Author Topic: Sweetwater SUP Challenge - June 15th Benton, MI  (Read 4359 times)

Newbomb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sweetwater SUP Challenge - June 15th Benton, MI
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »
We'll have a contingent of Cleveland area paddlers at the Sweetwater SUP  race on the 15th in Benton Harbor, MI. We'll be camping at Dune Lake. Who else is going?
Salt-less SUPer from the Great Lakes

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sweetwater SUP Challenge - June 15th Benton, MI
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
I'll be there!  This race will be really fun because it will be well-attended by paddlers from all around the Great Lakes region -- and we may get some sandbaggers too!  This will be a big early season race,as far as the number of regionally competitive guys there.

I'll be on this board:

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sweetwater SUP Challenge - June 15th Benton, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
I'm jinxed with this race! Last year, forgot the 1hr time change and was running across 100 yards of sand, twice, once with board in hand and sweating like mad before the race started. But, I made the start in time.

Not this year!

Left Chicagoland a bit later than planned, but was still going to be on time. Had to stop for gas, should have filled the night before, then HAD to stop at Skyway McDs for restroom. While there, grabbed something to eat and realized it's the slowest McDs I've ever been to! Huge mistake.

Then, arrive in Benton Harbor, to a drawbridge lifted to let a HUGE, slow tanker move through! There were about 6 other cars with SUPs wondering what to do. No worries, iPhone/map to the rescue and I'm uturning to find my way. Was almost there when I missed a turn, grrr....

Arrive at park, ticket taker is clearly on meds and moving slow.

It's a long hike from parking to the beach and the registration tent is in between. Long story short, everything conspired against me and I'm dragging two SUP's across miles of sand, as everyone else is standing on the water ready to roll.

My daughter leaps to her board and is in the water in time for start, whew. I'm still futzing with my fin and they're off! I'm still on the sand. Toss board in water, knee deep. Paddle a few feet and catch my fin on a sand bar, damn near nosed dived.

Finally got to paddling at least 2 minutes after everyone else and had a good race, my first 6 miler. I did catch and pass a lot of SUP's, including several in my class AND a 14' racer.

After the first turn, I see another large group of SUPers ready to start the next race. At which time I realize my 14yr old daughter had started in the Elite/6 miler gaggle! Now I had to find a way to tell her the mistake.

On my 3rd lap of 4, I managed to catch up to her (hee hee) and told her what happened. She had two choice now, finish her 2nd lap and let the organizers know to deduct the start time from her time. Or, continue 2 more laps and complete the 6 miler. She wisely chose the 1st option.

Have no idea what place I ended up with, haven't seen results yet.

Westy from YOLO won the event in my class. Dang, that's just not fair! Whine, whine. Us average Joes can't compete against industry insiders. Oh well, it'll be a challenge.

Besides my late start, it was a great event.

Next year, we're coming up the night before!
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal