Author Topic: Feeling an urge to surf  (Read 15271 times)

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Feeling an urge to surf
« on: August 06, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
Prone surfing that is, and I have no background in it.  I have SUP surfed for five years now so etiquette and wave knowledge have increased as well as surfing once I'm on the wave.  But the pop-up is killing me.  I'm stubborn and intent on learning this on a 7' big boy Joe Blair round tail fish (23" wide and 3" thick).  I'm 6-1 & 215 btw.  Not the best choice I'm sure but something in me doesn't crave longboarding and I've got this board.  Any advice on how to pop up when your feet hang off the back of the board and you can't use your toes?  This is day 2 and I managed to get up a couple times but it was ugly and I had to use a knee (a bad habit I hear and difficult on this board)...

TDoc

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • surfinoregon.com
    • Email
Re: Feeling an urge to surf
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
Depends a lot on the types of waves your trying to learn on. Personally, although a 7' board isn't "short"...it is a bit short to learn on and you'll need waves with some push to make it go. If the waves are small or mushy there might not be enough speed the properly pop to your feet without the board wobbling around. That's where learning on an LB is more forgiving. If you're set on the 7' I think you'll want chest to head high waves that will allow you to actually "drop in" to the wave rather than "popping up". What I mean is that as you paddle & catch the wave the board will actually fall away from you (you might help it directionally a bit) and as it does you bring your feet under you. You will likely fail many times but you'll maybe get it quicker than trying to get mushy waves and getting left behind in the whitewash. Good luck...maybe borrow a longboard (to get the feel).

Doc

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
You can probably prone surf your SUP.
You might want to do that for a while.
It will probably be easier than the prone
board you have.  Do that for a while and
then switch over.

I used to prone surf my 10'6" Pearson Laird....
sometimes if it was really crowded and no other
SUPs were out.  Its almost as fun as SUP surfing,
but I haven't done it in over a year.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »
Surfing a "shortish" board requires that you get into the critical area of a proper sized wave. It's really hard to get going in mush. On the pop you need to push te board under your feet and get into position without hesitation. It's not easy. You don't really stand up, you pull the board I under you.

Easier to master popping up on something a little bigger and then transition, though a lot of the skills don't transfer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »
They really are two different sports, I believe.  My perspective and experience comes from Great Lakes waves which, I feel, handicaps me to start with.  Sure, a lot of skills cross over but it seems to me that the take off zone is different, being in the critical part of the wave is more crucial and the general rhythm you operate on is different.  Learning on a longboard, or your own SUP as a 2nd choice is better than your 7 footer.

That said, it's well worth it.  I will often switch to my 9'8 at the end of an SUP session to work a different muscle group and also because I have really learned some stuff about the break that day that will help me during the traditional surf experience.

I also got a 6'2 shortboard that really challenges me and I use it or the longboard on big, blown out days since I am in a windswell location.  The experience of total immersion is also very different from my usual stand-up experience.

I also love carrying the teeny tiny board to the beach rather than a bigger board and paddle, especially when it's cranking out.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 07:49:01 PM »
Well call me ignorant, but to sup surf and never actually ride a surfboard, you are really missing out. They both complement each other and you get better at both as you switch back-and-forth.  I've been doing this long enough, I can spot who surfed before they started Sup'ing.

:)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
Any advice on how to pop up when your feet hang off the back of the board and you can't use your toes?  

Practice the pop up with the board on the sand first, preferably on a slight down slope.  Dragging your feet across the sand will simulate dragging them through the water.  Assuming you surf natural stance and you need to cheat, you can chicken-wing your right leg for leverage.  As your girlfriend pushes you into the wave, bring your right knee forward, toward the right rail ( like an army crawl), then as you pop up, jam your left leg forward.  Don't laugh, it worked in Point Break and Blue Crush. ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:47:39 PM by Bean »

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
i used to always try the pop up from a push up position but the last few years i have switched to holding the rails longer as i bring my feet up under me. lots more success that way.  I ride a 6'2" and when i switch from my 8'5" SUP i always blow a few rides by stepping right off the tail of the shorter board .  :D

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
I have surfed on my SUP a few times. To me it seems like a poor facsimile of real surfing. At least regarding the pop up part.

Once that big board starts moving it doesn't take much skill to pop up onto. Good practice for a bit but very little finesse required. With a prone board in the width you are trying the margin for error is comparably small. I have practiced the move in my garage on my indo board lots of times. It takes a certain degree of flexibility and so I like to check that I have it.
Make paddleboarding great again!

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Feeling an urge to surf
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 06:44:18 AM »
I have been practicing pop ups on the floor and trying not to use my toes but I haven't had much success.  I'm not going to a knee though so I figure I'm building up the muscles I don't regularly use so it's bound to get better.   I'm certainly sore in different places! 

I also think that being on the wave helps because the board is dropping while I'm pushing up (creating more space to bring my legs up?) plus the inertia in the wave helps fling my lower body up into position?

All the surfers in my regular lineup like my efforts which helps build good SUP/prone relations (and/or it's funny watching my big arse flail about)...

Thanks for all the tips so far!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »
My tip? Find yourself a 9-6 used longboard and add it to the quiver.  

Eventually your pop up will improve, but having something with enough glide to catch the wave early will give you the extra time to fumble a bit but still get up.  10 to 15 sessions on the 9-6 will give you the practice to make the same move on the 7' blair in a steeper section of the wave.  

I'm partial to Johnny Rice shapes (lighter) or Weber stylists (durable), at about 22 to 23 inch wide for stability. Since your used to sups, you'll enjoy the added width.  

Best of luck.

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »
you are a big guy.7foot board to learn on ain't gonna happen easily,if ever.you gotta take it in steps.first on your sup,so you get the pop up,and yes,never with a knee down.learn to turn and trim the board,without digging rails.then get a longboard,do the same,turn and trim without digging rails.Practice on a 2x4 laying flat to cross step,no shuffling.Longboarding is all about style and trim.Then get on your 7 foot board.Keep us posted.
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »
much easier to prone surf then go SUP surf....I learned that way.

as others say - easier to learn on a longboard but then I bet you will resort to using the toes and you won't learn a proper pop up. Your board is fine actually size wise - maybe not the easiest but you just need to get it in bigger surf where you "fall" onto the board rather than having to use explosive power to get up. If you ever look at surfers with good pop ups they do it without all the grunt and struggle that you may be experiencing.....looks so simple when you get it but it takes time.

Back flexibility is a big issue too - not sure of your age but if you are on the more mature side then the speed and flexibility needed to do it smoothly may be beyond you....sorry if that is hard to hear :( But, being more positive, you can practice on the floor a lot - just look at this video which makes it looks effortless Real short board pop-up

Back issues (and lack of decent surf) got me into SUP - much better  ;)

Good luck my stubborn friend - go to it!!

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
I have watched that one a lot - the more I watch it and try to replicate it the more I hate that kid...

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
I have watched that one a lot - the more I watch it and try to replicate it the more I hate that kid...

Might sound really daft (I never did it) but makes sense - I remember one guy years ago saying instead of trying pop ups on the floor......next time you are at a quiet bit of sand dune...bung your board on a slope down facing and try the pop up.....gives you a better idea of falling onto the board.

Not something to do in front of people ;)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal