Author Topic: JP Australia 8.8 pro widebody  (Read 7910 times)

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
JP Australia 8.8 pro widebody
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »
Semi-truck delivered my new board this morning. The driver was nice enough to wait while I opened the box and checked for damage.
Measures   8’8” x 32”   136L
It’s the Pro version with fins in it weights 16.5 lbs
No real surf this morning, but enough to catch some small rides.   The board is super stable for me at 165lbs, so as some had suggested I would have been fine with the 8’2”.  I really appreciate the info/help from some of you folks on the Zone.  Overall very happy with the purchase – thanks  Jim K.
Now we just need one of those hot dates you ‘all been talking about to whip us up some surf.

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: JP Australia 8.8 pro widebody
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
JP

lanikaipaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:48:09 PM »
that van rig is awesome!
Ben

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
Now that board looks right up my street.......does it have a pretty pronounced rocker or do they go okay in slower waves? Maybe a question for someone else if you haven't surfed it much. Anyone else want to chip in?

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: JP Australia 8.8 pro widebody
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
The bottom looks like it might repel sharks! (From the wetsuit thread)  I want one!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

SUPderek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »
I love the 8'2"

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
I love the 8'2"

Do these work in all kinds of waves or just those with punch? Where I am the Allwave works well in most conditions but I like the look of the shape on this and the fact it is quite a bit thinner...but still wide...the rails look very nice round the tail :)

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
Had a fun session on it last night stayed out well after sunset playing on the full moon.  Waves were barely waist high and weak. Basically 2 hours of non-stop paddle out and catch a wave.  Pretty much picked up anything I paddled for. It's the lightest board I've had so feels easy to throw around. Seemed fast in the punchy sections (not much of that, gutless waves)
Stable for me (glassy conditions) and quick to spin around and catch a wave, although feels like it's pushing water and a bit slow paddling in-between and back out.  I wouldn't want any less rocker, had to step back several times to keep the nose up. 
Did not see any sharks, but the manatees and dolphins sure seemed interested.
Came with cheap fins (FCS quad) so looking at a set of Rainbow Heaters unless someone has a better fin suggestion.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »
Think I'll be seriously looking at the heavier version of this board....seems very well designed for beachies. I'm about 90kg with wetsuit so I expect the 8 8 version is the right size for me too. Can't afford the pro version :(

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »
I've love a go at the 7'4x32. Made in Thailand. =(
Taller than most, shorter than others.

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Re: JP Australia 8.8 pro widebody
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »
Do these work in all kinds of waves or just those with punch? Where I am the Allwave works well in most conditions but I like the look of the shape on this and the fact it is quite a bit thinner...but still wide...the rails look very nice round the tail :)

I rode an 8'8"x31.5" Stu Sharpe (very similar shape) this weekend on some shin high monsters.  I felt it had great glide.  Thinking of adding one but I had 2 great sessions on my L41 on Sunday and Monday. I will sort it all out after my trip.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »
 PG... You headed down to Shawn's (Pavones/Pilon)??? Deb and I are thinking up a trip down there in October...   Paddle on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: JP Australia 8.8 pro widebody
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »
JD - I'll let you know how it goes.  Boludo and Shawn/Nathalie have been a big help

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 07:11:34 PM »
That is a beautiful board, looks killer.

Seeing that you got it from JimK, did you discuss how it compares functionally to an Allwave?

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
supderek... I know brevity is considered an attribute on some forums... but could you elaborate just a little? I know there are good surfers on this forum that ride these boards, but they are not doing full reviews. Your opinion will help us to know the board better.

I have been close on this board but didn't have enough info to take the chance at the Pro price.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal