Author Topic: Gerry Lopez SUP fin sets  (Read 6765 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Gerry Lopez SUP fin sets
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »
Got a new shorter SUP which I have set up as a 2+1 (small FCS GL sidebites and a 7 inch rake fin which I used to have on a long egg surfboard) which I'm getting used to.

The SUP has a five fin box set up......so would like to try a quad and thruster probably.

Always assumed that I would have to buy a FCS box adaptor but realise Gerry Lopez fin set mean I can simply plug in a central fin no probs.

These fins seem to have a decent rep as both thrusters and quads?  I am hearing these fins are quite tall and wondering if that isn't such a good thing in average to small surf?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:08:10 PM by coldsup »

Thomo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Science
Re: Gerry Lopez SUP fin sets
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »
I have a Surftech GL Sweetie Pie 8.10 setup with the GL quads and I love it in all surf. I also have a Naish Hokua 7.6 with the GL quads and whilst I initially didn't like them in the shorter board they are growing on me a lot. Other people say they're too big so I guess it depends on how you like to surf.
All the best

Darran Thomas

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »
GL's make great twin-fin setup.
Too much fin as a tri or quad.
My opinion.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Fin sizing is so subjective, the GL-1's are a great quad for me (205+lbs) on my 10 footer while the GL-2's (slightly smaller) work great for my buddy on her 9 footer (she's a lot lighter).

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:54 AM »
I splashed out on the 5 fin set so will try both. I'm on the 90kg side so big fins okay with me.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
ColdSup,

I got them on a few of my boards and love them.  Some like it quad and some like it tri.  I had a thin 10 foot board and it loved the tri setup.  I also have 9.6 to 8.6 all setup as gl quads.  Love em.  For me they ride great.  I am heavy and tall and they work fine for me.  Get a feel for which setup you and your board like in your waves.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
ColdSup,

I got them on a few of my boards and love them.  Some like it quad and some like it tri.  I had a thin 10 foot board and it loved the tri setup.  I also have 9.6 to 8.6 all setup as gl quads.  Love em.  For me they ride great.  I am heavy and tall and they work fine for me.  Get a feel for which setup you and your board like in your waves.

The fun is in the trying :) Never used a quad before so interested in how that goes. Used to have a twinnie fish surfboard - rocket fuel so reckon a quad might give me some of that feel again but with less skate.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:30:55 AM »
GL's make great twin-fin setup.
Too much fin as a tri or quad.
My opinion.

going to try that too :)

gtcali

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »
I just got a quad set for a 4 + 1 board I just picked up (came with 2+1 set).  I've never ridden a quad so I'm  not sure what to expect or look for.  They look HUGE but I guess that's what I expected from a SUS fin.

And what's the deal with finding SUS fins.  There only seems to be an hand full of surf fins out there.

Anyway, any more Input on these Fins? 

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
Got a set of the quads for my naish hokua 9'10
Snapped one of the front fins in a shallow water roll around.....but still using the rear fins with Shapers S9 fins as the front two fins
I like them and no problems when waves get a bit of size

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal