Author Topic: SUP and a Whale!  (Read 4005 times)

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
SUP and a Whale!
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:58:10 AM »
I am sure this has been on here already but still kinda wild. I dont agree with getting this close to a whale and its super dangerous.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP and a Whale!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »
Wow, that was close.

When I did a distance paddle yesterday after my surf session, I had a strange encounter. Not as cool as the Fourth of July when I saw a black jelly the size of a car hood, though.  I did a bit of a triangle. Up the coast past three arch, out into the ocean (to try to get the correct angle to ride the slight wind bumps back to the pad.)

I was focusing on stroke, and breathing, and balance (my "new to me" 14er is a bit tippy) out of the corner of my eye is a large breach and ensuing splash. Not a dolphin, not sure if it was a whale because it seemed like an object that cleared the water, then splashed.  Not sure enough to email the shark research guys. But sure enough to paddle a little faster, keep my center of gravity a little lower... And perhaps get thyself home.

Every time I go out for a distance run, I see something amazing. I am not going out with a GPS or timing myself, just cruising, working on form, and taking in the sights.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:26:53 AM »
Yeah i bet that got your heart pumping. I think that is what is so scary and beautiful about the ocean, its the unknown! Crazy to think they have more knowledge about the surface of Mars then our oceans. The movie Abyss always gets my imagination going when thinking about the deep.

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:53 AM »
Just sea terns and a lot of snowy egrets around the SF bay this weekend, but a nice paddle anyway. The terns love to dive and plunge for fish just feet from our boards.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
You think that was close.....

Check this out from Sunday over the Ditch from me in Oz

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jul/07/whale-knocks-surfer-unconscious-bondi-beach-video

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jul/07/whale-knocks-surfer-unconscious-bondi-beach-video

Thats like having an 18-wheeler hit you. WOW scary!

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »
Have been that close myself. Mommy whale and baby swam right into the lineup at Cardiff one day. They hung out for a few minutes then strolled away. Closest she got to me was probably eight feet. They were just floating right next to us, very still. Pretty cool.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »

I think this is from that video.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »
Same thing would happen if you stand behind a horse's ass. Even a domesticated one. So why go there with a whale?

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
Same thing would happen if you stand behind a horse's ass. Even a domesticated one. So why go there with a whale?

Agree totally...its a giant wild animal...we get lots of Orca's in the water here, they feed on stingrays so come in close into the surf zone and shallow harbour water...the amount of people I see trying to get close amazes me.

I tend to paddle to the middle of the pack.  :P

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 02:33:26 AM »
The water is always full of surprises.  Wednesday evening on the paddle back in from watching fireworks, I heard a thump and some flopping.  I thought what is going on with my flip flops as they were on my leash.  All was explained when I turned to find a 14" fish on my board.  Now I have always heard that "any fish will bite if you have good bait", so I showed it off to my friends and thanked it profusely for the validation before brushing it off back to the water.   I hope it was not to offended by the brush off.
Obfuscation through elucidation

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
Wow, that was close.

When I did a distance paddle yesterday after my surf session, I had a strange encounter. Not as cool as the Fourth of July when I saw a black jelly the size of a car hood, though.  I did a bit of a triangle. Up the coast past three arch, out into the ocean (to try to get the correct angle to ride the slight wind bumps back to the pad.)

I was focusing on stroke, and breathing, and balance (my "new to me" 14er is a bit tippy) out of the corner of my eye is a large breach and ensuing splash. Not a dolphin, not sure if it was a whale because it seemed like an object that cleared the water, then splashed.  Not sure enough to email the shark research guys. But sure enough to paddle a little faster, keep my center of gravity a little lower... And perhaps get thyself home.

Every time I go out for a distance run, I see something amazing. I am not going out with a GPS or timing myself, just cruising, working on form, and taking in the sights.

SL

Whoa...." rare Black Jellies:"
LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- A rare jellyfish might have made a stinging debut at a Southern California beach.

The Orange County Register (http://bit.ly/13zfYFb ) reports some people suffered stings all over their bodies last week at Thousand Steps Beach in south Laguna Beach.

Some Fourth of July swimmers came ashore with dark membranes clinging to their bodies as the jellyfish broke up in the surf.

From the color, the jellyfish might be rare black jellies.

Nigela Hillgarth of Birch Aquarium says the species was only identified in 1999 and it has only recently appeared in Southern California.

Black jelly tentacles can grow to 30 feet long. Hillgarth says warmer ocean temperatures may have brought the jellyfish closer to shore in search of prey where they were caught by the current and thrown ashore.

Very cool that you saw it....just don't touch...ouch.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:41:54 PM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal