Author Topic: SUP friendly surf spots in Monmouth County to Seaside?  (Read 8454 times)

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
SUP friendly surf spots in Monmouth County to Seaside?
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »
Hi all,

I am up from FL for a little bit( 3 more weeks) and would like to grab some waves without getting the stink eye if possible. I grew up in NJ but, was a skater in those days. I went to Monmouth Beach last week and found a break but no SUP's were in the line up. That said I did not paddle out. I am not looking for "Broadway" or your secret spot, just a place to go where it will be all good.

I checked out this cam http://njbeachcams.com/northern-new-jersey/monmouth-beach-cam-and-surf-report and then figured out it's location by using Google Earth. Turns out it is at Loch Arbour. Looks decent...anybody ever SUP it?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP friendly surf spots in Monmouth County to Seaside?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:09 AM »
The only no-go SUS beach in Monmouth County is Spring Lake.  That's not to say the people there are not friendly, only that they have a policy against SUS at the surfing beaches during guard-hours.

Manasquan gets really crowded, Sea Girt has a couple of nice breaks.  The entire shoreline from Bay Head and south to Island Beach State Park has been reshaped by Sandy so lots of new sand bars to explore.  If you want alot of shoulder room, ride down to 24th Ave in Seaside Park and you can paddle right into IBSP.  Remember, if you are entering a NJ beach for fishing or surfing your access is free.

I'm usually at Sea Girt at dawn, and sometimes late afternoon, stop in.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 08:15:41 AM »
I will be in Middletown (uncles house), Mammouth Beach, and Sea Bright in October to see my family, parents where born in Rumson/Mammouth Beach. Have not been to Jersey in about 10 years and did not SUP then, would like to get into the waves when there. I have boogie boarded years ago and remember some decent waves but know Sandy changed all of that plus they have been rebuilding the beaches for years prior to that. Any good places to rent and as SaltH20 asked to SUS? How are the waves in October?

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
Boardwalk rentals in Long Branch are easy to come by, but the board quality is questionable.

StandUpPaddleNJ: http://www.standuppaddlenj.com/?page_id=40
is the official rental provider for Paddle for a Purpose (July 21)  so you might do better with them.

I pass by Midstream in Brick all the time: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midstream-rental-kayaks-paddleboards-floating-docks-sales/191662560892098
I've never rented from them, but I know they have SUPs available and I would bet they have a good selection thanks to their proximity to the Jersey Paddler.

The Jersey Paddler is great: http://www.jerseypaddler.com/
but to the best of my knowledge they don't do rentals.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »
Tried to add this to the post above, but it won't let me even though the "modify" button is still there.   ???

-----

If you're going to be in Middletown go south cross the bridge to Red Bank and park at Maple Cove for access to the Navesink River. Don't bother with Shadow Lake. The Stevenson Park put-ins are still a mess from Sandy, and even if you brave it, you have about 20 yards of fin tangling vegetation to get through to get to the lake proper.

If you don't mind the $15/day fee  Sandy Hook is open for business. The kids working the kiosks can tell you where SUP/SUS is permitted.

Sorry, I don't have any SUS spots, that's above me skill level.  :P
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
+1 on Standuppaddlenj, Jason's a great guy

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
I've SUSed the spot in Loch Arbor on the cam before and it's a nice mellow wave though I was given a hard time by a few of the older longboarders.   Since I could handle myself and wasn't hogging waves I didn't really care.  I spoke to one of the guys after my session and he mentioned that someone got badly hurt by a SUP board a couple years back so they're not fans, though he saw that I know what I was doing and said as much.  However that was back in April and I can imagine how much more crowded it is during Summer weekends.
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »
I've SUSed the spot in Loch Arbor on the cam before and it's a nice mellow wave though I was given a hard time by a few of the older longboarders.   Since I could handle myself and wasn't hogging waves I didn't really care.  I spoke to one of the guys after my session and he mentioned that someone got badly hurt by a SUP board a couple years back so they're not fans, though he saw that I know what I was doing and said as much.  However that was back in April and I can imagine how much more crowded it is during Summer weekends.

I went to the Loch Arbour spot this morning. I had a great time. Met one local and few guys from the Philly area up for the day. No hassle or issues. I will surf there again for sure! I am thinking about paddling up towards Deal next time to see if anything is behind all the mansions. All in all a much needed day. I had a blast working on going right. ;D Hoping that the Thursday morning forecast holds up.

Bean-

Thanks for the info. Had no idea it was free if you are surfing. I will look for you next time I am in your area.
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I may take my iSUP but will be taking train from DC up to NJ and not sure I want to haul it around. My parents are super familiar with the Navesink around Redbank and Rumson. My uncles where part of those crazies who use to take Hobie Cats out into ocean during Nor-Easters. I would guess in October the beaches have less people?

psusurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
As to Loch Arbor, that is my go to spot.  Used to live in AP until I moved to Point Beach a couple years ago.  Still go there when it is pumping.  Big waves weed the crowds out and even though it looks crowded, most of the people are just toiling on the inside.  Because I know most of the regulars there, I SUP there without problems.  However, when I first moved over to a SUP on smaller days I got a bunch of crap from the regulars, even though I was friendly with them.  If you can surf, no one is going to bust your balls to much. When I feel like shortboarding I just move south to AP and there is always an empty spot somewhere.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:03:07 AM »
As to Loch Arbor, that is my go to spot.  Used to live in AP until I moved to Point Beach a couple years ago.  Still go there when it is pumping.  Big waves weed the crowds out and even though it looks crowded, most of the people are just toiling on the inside.  Because I know most of the regulars there, I SUP there without problems.  However, when I first moved over to a SUP on smaller days I got a bunch of crap from the regulars, even though I was friendly with them.  If you can surf, no one is going to bust your balls to much. When I feel like shortboarding I just move south to AP and there is always an empty spot somewhere.

I am a newb when it comes to surf. So need a small break with the least amount of people so I can fall and fall a lot.

Sorry to kinda bogart this post, but interested in the area too.  ;D

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:06:04 AM »
From early September, as the kids head back to school, the beaches begin to empty but the water stays pretty warm through mid-October.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »
From early September, as the kids head back to school, the beaches begin to empty but the water stays pretty warm through mid-October.

I dont have issues with cold waters, rivers and lakes around here are bitter in spring/fall. I prob will be the only one out there in board shorts, light spf longsleeve, and white irish skin in october. Well might be more white irish skinned people being that my entire Irish Catholic family is there. haha.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 06:30:17 AM »
free  for  fishing or  surfing???  can u tell that to local beach badge checkers...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 07:53:37 AM »
Hey Newton, ironically its free at Spring Lake (it is supposed to be state wide).  In talking with the Sea Girt badge checkers and summer cops, they have heard about it but Sea Girt has apparently "opted out".   

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal