Author Topic: Loving this sport!  (Read 3772 times)

SUPderek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Loving this sport!
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
Wow, who who would have thought...  I am so sore.  My arms ache, my mind is a buzz.  I started stand-up two months ago and have only missed two, maybe three days.  Started on 9'6" JP Wave Pro and quickly progressed to the smaller 8'2" Wide Body Pro.  Perfect boards for me to learn and progress on.  Struggled at first in the chop but once I gave the sport the respect it deserves (by going back to the flat water and learning how to paddle) I quickly progressed to the smaller board.  AND WOW, rode the 8'2" in flat water at first (didn't want to make the same mistake twice...).  A few days later I took the 8'2" into the waves and felt the seemingly unstabilty of this smaller board, but like I have been reading, every board needs a chance to get used to.  And get used to it I did!  Paddled into some fun waves and turned, turned, turned.  The JP Wide Body Rips!  Now as a kiteboarder looking for a light or no wind activity.  I actually don't care if it doesn't blow.  I will be selling the 9'6" as I purchased the 12'6" Sportster. I paddled if for over an hour and a half today and my arms feel like they are going to fall off. Again thinking be smart and ease into the race board thing...  Well, I think I have been making the right choices with some great advice.  Taking things slow, buying the right boards and progressing in the sport. Probably going to start looking for a 10' nose-rider type longboard next.   I am in Heaven!  ;D

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Loving this sport!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
Hahaha, nice one Derek, I'm nearly as addicted as you after a month and a half, still only the one board though.  There is a lot to be said for being able to have fun regardless of the conditions.  SUP and SUS is awesome, it took me a ruptured ACL and no prone surfing for 6 months to find it.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
You guys sound like junkies......

Welcome to the addicition zone.  ;D

Or should it be SUPaholics anonymous? ;)
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
I never get tired of hearing the stoke guys;D

Derek... great choice of boards... you jumped right in! Started small and went smaller...not easy to do... you must have mad skillz.
Keep us up to date on the 8'2 Wide body Pro... if you can get pics or vids of it in action, I am sure there are lots of folks who will be very interested.

And I would be interested in your search for a good longboard SUP... I have been considering Dave Daum's King's SS model 10'6 x 31... or maybe the 10' x 30"... but I like to stay wider than 30" for fun on small days.

SUP is definitely a sport for all conditions... and all of it is great!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Wow . . . . My arms ache, my mind is a buzz.  I started stand-up two months ago and have only missed two, maybe three days.  . . .   I actually don't care if it doesn't blow.  I will be selling the 9'6" as I purchased the 12'6" Sportster. . . .  Well, I think I have been making the right choices with some great advice.  Taking things slow. . . . buying the right boards and progressing in the sport. . . .

I love the irony in all of this.  Nothing slow about it!!!!   ::)

SUPderek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
totally supthecreek   "And I would be interested in your search for a good longboard SUP... I have been considering Dave Daum's King's SS model 10'6 x 31... or maybe the 10' x 30"... but I like to stay wider than 30" for fun on small days."

I have got to try some of these, at least boards in this size range.

and to BIGBEAR  yes, I feel totally screwed!!

SUPderek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »
I guess it is time to dust off the GoPro and post some shots.  The 8'2" X 32 is so sweet!

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »
Paddled lake yesterday with the hound and did a river run today. Love this sport! It's a drug!!

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »
I went out on the harbour on the weekend with my 2 dogs, the lab swam beside me the whole way, and the springer spaniel sat up front on the board like he was born doing it...so weird hwo they just kinda do it naturally.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
I went out on the harbour on the weekend with my 2 dogs, the lab swam beside me the whole way, and the springer spaniel sat up front on the board like he was born doing it...so weird hwo they just kinda do it naturally.

I have a springer also (1.5 years old) and it was his first time on a board. Took a min to get him to get on, but once on he just sat down and watched my paddle move through water. He normally is like a bumble bee on a string.

SUPderek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »
I've probably missed three days in the last two months...

Here is a pic of the 8'2"X32" Wave Wide Body I rode for two hours today.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 06:39:06 AM »
Sick board!

leroy13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
Any sport that gets you back on the water is incredible!! ;D ;D I love Sup Surfing but flatwater exploring is amazing especially from a fitness aspect if you are in correct stance and using good paddling technique ( not race technique!!! ;D ;)).  I've yet to try Downwinding but I'm really hoping to do that and Windsurfing the "Allwave with a guru we have here called DJ.  ;D ;D.  It's a sport that keeps giving because there are so many aspects to explore!!!!. :) :) ;)

SUPderek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »
June Lake, CA

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal