Author Topic: SUP - Growth Accelerating  (Read 24193 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
SUP - Growth Accelerating
« on: July 27, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
Interested in hearing what you guys are seeing in your areas.  By all of our internal measures it seems like 2013 is the first big spike year in SUP growth (far exceeding what is showing up on Google's Search Charts below) with growth everywhere, but with inland locales really popping off.  While we are still seeing growth in the surfing aspects of the sport (Google is reporting this as down) it is hugely overshadowed by non-surf interest (race, tour, flat, downwind).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:47:51 AM by Admin »

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: SUP - Growth Accelerating
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »
It is interesting to see exactly how seasonal the interest is.  In Maine, we have about a 10 week season.  We lost about 2.5-3 weeks due to terrible weather in the spring, so thats 30% of our season.  After the slow start, its been going strong...at least as strong as last year.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »
Seems like every tourist coming to the beach this summer, has a SUP on the roof. As opposed to prior years, when they hauled kayaks on the roof.

We talked to a few of them (in rental houses near us). The SUPs stayed on the roof.  The ocean was beyond their comfort and skill level.  Lake and river paddlers coming here and thinking the ocean would be like home.

They thought we were rock stars  ;D

mittenkitten

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »
It's definitely growing here in the Great Lakes. I'm going to guess that the race I was at today had almost 2x the number of participants we had last year. In northern Michigan I'd see a car every now and then with a board, but this summer I feel like it's a common sighting.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 09:19:33 PM »
Well the Hood is certainly full of board. Used to be that if someone was doing a downwinder at Viento I knew who they were. Today I saw two groups of ten or so, and didn't know any of them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
The numbers are in the numbers:

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »
The charts show the waves are getting smaller for surfers, and larger for everyone else.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:03:12 AM »
Not just more locals doing it or seeing boards on their cars but an amazing amount of tourists with plates from all over the country with boards on their rigs this summer. Still more kayaks on rigs by far but overall but it isn't such a random thing to see boards on something from cross country.  I can say this is the first summer I have seen someone other than me with more than one board on the top of their rig and seeing that about every other day. Who knows how many inflatables are packed away in all the land yachts and motor homes you never see.
I would also say river running on boards here has doubled every year easily. That is mostly locals but some out of towners for sure.

paddlebuilder

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »
At my local flatwater venue, four years ago there was one paddler, three years ago two, last year 6 or eight and this year I haven't been able to count all of them.  Same with retail and rental....two years ago, none, last year, one.  This year four commercial operators in some form or another.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »
A portion of the latest paddlers are the roto/blow molded kayak customer.    That market is large enough to command major floor space in big box which means the volume is there.  We’re starting to see SUP pull from this large pool as well as the more fickle niche markets.    SUP is also clearly pulling in new participants which will grow the overall paddle sports market. 

PDX, you can even add humor to charts.  Could have used you in stats class.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »
Chan--I dunno.  There are some pretty good statistics jokes already out there:

A Bayesian and a Frequentist were to be executed. The judge asked them what were their last wishes. The Bayesian replied that he would like to give the Frequentist one more lecture. The judge granted the Bayesian's wish and then turned to the Frequentist for his last wish. The Frequentist quickly responded that he wished to hear the lecture again and again and again and again...!!!

"What do you get when you trade your Rolls Royce for a Chevrolet owned by Julia Childs?
You get CHEVYCHEF's INEQUALITY!!!

Note that those are two separate jokes.  

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, so I take full responsibility if people start flooding it with their favorite statistics jokes. 

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:03:35 AM by pdxmike »

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »
At the new accelerated trajectory next year's graph should be similar the one below (substitute non-paddler for PWNF)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:30:21 PM by Admin »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
Good thing we're all anonymous in case Admin gets annoyed at people making fun of his thread.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »
That's my plan PDX.  I'm starting my own forum for people who've been banned from SUZ for telling fart jokes.  Are you with me???

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 06:42:45 AM »
German accents now. "Venn I put together a shart like that..."

Yah da-da dah.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal