Author Topic: PSH 10'6" All Rounder - Review + Video  (Read 6610 times)

Casso

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
PSH 10'6" All Rounder - Review + Video
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:23:09 PM »
A few days ago I took a near new (two surfs old) PSH 10’6” All Rounder for a few waves to see how it went.  It was a demo board from Andrew at Balmoral Boards.

One word: Versatile.

The board is: 10’6” x 28 3/8” x 4 5/8”.

I’m 86 kilos and ride an 11’ Oxbow SUP about 50% of the time. The other 50% of my surfs are on a 6’4” shortboard, a 5’10” fish or a 9’2” performance longboard.

The PSH 10’6” is a nice looking board, clean lines, a semi rounded nose and nice tapered rocker at the nose and tail.  If you’ve seen one of these boards in a photo, taken front on to the surfer, it looks impressive - same as when you pick it up from the nose and look at it down the stringer.  The boxy rails add volume to the sides which can be difficult for a lighter surfer to bury the rail during a carving turn but, on the flipside, it creates more stability and a nice flat deck for comfort and control.  This board was set up as a 2+1 with a nice timber centre fin with a little cutaway near the tip for that bit of extra flex.

I’ve ridden the PSH 10’ All Rounder recently and this board is very similar - just a bit more stable and a better paddler yet the 10’6” is almost as loose and manoeuvrable.  I thought the 10’ PSH was a great all rounder - the 10’6” is even better - one might say: a real quiver killer.

I went out at Collaroy (on Sydney’s Northern Beaches) with 2 to 3 foot of swell running and an increasing onshore breeze.  They were quite fat little waves, fairly long rides and there was a bit of chop around to make things tricky.

Paddling out was a breeze - you feel comfortable on this board as soon as you jump on.  It’s stable and tracks surprisingly well for a mid-sized surfing SUP.  Pushing though a couple of broken waves was also easy - the semi pulled in nose allows the board to plough through the white water with little impact.

My first wave was a fat one on the take off.  In fact I wasn’t sure I would be able to get it or not.  I paddled hard, regardless, and hoped for the best.  The 10’6” PSH cruised well as I paddled shoreward and as soon as I got a little lift from the wave, the board began to pick up speed and got onto a plane - even though the wave hadn’t broken yet.  A great indication that this is an easy board to paddle in the surf.  I needed to put in a few extra stokes while I waited for the wave to form properly then, when the it finally broke, I could test out the 10’6”s surfing ability.  A little bottom turn and a few, gentle up and downs to pick up speed - nice and easy.  A little floater off the foam - again relatively easy.  Now, time for some power ... dig the paddle in and push hard while swinging the 10’6” around off the tail.  Wow, that went well.  The PSH stayed in control and maintained speed throughout the turn.  The thinner tail (than some other mid-length SUPs) allowed me to dig the rail down at the back third of the board and semi-carve this puppy around.  Now I’m heading left on my backhand and the wave is starting to close out.  I attempt to throw the 10’6” up into the white water for a pretty radical backhand re-entry.  I got stuck in the white water a bit and fell off on the landing.  I did manage, however, to get the board up and then around quite easily.  For 10’6”, this is an easy board to surf.

By my second wave, I’m already feeling comfortable on the PSH and try pushing it a bit more.  A few little bottom turn / heel-side cutback combinations from the take off.  Then as the wave steepens up a bit, I change hands with the paddle and gouge into a pretty heavy drop knee cutback around the planted paddle.  The board turned well and allowed me to stay in control through the manoeuvre - none of those weird wobbles you sometimes get doing a drop knee cutback.  I complete the cutback and change hands with the paddle again as the wave starts to wall up and close out.  I decide to whack the close out section for a big forehand re-entry.  A drivey bottom turn, up to the lip then hit the foam and swing the PSH 10’6” around as fast as possible.  Ooooh, nearly made it - only my lack of ability to hinder the manoeuvre’s success (nothing to do with the board).

The PSH 10’6” All Rounder feels quite light to carry - to guess, I’d say about 10 kilos.  Construction and workmanship seemed to be of typical PSH’s very high standard.

This board is extremely versatile for all facets of our sport - it’s great to paddle, it’s very stable and it’s easy to surf - both semi-performance style and cruisey longboard style.  It would be great for the beginner and also for the intermediate to advanced rider.  If you could only have one SUP - this would be a very good board to have a close look at.

Highs:
- Good planning speed.
- Great all rounder.
- Easy to paddle.
- Easy to surf.
- High quality construction.

Lows:
- A bit more expensive than some.
- No handle hole.
- Hard to come by in Australia.

Here's some video of a few of my waves on the PSH 10'6":

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PSH 10'6" All Rounder - Review + Video
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
Nice review and video. This is my favorite board out of 9 that I've owned and several others that I've demoed. The boxy rails are great for stability but it tapers out to really thin rails towards the tail and a very thin tail compared to most SUBs. To me this is a great way to make a board stable but turn easily.

chingbaby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »
Awesome!  Are you going to add this to the review section as well?

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »
Here is my short review of the  PSH 10-6 and a 10-3  Snadwich Epoxy.

Here are the two PSH sandwich epoxy SUP's by Blane Chambers. The yellow is the 10'-3'' and red is the 10'-6''. Both are the All-rounder series. Dimensions, 10'-3" x 28-3/8"x 4-5/8" and
10'-6"x 28-3/8"x 4-5/8" Diamond tails .. The width and thickness are the same but they are two different boards.
The 10'3'' is a maneuverable, loose board. The rails are foiled out and thin in the nose and tail areas. The rails are a bit smaller ( thickness) mid point due to the domed deck. Flat bottom from rail to rail . The hard edges thru the length of the board from tail to nose on the bottom give the boards its responsiveness for rail to rail action. The rocker is all on the bottom w/ a flat deck. Both boards have 2+ 1 fin set up. FCS GL's side bites and a 8'' flex fin. I have the fin in the middle of the box . Seems loose and responsive. The board is stable and worked great in the larger TS/ Hurricane surf we had last week. The speeds generated on this board was unbelievable and has elevated the Stand Up performance. Was a bit wobbly the first time but now its an easy board to paddle and is stable.. Go to board for the surf..Weight of board 21#'s
The 10'-6'' Red, is 3 inches longer but totally different. It's a very stable board. The rails are fuller and seem thicker due too less dome on the deck. The bottom edges are a bit softer in the nose area. The nose is not as foiled so there is some thickness on the nose. The board's nose is a bit sharper than the 10-3's rounded nose. Again all the board's rocker is on the bottom w/ a flat deck. A little nose kick ever so slight. Flat bottom side to side. Very stable and more buoyant then the smaller board. It surfs great in our waves. I only had the board in waist high waves but its loose and maneuverable too. Same fins and same 2+1 set up. Have to play w/ the fins to get more action from board. I have paddled this board 7 miles in flat water and was great to paddle, had glide and floated great no side to side tracking and paddled pretty straight . The boards weight is at and 23#'s . Great board for the long paddles to the offshore bars to surf.. Very stable in the surf and in choppy conditions..
   .....I'm 5-10'' and 188 lbs.. Both boards are great. I like the 10-3 in the surf and the 10-6 in the surf as well as well as flat water cruising.. Outstanding boards for me..The boards sandwich epoxy construction are tough, durable and paddle resistant. No visible nicks or chunks ove several weeks of use.. 
 I hope these pics help.

Tail view of rails, 10-3 Thinned out a bit more than 10-6

Nose on the 10-6 more thicker than the 10-3, 10-3 rail  has hard edge thru the full length of the board.

The rails  in the 10-3 a bit thinner  than the boxier/full rails of the10-6

8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Casso

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »
Nice review and video.
Thanks Tony.

The boxy rails are great for stability but it tapers out to really thin rails towards the tail and a very thin tail compared to most SUBs. To me this is a great way to make a board stable but turn easily.
So true.  My thoughts precisely.

Casso

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »
Awesome!  Are you going to add this to the review section as well?

Thanks Chingbaby.  I've only just noticed the Zone's Product Reviews section  ::).  I might try and add some of my reviews in there.

Casso

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »
Great comparison to the PSH 10'3", Gjbsup.  I'd love to try that out too ... and the 9'6" ... and the 9'3".  There's not too many in Australia though, yet.

chingbaby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
I've been debating getting one of the two to gain some glide in flat water (my current Mike Casey is only 4" thick with a good amount of rocker).  How do you think the 10'3" would be for a guy who weighs 145 on flat water?  I want to keep more surfability, so think the 10'6" might be a bit tight for me on the waves.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
I've been debating getting one of the two to gain some glide in flat water (my current Mike Casey is only 4" thick with a good amount of rocker).  How do you think the 10'3" would be for a guy who weighs 145 on flat water?  I want to keep more surfability, so think the 10'6" might be a bit tight for me on the waves.

I do not think the 10'3 would be problem for you.  I had a friend out on the 10'3 while I was on the 10'6.  He's @165lbs and did not have a problem keeping up.  It still has good speed in the flat water, that's why is has been so popular up in the NJ area.  Guys like it for flat water but can also run across the street and rip in the surf.

chingbaby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal