the Aercore to my quiver.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 05:56:44 AM »
Very interesting Muskoka. How does the Aercore surf when in e.g. BOP conditions?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal