Author Topic: First time in Hood River  (Read 2028 times)

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
First time in Hood River
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
Would like to make the trek to Hood River.  Any information on how best to sort out a first visit?  Are there companies that run a guided service?

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: First time in Hood River
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »
Check in at Big Winds. I was a downwind guide for them this summer but I'm gone to Hawaii. There are other folks that can help you out there. See if Jim Stevens is available for a first time downwind trip from Viento. It's around $100 or $140 if you rent a Big Winds board.  They usually have Naish and SIC boards available. There are also plenty of locals that can help you out too but you might prefer something more organized for your first time. Hope you get some wind!

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »
Thanks Coversurfer.  That is exactly what I will do.  Is September still an OK time to go?

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: First time in Hood River
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »
PtBobSup,  Covesurfer used up all the wind and took whatever was left to Maui with him, but it will be back for an encore soon I'm sure.  September is really nice in Hood River as most of the tourist crowds are gone, the water is still really warm, and the wind still blows, though not as often as June-August.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: First time in Hood River
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 11:01:19 PM »
Oh, and the best part is all the apples and pears are coming fresh off the trees in September!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
Wassup is right. September is awesome! If the wind blows from the east, you can do a Viento to Cascade Locks downwinder which is really cool. That's a long paddle however (around 11 miles).

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:35:10 AM »
The cool thing about east winds with the current is that everyone moves the right direction. On big days in west wind against the current if you fall a lot you don't advance or might even go backwards.
Another great east wind run is from Home Valley to Stevenson about 7 miles. Both are on the Washington side so the shuttle is easy.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Re: First time in Hood River
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »
On big days in west wind against the current if you fall a lot you don't advance or might even go backwards.
Hah, Bob I discovered that after looking at my Garmin track really zoomed in.  Even on a pretty windy day,  I move to the west every time I fall in.   When the current is really pumping you actually move pretty far.   It makes little curly q's in my GPS track.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal