Author Topic: **N00b question alert** How do you use a rudder on a standup board?  (Read 3849 times)

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
I know this is a real stupid question, but just by looking at the rudder in pictures, particularly the ASS on the F-16, I can't for the life of me figure out how you're supposed to use it.  Do you just step on it and turn your foot back and forth?  It seems like it'd be pretty challenging to have to steer with your foot while trying to paddle in open ocean swells.  When I become an experienced paddler, should it be very easy to learn to use it?  Lastly, does it require any extra maintenance?  Is the system damaged or broken easily?  How does it hold up over the course of years? 

If you've read my other posts, you know I'm a complete rookie to standup, but all the downwind/touring/distance stuff really intrigues me and I'm determined to eventually learn it and hopefully become decent at it.  I'm pretty much just trying to learn the ins and outs of this aspect of standup paddling, so excuse all the rookie questions!  Thanks a lot guys!

Byronmaui

Re: **N00b question alert** How do you use a rudder on a standup board?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:01:29 PM »
I use the inside of my left foot (Big toe) and just move my foot the way I want to steer. This info is not deemed reliable or guaranteed.

Aloha

Byron

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:05:37 PM »
I use the inside of my left foot (Big toe) and just move my foot the way I want to steer. This info is not deemed reliable or guaranteed.

Aloha

Byron

Hey Byron,
Thanks for the reply!  Do you find it uncomfortable at all to have your foot on it, or is it second nature already?

Byronmaui

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:11:55 PM »
I am very amateur and I mean that so take this with a grain of salt. It feels second nature to me. For the record I have done only a few downwind runs but alot of flatwater no wind assisted. I plan on doing more downwind and will let you know if style changes. Actually I suck so my opinion is only valid in my mind. ;D

Aloha

Byron
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:13:47 PM by Byronmaui »

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:13:39 PM »
Thanks!  I'm hoping to get on a serious downwind board sometime next year, so in the mean time, I'm just gathering up as much info as possible.

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »
I've been using the rudder a lot on the F-15 custom and really like it.  I kinda tap it a bit here and there to make small adjustments in direction without altering my balance and stroke too much.  I end up holding it in place with the outside or inside of my foot in strong side winds so I can paddle on both sides.  The setup I have is for a regular foot rider and I'm goofy foot so I am using it backward. 

Mark explains it better in an interview I did with him recently.  http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/2008/09/21/mark-raaphorst-interview-f-14-f-16-and-new-sup-race-boards/

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »
Thanks for your input!  That definitely helps answer my question.  That was a great interview by the way.  I actually listened to it a couple times yesterday and found it extremely informative.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal