Author Topic: Water in my board?  (Read 12772 times)

JBinGulfShores

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Water in my board?
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »
Hey guys,

I have an Amundson that has an air vent.
After using it last night in the surf, I noticed something funny with the screw.
Turns out the rubber prong is damaged.

It feels kind of heavy too.

What is a good way to remove any water inside?
Because of the rocker, there is not a good drain point no matter how I place it!

Any suggestions?
JB
Amundson 11-6"
Allwave Fanatic 8-10"
Focus 14' Cali
Apparently suffering from PAS (paddleboard acquisition syndrome)

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Water in my board?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »
Follow the Board Lady's instructions.
http://www.boardlady.com/

JBinGulfShores

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
Thanks!
I have a dehumidifier in my garage here at the beach and leaving the board with the screw out REALLY made a big difference!
It was a cracked O ring that caused the water.
JB
Amundson 11-6"
Allwave Fanatic 8-10"
Focus 14' Cali
Apparently suffering from PAS (paddleboard acquisition syndrome)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »
When i got water in one of my boatds, i drilled a hole in the tail and set the board upright in the sun for a few days   The heat and gravity drained n dried it out completely  I just filled the hole with chopped resin and then fixed it just like a rail patch

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »
JB

The hole in the stern and let it bake in the son should get "Most" of the water out. But once water gets into that styrene makes if a soft spot and the board more flexible. You are going to have to fix the hole but you are going to have to remedy the original leak

How are you liking the AW you got?

Talk to you soon

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
If it's salt water and you plan to keep the board you probably want to run fresh water through. the minerals in salt water are hydrophillic enough to hang onto quite a bit of the water, even if you use a vacuum pump.

Standing the board up in the sun with a hole in the tail is fine if you plan to let it go a few weeks before repairing. otherwise a vacuum pump with a water trap is the way to go. No, not a shop vac. NO REALLY, not a shop vac.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:38:07 AM »
Follow Board Lady and you cant go wrong!

It can take months to dry out totally. :(
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »
you can ruin a vacuum pump by using it to dehydrate water in liquid form.  Vacuum pumps are made to remove vapor. And even with a water trap, you'd need to get water to boil off to a vapor to effectively remove the moisture in the board. I work with vacuum pumps everyday

I dont think there's any real 100% quick fix for a water logged core, unless you have extra boards, and time. SUP's are a lot bigger then your standard surf board.

I've used shop vacs and it might take a while, it does work to a certain point. but it depends on the board shape too If you got nothing better laying around, it's worth a try.  I hooked up the vac once, and let that bad boy run.  Eventually I saw water collecting in the vac so I know it was working.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »
My K15 took about 6 months to dry out fully. That was over a UK winter and it had to be kept in an insulted garage. You need to have the hole end of the board higher than the rest. When it was almost there, I wrapped the end of the board in a polythene tent with an oil filled radiator on a low heat, just to finish it off.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
The Naish shop in Kailua used to have this machine that would spin a windsurfing board at a very high velocity.You drill holes in both ends of the board and away you go... We used to all hide around the corner of the building when the machine was on. My understanding is that a board came off one time and went through a refrigerator door!

Anyhow, from past experience with windsurfing boards, when this happens, things are never really the same. In addition to weight, the board becomes more prone to de-laminating.

Of course, I live in a very humid environment, perhaps a drying one might lead to better results.
165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Yeah, you can spin boards. I made a spinner out of an old dryer once. Major league dangerous.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal