Author Topic: Bark Dominator vs. Starboard Allstar‏  (Read 7794 times)

SpecialK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Bark Dominator vs. Starboard Allstar‏
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »
Anyone have any feedback? Here are the results of a test I did yesterday:

Just for the record, all tests were straight out and back, and comparisons here were back-to-back (with rest) to avoid the impact of fatigue and changing conditions. My GPS was also set to only start recording when the pace fell below 8:00/km to avoid the impact of choppy starts.

Bottom Line: The Starboard Allstar was faster than the Bark Dominator by somewhere in the 0:10-to-0:20/km range with texture on the water, and at least no slower in glass. Top-end speed seemed higher as well. Stepping an inch wider on the Allstar, to 26", cut into this advantage by about 0:10/km.

Here are some details (paces are all min/km):

1) The first test was just 200m runs at moderate effort first thing in the morning when the lake was still glass. The SB25 was 0:10/km faster over 2 runs (out and back), but I'm a bit suspicious of the 2nd run with the Bark. So call it a draw in glassy water, with maybe an edge to the SB25. At any rate, I can safely say that the SB25 is at least not slower than the Bark in glassy water.

SB Allstar 25" vs. Bark Dominator
200m, Moderate effort, full energy, glassy conditions

SB 25": 6:29      
SB 25": 6:25      
Avg: 6:27      

Bark: 6:26      
Bark: 6:46      
Avg: 6:36      

2) Next is the 25" Allstar vs. the Bark over 500m. This was at the very end of our testing (14x500m intervals), so energy was lower. I ran these back-to-back though, so conditions and energy should not be factors. The wind had also kicked up and there was some texture on the lake. Not enough to catch glides, but enough to slap the nose around when going upwind. Here, the SB25 was faster both up and downwind by an average of 0:12/km. The advantage was greater going downwind. To be honest, I felt like I was labouring a bit with the last upwind leg (SB25), so the 9 sec advantage might be understated a bit. Also, I felt that when I really dug in, I got more speed from the SB25 than the Bark - in other words, I think the speed ceiling is higher on the SB25. Stability was no issue for me in these conditions, but the SB25 did roll more side-to-side - not sure what impact this has on speed if I were to quiet it down. Overall, I can confidently say that the SB25 is faster than the Bark by somewhere in the 0:10-0:20/km range when there is texture on the lake. I assume the advantage would be the same or larger in bigger conditions (if you can stay on the board).

SB Allstar 25" vs. Bark Dominator      
500m, Firm effort, lower energy, stiff upwind/downwind with small texture

Upwind:   

SB 25": 7:20         
Bark: 7:29         

Downwind:            

SB 25": 6:08         
Bark: 6:22   

SB Avg: 6:44         
Bark Avg:   6:56

3) Finally, the SB25 vs. an inch wider with the SB26. I paddled these back-to-back early in the test, so conditions and energy should again not be a factor. The wind, however, did kick up a bit more with the SB26. Still, the SB25 was faster in both the upwind and downwind legs by an average of 0:10/km.

SB Allstar 25" vs. SB Allstar 26"      
Firm effort, high energy, moderate upwind/downwind with little texture

Upwind:            
SB 25": 6:44         
SB 26": 7:00         

Downwind:            
SB 25": 6:06         
SB 26": 6:10         

SB 25" Avg: 6:25         
SB 26" Avg: 6:35   

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bark Dominator vs. Starboard Allstar‏
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 02:31:10 PM »
Very cool test. Wish we saw more reviews like this on the zone. did you feel the advantage was in less width or design of shape? What is your weight and height? Thanks again for a great review.

SpecialK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »
Sorry, important detail: I'm 6'0 and 190 lbs. And a fairly competitive (but not elite) racer.

Width seems to be the main factor since dropping to the 26" was already losing some of the advantage. Very different feeling with the starboard slapping across the chop versus the cutting Bark (my board for 2+ yrs). Going back to the Bark after being on the 25" Allstar felt like paddling a barge.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »
Interesting, but I'm not you have enough data here to draw any conclusions.  For example, I'd say your first 200m run on the Bark was essentially equal to either run on the AllStar.  So my question would be why was the second Bark run slower, or why was there so much variation between the two Bark runs?  I doubt the board suddenly increased drag in the second run, so it has to be the paddler or the conditions, doesn't it?  How do you control the level of the paddler's effort, the cadence, or the concentration, which will all affect the outcome?

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
Wow--thanks very much for all the effort and info.  Results seem similar to what I feel (without any formal test) about my Bark vs. Javelin.  Javelin is faster on average, and for maximum speed.  Mostly, Bark feels sluggish after being on the Javelin.  My Glide feels like an overachiever on flatwater--faster than it should be for the rocker and nose shape.  Same is true of my old Glide, which has a horrible nose for flatwater speed.  I think the reason has to be the narrowness.  Going narrower really does seem to be able to overcome other factors in flatwater.  

I thought the comparison between the two widths of the same board was even more interesting than between the Starboard and Bark.  It shows what happens when only one factor is changed.  Width being more of a penalty upwind than down makes sense.  

Please repeat this test with all the other major 14' boards.   ;D

SpecialK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »
For example, I'd say your first 200m run on the Bark was essentially equal to either run on the AllStar.  So my question would be why was the second Bark run slower, or why was there so much variation between the two Bark runs?

I agree, as mentioned in the report.

And also agree that more data would be better (if I had more time on this particular day). Effort, conditions, etc are very hard to control, but I'm pretty confident from closely watching my gps, the wind and my energy during all these runs that the bottom line is pretty accurate. I'd love to take these 3 boards out for a few hours and gather a bigger sample...

Throwing a 25" dominator shape into the mix too would get really interesting... I suspect these results are not as much a statement about the SB shape vs the Dominator, but rather 25" vs 26" vs 27.5". And that a 25" dominator would outperform a 25" Allstar in the flats, but lag downwind.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »
I also love these kind of posts. Currently paddle a Bark shape (Laird Bark) and am getting ready to make a move on something new. One if the things you mention about the SB is slapping across the chop. Remember back to when I bought the 14' Coast Runner which was a nice (but fragile) board. The damn slapping of the nose used to drive me crazy. Disconcerting. I do really love the quietness of the true displacement nose.  But, for sure, it's time for me to go narrower. Thanks for this review.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »
Special,
My observations in width have been the same as yours. Have tried many different boards this season and width seems to be the biggiest  factor. Of course volume and rail shape are also important. Tippy boards are fun and fast but you still need to stay upright!

Just when you think you have it nailed on what makes a board fast, the game changes. My brother's 14x26 Allstar seems like it would be  tippy, but it is one of the most stable boards I have been on. I also believe the top end speed is faster on it than my 14x25 Ace.

Would be really cool for more of these tests on the zone. Would love to see Pdx do some GPS testing between his Dominator and Jav etc..it seems like we will never see these tests in mainstream media.
Great work Special!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard