Author Topic: BARK--new noses  (Read 11203 times)

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
BARK--new noses
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
Saw a new Bark in Hawaii at the July 4 Da Hui North Shore Paddleboard Race.  It had a softer displacement nose (like many of the newer race board designs), very different from all other Bark sharp vertical, cutting canoe style noses.
Wondering if this is his new shape, or a one off custom.
Haven't read/seen any pics (Bark website doesn't have any updates).

Anyone seen/heard of new developments?
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: BARK--new noses
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »
I've seen a few of the new Bark shapes up close, all 14 footers. They seem to be lower volume boards overall especially in the thickness which is quite noticeable around the nose.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
These are Barks new boards for Hawaiian waters or similar conditions like Hawaii. The have more pulled in surfboard like noses (less volume/ no vee under the tip of nose) and a rounder pin tail. According to Morgan Hoestery she said it is the best Bark board she has ridden for down winders here in Hawaii.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 04:11:45 AM »
This is a Bark paddle board, but it may be the future of the new Bark stand up open ocean design. The red and white looks cool!!!  :o

NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
Barks paddle board looks just like  a new Starboard  :)  same nose thats for sure

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:34:58 PM »
Sure seems like his 'innovation' is copied.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:27:03 PM »
Maybe that board in the Starboard catalog is a Bark.  

The Bark nose is a somewhat generic shape, so being similar doesn't necessarily mean "copied". But Joe Bark doesn't do himself any favor in that regard with the graphics (at 0:44 in the video)--red stripe to the right of center on top of a white board has been a Starboard thing for years, and isn't generic at all.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:31:45 PM by pdxmike »

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
the 12 foot bark prone boards have always had a rounder nose.

soulsurfmedia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »

Did someone on this forum just accuse Bark of copying a nose from a starboard SUP for a prone board? I will give you a chance to really think that one through and consider how ridiculous that is.
First off - it's a prone board- not a sup
Second off- look at some history- Bark has been making prone boards for over 30 years- he probably has no need to look at stand ups for inspiration. The commander is actually the CT whose shape has been around for a long time - even that nose.
Maybe starboard copied Joe? Many others have..

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »
Woa bro , thats what I was implying Chris ... we all know Joe's paddle boards and the nose has  been around forever that is a given. Starboard does not have much history when it comes to stand ups.  :) 

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 06:52:16 AM »
Not Bark, Szymanski.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »
I just got a used starboard 14x25 Ace and sitting next to each other it looks like the big brother to my friends 12 foot bark prone board (the outline of it ). Same basic nose and tail. The full nose has been on racing prone boards for a long time and and Brian S. came from a prone paddling back ground. That nose looks like a old waterman paddleboard I had 20 years ago.

check out the picture the middle picture that shows the side view,

http://www.amazon.com/Surftech-Bark-Paddleboard-120-Gray/dp/B006MKBDPI

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 07:32:45 AM »
Joe is actually receiving more orders for prone boards these days than SUP's... Funny how things cycle.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
Joe is actually receiving more orders for prone boards these days than SUP's... Funny how things cycle.
There certainly was a point around the NW a couple years ago when the Surftech Bark 14' came out at exactly the time that many people were making the switch to 14s, and you saw them everywhere--always with Gladiator fins, it seemed.  Then the options for 14' boards expanded greatly.  That Bark shape still works great, and it's not surprising that the guy who came up with it didn't stop there, but it still advancing his designs.  I could see a new wave of Bark boards starting to show up at races.

I've even considered trying a prone board, since I also swim.  On the positive side, it combines my 2 sports.  On the negative, it seems to take the worst parts of each. 

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37:52 PM »
Here is a picture of  Joe's 14 foot board made for Hawaiian waters , in the molokai channel awesome board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal