Author Topic: Anticipation for some new fall guns  (Read 1944 times)

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anticipation for some new fall guns
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
It wasn't intentional but somehow I managed to have three different boards at my shaper's shop nearing completion in the next month or so.  A combination of circumstances led to this awesome position to be in:  The first board is a planned 9'4x30" squashtail with a gun-like nose that is going to bring my surfing to another level, I hope.  Then I was finding myself without a good all-water 14' and a blank that had been ordered and shaped became available, so I scooped it up.  It's a 14'x27" squaretail that will weigh less than 25 lbs we hope.  The 3rd board is a 6'2 traditional shortboard that is a repair job from some sun damage on the nose.

I was considering going for some sort of thematic graphic or color scheme across the three boards but I'm not whether I want to do that or not.  The first photo is what Matt sent me today that got me so fired up.  The next photo is of a 14' pintail flatwater version of the squaretail I'm getting.  The squaretail will have similar lines but a softer entry, slightly more rocker, and a bit more volume in the front third.  Can't wait!

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

water-ratt

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anticipation for some new fall guns
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
Did you win the freaking lottery or what?? ;D
Will they be ready for the "Downwind Classic"?
You should sell my your 10' surf/SUP!
I need some advise:
I can only afford one new board and I need it to fill several needs:
1. 12'2" or less Time for me to admit I'm far from "elite" and start dominating the rec/surfboard class.
2. Capable of handling downwind conditions. The 14' Glide was fun but our choppy Lake swells and the 27" width were a challenge.
3. Prone paddle-able: I gotta be able to cross-train on it. A huge bonus would be a board I could also surf.
I thought I found the ideal board in a PSH 12' gun (12'x 28") three fin set-up. But Boardworks no longer carries them & I can't afford to have one shipped from Hawaii.
Now I'm looking at:
C4 Munoz 12' 'ultra-glide' (12'x 30")a bit wider and heavier but more volume (230-vs- 195lt). Single fin.
The SIC 11' Bullet (11' x 28") better for prone paddling but less stable and less volume at ~205lt. Also single fin.
I know I could have Matt shape one for me but i'd feel weird racing in the rec. division with a custom board.
With winter coming on I'll probly wait & see what new boards are coming out in the spring.
See you soon brother!

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anticipation for some new fall guns
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
I hope some others here on the Zone speak up with their recommendations for you Bob.  The first thing I'd say -- and it's not just team rider sales speak -- is that you are the perfect customer for a custom board.  Rec and elite class is irrelevant.  You are looking for a magic board and I'm not lying when I say Matt builds them.  I've had two and I hope to get at least one more out of this crop of three.

I would say you need a 12'2 x 29 ish board with a lot of planing area on the bottom and maybe a low friction rounded entry like a traditional prone paddling board but a little thinned out in the nose.  Matt could shape the rails to lend some surfability out the tail.  It could be perfect.

But I'm not sure he'd want to deal with it.  A new board from scratch in the middle of a high production time.  So that might send you back to the boards you mention.  And the two you mention both seem like possibilities.  I wonder if you went custom, ould it be worth narrowing the board in the area where you would be prone paddling.  Maybe you would have to widen at as you neared the tail, maybe not.

That sounds like a fun project board.   
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM