Author Topic: SUP Sports/Lucke Hammer Board Review  (Read 20318 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
SUP Sports/Lucke Hammer Board Review
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »
Dimensions and design: 9'5" x 33" x 4.5 (est.), 175L. Subtle belly nose transition to concave to pronounced double concave tail. Quad plus stubby center fin.

Weight, with pad and fins: 21lbs (estimate)

Rider background & location: 6'1", 260lb, 50 years old. Intermediate surfer, suspect balance at times. 3 hours on the board in thigh to chest high glassy point break.

Stability: In the upper echelon of stable big guy boards, slightly less than a South County Turtle, equal to SUP Sports Mahalo extra wide or starboard Whopper.  Loss in secondary stability from length more than made up for in fat arse.

Paddling out: Tracks fairly straight with good technique, glides easy for a surf shape.  Punch through push back wasn’t more than current board. For some reason it was easier to make micro adjustments to my direction, maybe because it skates on top and responds to body twists better than other boards I’ve been on.

Wave performance: Here’s where the story lies.  We started the day with my daughter trying it out (near 6’ and athletic 165).  She’s an occasional sup surfer, beginner level, but can surf down the line ok and she’s pretty gutsy.  She rides about 4 and then passes it to me saying “it’s different that your 10-3, but it really goes fast.”  I get on and to put it mildly …I struggle.  I’m awful. It’s like I lost all skill in one pill. I barely catch one crappy whitewater ride.  I’m stable and comfortable but catching waves becomes impossible.  

I swap boards with Bulkyboarder (6-1, 235 ish) and he immediately catches 8 consecutive waves, flying down the line. I looked at him with my jaw open…questioning whether there’s a possibility I’ve had a stroke while surfing.  He asks if there’s any way we could tell Wardog “pirates” made off with the board.  I’m befuddled.  Bulky’s on fire and I’m a soggy mess.  

Board-swap time again.  This time my wife gets it (5-10 and a hundred and *static mumble mumble* and insanely athletic for someone north of 50).  She catches 6 or so, and notes that it has a way different feel than her 9’ progressive shape board, she likes that it turns so easy and changes directions when you want it to.  She described it as smooth and really fast.

I need a Gatorade, a piece of chicken and some time to think.  At this point I’m ready to cancel my order.  I take it out for a second effort, while the girls finish lunch. Not sure what I did different, perhaps a more pronounced staggered stance, but it’s a 180 of the morning.  I catch 10 to 15 waves in rapid succession, with one or two paddles each. The board goes faster than anything I’ve ridden and it seems to want you to mash the tail down for a cut back.  The speed made it almost hard to nose ride because every trip up would result in me quickly outracing the shoulder and require a walk back for a turn or two.  The tail with makes rear foot placement critical for turns but once that is wired, the board changes direction quickly.  I’ve never surfed a board with a “skatey” feel, but this may be what they feel like.

Enjoyability:  These were ideal conditions for a demo and I know I can’t expect perfection every outing.  However, the board didn’t have to make sections, I could just outrace them. It’s different than what I’m used to but in a most enjoyable sense. I still can’t explain my ineptitude early on when everyone else just jumped on it and ripped.  It’s probably just me.  It’s weird to go from “cancel that order” to “can I get two” all in one day.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:29:54 AM by SlatchJim »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: SUP Sports/Lucke Hammer Board Review
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
Aloha Jim,
I'm sure that most "normal" standup paddle surfing folks feel a bit of discomfort once they decide to push their own board size limits...good on you for pushing on through it...no gain without pain...;-)

Also stoked that you found the accelerator...and, experienced the speed gains...

In the pics below, the 9'5" x 33" is the board on the right...set up with my 5"/4" quad + 3 3/16" StubNub...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2013/06/hammer-sup-models.html

http://surfingsports.com/sups_95_10_hammers/album/index.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »

I swap boards with Bulkyboarder (6-1, 235 ish) and he immediately catches 8 consecutive waves, flying down the line. I looked at him with my jaw open…questioning whether there’s a possibility I’ve had a stroke while surfing.  He asks if there’s any way we could tell Wardog “pirates” made off with the board.  I’m befuddled.  Bulky’s on fire and I’m a soggy mess.  

Just had to quote this as the only other time I would have probably been described as "flying down the line" or "on fire" would be when the object of comparison was a manatee.

That said, I've been daydreaming of Hammers since Saturday.  That thing just took off for me.  I'll have to schedule a demo of my own, Wardog, because I'm still a little steamed at Jim for asking me to give it back.  Now, got to look around my house for something to sell...
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
I know manatees, manatees are friends of mine, and you sir are no manatee.  :D

The first wave of the after lunch session sealed the deal permanently.  It's now seared into my memory.

Looked for a moment there that I was going to have to get creative if I ever wanted to get the board back from you, Bulky.  There was even a moment when you surfed all the way to the stairs, and I thought I'd lost you (and the board) for good.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
Aloha Jim,
Your new 9'5" is ready...how stoked you must be having wifey/daughter buy a custom SUP for you!!!
Hope you get to ride it before they do!...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »

Stability: In the upper echelon of stable big guy boards, slightly less than a South County Turtle, equal to SUP Sports Mahalo extra wide or starboard Whopper.  

Really?  As stable as these boards? It's 6" shorter, and about as wide as the avg board mentioned above.  What about it's design allows it to be so stable?
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 08:53:57 PM »
In my experience 6" of length is not going to impact the stability of a board all that much; but a single inch of width can make all the difference.  My 8'0 and my 8'6 are the same width and very similar in stability.  So much I have a hard time making any distinctions, although there is a little...  Its very subtle.
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 09:37:35 AM »
Really?  As stable as these boards? It's 6" shorter, and about as wide as the avg board mentioned above.  What about it's design allows it to be so stable?
That hammer baby has "Back" and nearly as much board surface at distance away from the center line as the other two.  It's actually 7 inches shorter than the whopper and turtle.  The turtle has a really flat nose doing the same trick as the hammer's tail, but that shape is a beast to punch through waves with. Recent shapes from south county trimmed the nose and overall volume down significantly.  The hammer's nose is still pretty rounded but quite thin compared to the rest of the board.  It's low rocker and thin nose allows you to hit the whitewater at the base and ride under most of the force.

I should note that whatever klutzy style i have is in some category between longboarding and shortboarding.  If SUP surfing had a fun shape style, that's what I'd shoot for. Also, there's almost never a time when I say to myself, I'd like a less stable board. :D

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »
Picked up board, two days of use:
Near flat Santa Barbara: Caught a few, but it was phlaghtt water paddling mostly.  Still a nice day, and I did catch the 2 footer that came my way.  Light and easy to carry.

Sunday Doho: Nice morning with fun surf.  Loved losing 10 inches in length and some weight without a significant downgrade in stability or glide.  Catches waves quite easy (now that I've recovered from my stroke-like episode).  Shy of a Sup the Creek primal treatment, it may be the best surfing board I'll be comfortable on at my size.  Got close to the nose on a couple but the Doho mush got to me first. Lots of fun on a workable face.  I'm very happy so far.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
Update: After several months with the Hammer and probably 30 or so sessions a strange thing has happened to me.  I have always been enticed by the newest and latest innovations, and now I'm not.  I'm sure there are boards that do a particular thing better in the water.  However for the spots I surf the Hammer offers the total package. It's what I want to surf on.  No desire for an extra two inches, new tail shape, more rocker or anything.  Now the only other time I surf something else is when my wife or kids take the hammer for a spin.  This has resulted in my wife investigating the possibility of owning one of her own.  It seems that getting a board sized to fit the rider really applies to this shape. The extra tail volume can get you on a much shorter board and still be comfortable. 

Highlights: wave catching ease, lightness, speed, nimble turning and right sized stability. So far it's worked great from ankle slappers to a little over head high (this is also about as big as I like to venture into) and from glass to victory at sea and I'm the only one out.  The board has been very durable, a few minor deck scratches, all done out of the water but nothing other than that so far.  I wouldn't be surprised to own another here soon.  A friend I surf with is about to get one also after an extended demo weekend.

jcmaros

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »
So I have the same board with the exact dimensions. I have taken it on two trips. Mexico and Hawaii.
In Mexico we were in La Saladita. A very mushy, soft wave. Longboarding mostly but perfect for SUP's although not appreciated. I am 6'2" 250lbs. This board is SO stable. I agree that you can never have a board to stable. The board performed flawlessly. I caught mushy waves with ease and was able to cut back or get it locked and loaded. It has a lot of speed and the extra length allowed me to get into waves a tad bit earlier. My other board is a 9' x 33" jammer.  The difference in the boards is significant.

So as I write this I am in kauai. We have had a mixed bag of waves from 3-4 ft to 10-14 ft. I am comfortable up to about 8 ft over here. The waves in hanalei are much steeper and come out of deep water to steep shelves and have much more power. Very pitchy and take some adjusting. Last year I brought the Jammer and had a lot of fun but nearly as much fun as I am having now with my Hammer. The extra length gets me into the waves easier but the best part is I can manoeuvre the board amazingly. I often get asked if I am riding an inflatable because it actually looks like one. People can't believe how I am able to turn with such a wide ass end but if you have the size it's no problem.

I just wanted to give my 2 cents. Great job Wardog on designing such a great board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 05:37:05 AM »
Shape sounds and looks a lot like my Vec and my experience was similar. The Vec is 8-4 x 33 x 4.5. I struggled with the skatey feel at 1st but all it means is the board responds quicker than what you were used to...now that I'm use to it I love it. Now I need to start playing with fins.
One of these days I'll come out west for a road trip and demoing at Wardogs and surfing with the crew there is on the list....from the sounds of it we would look like and offensive line found some sups...:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
So I have the same board with the exact dimensions. I have taken it on two trips. Mexico and Hawaii.
In Mexico we were in La Saladita. A very mushy, soft wave. Longboarding mostly but perfect for SUP's although not appreciated. I am 6'2" 250lbs. This board is SO stable. I agree that you can never have a board to stable. The board performed flawlessly. I caught mushy waves with ease and was able to cut back or get it locked and loaded. It has a lot of speed and the extra length allowed me to get into waves a tad bit earlier. My other board is a 9' x 33" jammer.  The difference in the boards is significant.

So as I write this I am in kauai. We have had a mixed bag of waves from 3-4 ft to 10-14 ft. I am comfortable up to about 8 ft over here. The waves in hanalei are much steeper and come out of deep water to steep shelves and have much more power. Very pitchy and take some adjusting. Last year I brought the Jammer and had a lot of fun but nearly as much fun as I am having now with my Hammer. The extra length gets me into the waves easier but the best part is I can manoeuvre the board amazingly. I often get asked if I am riding an inflatable because it actually looks like one. People can't believe how I am able to turn with such a wide ass end but if you have the size it's no problem.

I just wanted to give my 2 cents. Great job Wardog on designing such a great board.

Seems the big, fat, wide butt would really help to get into mushy, weaker waves too?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »
Aloha Jason...
Stoked to hear that your Hammer is working out to be a great travel board for you...

http://surfingsports.com/hammer.asp

"People can't believe how I am able to turn with such a wide ass end but if you have the size it's no problem. "

"Seems the big, fat, wide butt would really help to get into mushy, weaker waves too?"

We haven't found the downside to the "Chisel Tail" on the Hammer yet...keeps you on top of the water in weaker waves...maintains speed through cutbacks...and, also works in bigger, more powerful hollow waves...

There's a lot going on with the bottom contours and fins...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
wow nice shape>> Is the widest point back of center? and  what do you get out of the bevel on the tail? Extra looseness? I am very intrigued and interested .  what is the board next to the 9'5". what are the volumes of the boards?  What other sizes/ volumes do they come in?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal