Author Topic: Which iSUP would you recommend – Red Paddle Surf Star vs. RRD Air Wave  (Read 12861 times)

firstglide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm looking for a good (and really stiff) inflatable wave board which should be suitable for some (fun) flat water paddling too.

My two favorites are:

Red Paddle Co Surf Star 9'2''
Volume: 160 l
Size: 9'2'' x 30'' x 4''
Weight: ~27 lbs.
Fin: 3 x glued fins
UK Brand
http://www.redpaddleco.com/2012/10/nine-two-surf-star/

I already tested the Red Paddle Surf Star 9'2'' which performed very well: The board comes with there patented Rocker Stiffening System (RSS) – the use stiffening battens along the rails – and you can inflate it up to 25psi+ which makes the board really stiff – close to an EPS. Unfortunately, the fins are glued to the board, so it's not possible to change the center fin e.g. for a bigger one (flat water paddling). Therefore the board turns quite fast and you have to switch sides after two strokes.

RRD Air Wave 8'6'' / 9'0'' *Brand new*
Volume: 130 l / 140 l
Size: 8'6'' x 31'' x 4'' / 9'0'' x 31 1⁄2'' x 4''
Weight: ~22 / ~23 lbs.
Fin:2 x glued side fins +1 single fin US box
Italien Brand
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/shop/air-wave/)

The RRD Air Wave is brand new and there is not much information on the internet yet. On there website it says: there new boards "are the only fabrics that have been tested to be able to withstand up to 3 bar [~44 psi] inflation pressure". What i really like about the board is that it comes with a US box center fin – so you can use different fins for different conditions (e.g. flat water paddling). The RRD is also equipped with a mast plug but I don't need that.

I really like the shape of the Red Paddle Surf Star (narrow pintail, curvy plan shape and plenty of nose rocker) and I suppose, in the surf, it would perform better than the RRD Air Wave.

Btw, I'm 158 lbs. and a semi-experienced surfer and just started with SUP surfing.

I hope you guys can help me out ;-)

Regards,
firstglide
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:48:34 PM by firstglide »
-- The OCEAN is where I belong --

2013 Red Paddle Co 9'2'' Surf Star
2013 Red Paddle Co 12'6" Race

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey Firstglide,

I just posted a review of the Red 9'2", so obviously I'm biased toward that choice.  Same weight as you, I can get a good 5 strokes per side on the Red, 8-10 if I don't care about a little zigzagging...  Maybe you were standing too far back on the board?

The RRD looks nice, but I can't imagine 8'6"x31" is going to track any better, no matter what fin you try...  The 44psi thing seems a bit of marketing spin... the theoretical failure point...  they are not recommending that for daily use and it would be tough finding a SUP pump on the market that would get you there  :).

Good luck, either way you'll be stoked w/ your purchase.  If you go w/ the RRD, be sure to post a review!..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:01:29 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

firstglide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I ordered the Red 9'2'' and I'm looking forward to get it into surf ;-)

Thank you both for your replies! – especially your answers to the question "do i really need a removable center fin" and about the stiffness factor helped me to make a decision.

I will also try to stand further forward as you guys recommended.

@spookini: I read your review the other day and it supported my decision to buy the Red - thx for your detailed review btw

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey 1stglide,

Also was gonna say, if you're new to SUP paddling,  have you heard the tip of "stacking your wrists"?   Idea being that the paddle should be going thru the water vertically plumb (top wrist inline with bottom wrist), rather than 'sweeping' off to the side, like you'd hold a broom.   Makes a big difference in terms of getting a few more strokes per side on a smaller board.

Ok, I'm sure you could surf circles around me,  so that's my only pointer!
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
ULI has a new Gerry Lopez 9' that surfs insane and the wiki rail option makes them fly down the line and turn really well.  You really need to try one out to feel the difference. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Let us know how you get on with the 9'2" Red Paddle. Curious to hear your impressions after our recommendations.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

firstglide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
thx for the hint spookini, I'll give it a try ;-)

Unfortunately, I do live in Europe and there are not much ULIs around – but as I do travel a lot maybe I can try one soon!

I'll keep you up-to-date guys and thx again for your advices ;-)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal