Author Topic: Epoxy in Microwave Trick  (Read 9167 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Epoxy in Microwave Trick
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
Had a repair to do and found my Resin a nearly solid paste in the bottle.  It was ~ 2 years old, but I still had nearly a quart left.

I did a trick that I learned years ago when I was a kid and had some solidified Epoxy but didn't have the time to drive 1 hour to the hobby shop, or money to buy any more, I put the Resin bottle in the Microwave.

Took 1 minute but the stuff was flowing like new again. 

The hardener seems to stay liquid, just the Resin needed the hit this time. 

Might help you get a few more years out of your Epoxy resin or help in a pinch.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Epoxy in Microwave Trick
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »
it depend on the micowave but mine only need 10sec and it was warm(dont want it hot) and flowing.  Also dont try that with either mixed epoxy or hardner, it will cure the the resin too fast and make it brittle.   

If  using old epoxy(older than a yr), make sure to mix a small batch to test, sometime old epoxy will never cure and it will become a soft gel mess that is hard to remove.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Epoxy in Microwave Trick
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
Agreed, you don't want to boil the epoxy.  Just keep your eyes on it and heat it until it liquefies.

I hear you on the old stuff but I have never had an old batch, that I had nuked, not cure.  I do typically throw the stuff out after nuking it 5+ times.   At that point it is likely 5 - 10 years old.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal