Author Topic: Lightest infatable for backpacking?  (Read 12640 times)

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lightest infatable for backpacking?
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
I'm in the market for a lightweight inflable SUP for backpacking.  Something to take to remote lakes and ponds that require packing in.

I need it to be as light as possible since I'll be carry my usual camping gear too.  It must have about 120 or more Liters, other than that, anything goes.

The ULIs all seem to be heavier, but the iSUPs look light.  I"m sure there's others?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SUPoftheday

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lightest infatable for backpacking?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »
I think it would all depend on the kind of weights you're used to backpacking with and how far you're willing to hike.  I have two ULI's and an older Boardworks Shubu, two of which had seen quite a bit of airport and travel time in some type of backpack. This is fine for short-term travel (car to shore, taxi to Delta counter).   But that's it, at least for me.  Maybe I've grown soft and weak since I'm an ultralight  backpacker.  :D

It seeks that by the time you add the pump, paddle, pfd, and the rest of your camping gear, you'll be hauling 45-60lbs inside a monster pack.

IMO, I suggest a packraft for trips like that.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:46 PM »
Hey sharksupper,

We have the Red Paddle Co inflatables in stock.

http://greenwatersports.com/shop/product-category/stand-up-paddle/boards/inflatable-boards

Sizes start at the 9'2" x 30" Surf Star and it weighs in at about 21lbs and has about 160l volume. It is listed to carry about 200lbs. It has tie downs for gear in the forward section. RSS rail battens. Then up to the 9'6" x 32" at 25lbs, 190l and can carry 210lbs. Tie downs and RSS too.

9'2" on the left <-- --> 9'6" on the right

From there you're up to the 10' x30" Surfer which has similar stats (193l, 210lbs) to the 9'6" x 32" but weighs 27lbs. Tie downs and RSS too.

These weights are board only - pump and bag will set you back another 5-6lbs or so.

Then as you move up in the range, you'll be able to carry more weight (if you are carrying your camping gear on the board) otherwise if you're just paddling around once you reach your camp site, the lighter the better I would imagine!

We also have 3 piece paddles in fibreglass and carbon from Red Paddle Co which fit neatly into the same bag as the iSUP.

To get you started here are some direct links to the boards:
9'2"http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-9-2-surf-star
9'6" http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-9-6-all-water
10' http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-10-surfer

Paddles:
http://greenwatersports.com/shop/product-category/stand-up-paddle/paddles-sup/3-piece-paddles
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
Carrying everything myself would be a task!  I think only day trips will be possible for solo.  However, if going with a few buddies and you just want one board.... it would be easy enough to distribute the load and make a longer trip doable.  I intend to do both.   In either case, I just want the lightest SUP I can get   :) 

I see a few iSUPs at 20lbs, but all the ULIs are 26+  Any others which are lighter?

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
I had some virgin alpine lakes in mind when I ordered my Astro Touring.  But the bulk is huge and the total weight with everything pushes upwards of about 40 lbs even though this board weights in at a light 22 lbs.  I gave up that dream when I realized I'd have to carry  60+ lbs 10 miles one way.  It reminds me of a father / son duo who humped 90 lbs and 65 lbs respectively up the Mist trail to LYV.  Part of their load, a full set of cast iron cookware!

But to answer your question, the lightest inflatable boards that you might to able to stand on are the Starboard surfboards.  Wide, high volume and light.  If you're 150 lbs, doable, if you're 200 lbs, no chance.

p.s.  Although my included Starboard carry pack is great to toss in the car, a walk across an airport would be brutal.  A flatbed or barrel frame pack would be required to cover any distance at all, including just a day trip.

Better yet, there use to be a girl Sherpa service in Tahoe:)  SUP Sherpas for the money to burn crew.  Or for the super rich and OC residents, Heli-Supping.

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
The BEST Packs are the Red Board Paddle boards....Their pack is Far and above Better than all the others.......It has a mid waist buckle and Is Made for Backpacking where it is set up to carry the Load on your hips.......If the boards are only a pound or 2 different, then I'd go with the Best Pack, which is the Red boards......Just my 2 cents :D 

Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 06:19:53 AM »
The BEST Packs are the Red Board Paddle boards....Their pack is Far and above Better than all the others.......It has a mid waist buckle and Is Made for Backpacking where it is set up to carry the Load on your hips.......If the boards are only a pound or 2 different, then I'd go with the Best Pack, which is the Red boards......Just my 2 cents :D 

See it better here.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=19679.0

DJ

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 07:03:43 AM »
I had some virgin alpine lakes in mind when I ordered my Astro Touring. 

Better yet, there use to be a girl Sherpa service in Tahoe:)  SUP Sherpas for the money to burn crew.  Or for the super rich and OC residents, Heli-Supping.
Actually in the Wind Rivers you can hire an outfitter to pack in your stuff where you want with horses or mules and then they will pack it out whenever you have it set up for. You don't have to ride in with them. They do all the heavy lifting. Pretty reasonable fee too. I would imagine they are in Tahoe too.

JerseySUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
My 12'6 Starboard Astro touring is something like 19lbs. It's super light compared to other inflatables I've tried/owned. Combine that with a 3 piece Werner carbon travel paddle and you're set. I just love having the ability to take a 12'6 board with me wherever I go.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal