Author Topic: Nikon Aw1 waterproof camera  (Read 28596 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nikon Aw1 waterproof camera
« on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
14 MP ...Interchangeable with two (so far), also waterproof, lens.  Stock lens is, (35mm equivalent) 28-74mm, 3.5-5.6 (standard aperture for zooms) and a prime which is 27mm with a fairly sharp 2.8 aperture.  Super fast burst shooting for stills with fast autofocus.  Video is capable of 60i @1080, 30p @1080 tho my fav would be 60p@720. Waterproof to 49 feet. 

Cam plus lens is just under a pound, which is heavy but lighter than a light cam with a housing. 

This cam has a sensor 4X bigger than any of the current waterproof cams on the market and is 3X bigger than the sensor on the Canon S100 I used to own before I learned to lock my truck at night.

Doesn't compare well to many higher end non waterproof cams but for a waterproof cam this one looks like the best quality waterproof cam on the scene so far.  Certainly a huge jump from the others... $800 comes out in October.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nikon Aw1 waterproof camera
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
Usually the theory is 4X bigger sensor means 4X the price and since other waterproof cams run roughly around $300, this price for the Aw1 appears to be good at $800.

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:57:24 PM »
I was already drawn to the 1 series, but not enough to buy.
This AW version is right up my alley.

I have great cameras to shoot from the beach, and I have the Gopro - just has no range, too wide angle.  It would be nice to have a 30-70 out in the water.

Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
Anyone else get one of these yet? Experience(s)?
Just picked mine up a few days ago...been flat as a board, so no wave pics yet...maybe next week...
I've been shooting with the Oly Tough...also, have WP P&S digicams from Sony, Pentax, and Canon...
This puppy seems promising...even though it's a bit heavy and bulky...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
Been considering it.  Just ordered the Sony a7 though.  Not sure what to do with it since it is too bulky to put in my shorts.  I picked up a cheap NEX 3n and was thinking about getting a waterproof bag for it. 

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:17:49 AM »
Sounds wonderful.. a proper Wet Cam.  The only problem I see is weight: 19oz/540g with included lens vs a typical sports cam at 7oz/200g. You are going to need something like this to keep from inducing nausea in your viewers.  If you are expecting to have fun ..and taking pics.

It's got to make great shots tho'... Sports you need to post some pics!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
My theory with waterproof cameras is the same one I have about barbecues. Might as well spend the least amount on each. An 800 dollar camera has just a much chance of crapping out as a 199 dollar one. Now add an interchangeable lens and your chances of water intrusion (or even moisture vapor) is very high.

I have a Canon D-10 that crapped out in Baja two years ago. It sat for over a year and then miraculously started working again a few months ago. Now no matter how much I try to reset it, the on screen instructions are in Japanese. I know it sounds like a set up for a joke, but it's a true story.

My basic 100 dollar barbecue has also preforms just as well as my friends 500 dollar 4 burner-two side warmers-two racks and a slow cook shelf. I expect in three years they will both rust out.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
I'm an early technology adopter when it comes to cams...starting back with the Minolta Weathermatic in 1980...
Man, am I stoked to have water shots from back in the day...

I got this new one because it looks like it has the potential to produce better images than the waterproof P&S cams that I have been using...bigger sensor...mirrorless...high FPS...etc...

I used to shoot windsurf vid with an Oly water housing on my head...that was dangerous...;-)

I've picked up a couple of chest harnesses that may or may not work with the Nikon...still trying to figure that one out as it appears that this cam is not widely available yet...regardless, they will work beautifully for the JVC for video...

For sure, I've had my share of cams fail...my philosophy is to get as many images of waves out of them as I can before they fail...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
I'm an early technology adopter when it comes to cams...starting back with the Minolta Weathermatic in 1980...
Man, am I stoked to have water shots from back in the day...

I got this new one because it looks like it has the potential to produce better images than the waterproof P&S cams that I have been using...bigger sensor...mirrorless...high FPS...etc...

I used to shoot windsurf vid with an Oly water housing on my head...that was dangerous...;-)

I've picked up a couple of chest harnesses that may or may not work with the Nikon...still trying to figure that one out as it appears that this cam is not widely available yet...regardless, they will work beautifully for the JVC for video...

For sure, I've had my share of cams fail...my philosophy is to get as many images of waves out of them as I can before they fail...;-)

SUP... were the last three water shots taken with the Nikon AW1?  I'll be very interested to see how the fogging issue goes.  If that is good then I'll probably jump on it.  Glad you bought one.  Is WETstuff correct about the weight?  I thought they advertised less, like around 3/4 of a pound.  Like the orange silicone grip you bought.

SW.... Yes the interchangeable lens presents more risk of water but it just means you have to be careful and consistent about rinsing, cleaning and greasing seal.  Like the old Nikonos.  I had one that lasted until I gave it away.  This Nikon AW1 should be a huge IQ jump compared to all the current pocket wtrprf cams out there, including the Canon D-10 which, as good as it is, still features the smallest sensor on the market.  But if better IQ isn't a huge priority then I agree about getting a cheaper 2-300$ cam.  Guess the real question is how much improved IQ is good enough?  IMO If you want people to view your stuff these days, it has to be better than wtrprf pocket cams. 

Of course you're paying a premium for the AW1 being wtrprf and spending money on a 'dry' cam with lens of adequate reach might be a better plan.  Also fogging wouldn't be such a problem.  Beasho bought a Panny GH2 but haven't heard from him much about it.  The most current GH3 is good enough for broadcast, which means if you really get something good, you might be able to sell it.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
SW, don't forget, Nikon has made waterproof cameras like these forever, with interchangeable lenses.

If anyone can, they can. And remember, WD needs good shots to sell boards. Don't cheap out on the tools that put food on your table, right?

If you're a pro and or you ever bought a DSLR, this thing is cheap and trust me, the pics will kill a cheap point and shoot. It's the lenses that will make a difference.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »
SW, don't forget, Nikon has made waterproof cameras like these forever, with interchangeable lenses.

If anyone can, they can. And remember, WD needs good shots to sell boards. Don't cheap out on the tools that put food on your table, right?

If you're a pro and or you ever bought a DSLR, this thing is cheap and trust me, the pics will kill a cheap point and shoot. It's the lenses that will make a difference.

Zackly!
The weight of the Nikon is in the lens...and, this is what I'm betting on to improve image quality...
Like I said, I have a number of the waterproof P&S digicams already...most are still in working order...the Oly Tough has been great...pics below...but, just trying to up the game a bit on FPS and image quality...

I shoot from land with a Canon 7D and Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 IS...good camera...good glass...they have a EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM now...for a spendy $7K...but, not much of a compelling upgrade over the expensive glass that I already have in hand...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
"SUP... were the last three water shots taken with the Nikon AW1?"

No...the first two were the old school Minolta Weathermatics from the 80's...bottom was the Sony TX-10 from two years ago...
Post above wave shots from the Oly Tough...
Just showing that there has been a steady progression of improvement in "cheap" waterproof P&S cams...let alone the vid function...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »
Got these off the spec sheet at B&H Camera, NY

Dimensions (WxHxD)    4.5 x 2.8 x 1.5" / 113.3 x 71.5 x 37.5 mm excluding projections
Weight    12.56 oz / 356  g Body only with battery and memory card

Focal Length    11 - 27.5 mm

Dimensions (DxL)    Approx. 2.48 x 2.22" (63 x 56.5 mm)
Weight    6.42 oz (182 g)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
WD I love those glassy winter waves up there.

I have to sneak up that way more often this season. So good. And how about that cam? Amazing for the low cost.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »
Well SUP, please take some pics soon with your AW1 so we have a comparison.  And let me know how the fogging goes for it.  Thanks.  Can't wait to see.  We just had a NW hit today.  Suppose it's on it's way towards you guys soon.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal