Author Topic: Fin advice for Surtech JM Lahui Kai 14  (Read 3794 times)

steepcreek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fin advice for Surtech JM Lahui Kai 14
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
I'm fairly new to SUP and recently got a good deal on a Lahui Kai 14' board.  I've been paddling it in mostly calm water and light chop on the tidal Potomac near DC with good results.  Took it down to the Chesapeake Bay in 1-2 waves, cross currents etc. and had some issues staying on it.

From what I've managed to infer from reading this forum, a different fin style might help with stability.  It seems like Larry Allison's fins have a bunch of fans here, would something like the Gladiator or other model be a noticeable difference from the stock fin?  I'm not really into racing, yet at least, but do like to go fast.  I'm 5'8" 160lbs if that makes a difference.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
Re: Fin advice for Surtech JM Lahui Kai 14
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
Gladiator Hybrid would work but the Bat fin would give you a faster glide in moderate to white cap conditions with a Ninja for calm to glassy conditions.

Allison Race Fins

steepcreek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:32:55 AM »
Thanks for the input.  Think I'll give the bat fin a try.  Only problem is none of the colors match my hideously pink board :)

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:04:27 AM »
Thanks for the input.  Think I'll give the bat fin a try.  Only problem is none of the colors match my hideously pink board :)

I think this look in the Bat shape would work for you my friend.
Allison Race Fins

ZooSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:03:08 AM »
How can I get my hands on a Bat fin!? Been looking for one for a while, but no such luck around here...

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »
How can I get my hands on a Bat fin!? Been looking for one for a while, but no such luck around here...

Call me at the factory 310-530-1383 my friend. Mahalo
Allison Race Fins

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
Larry - have you ever considered a smaller (plan) Batfin?  Or would that just be redundent with the smaller Gladiators - hybrid/race ?  I've had a Batfin now for 2 years, and although I keep trying others (grass always being greener etc  ;)) it always seems to end up back on my 12-6 SB Freerace.  The Freerace is an older design, and not especially a flatwater speedster, it needs all the help it can get - so I was thinking a tiny batfin.  (the Board does not need help tracking.)

Sorry for the hijack/segue

D.S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »
Larry - have you ever considered a smaller (plan) Batfin?  Or would that just be redundent with the smaller Gladiators - hybrid/race ?  I've had a Batfin now for 2 years, and although I keep trying others (grass always being greener etc  ;)) it always seems to end up back on my 12-6 SB Freerace.  The Freerace is an older design, and not especially a flatwater speedster, it needs all the help it can get - so I was thinking a tiny batfin.  (the Board does not need help tracking.)

Sorry for the hijack/segue

D.S.

For the Starboard Free Racer the Ninja would be the pick to speed up the board over the Bat. A small Bat would be not enough fin for that board and the Ninja will still have the tracking but increase of speed because the flex properties of the Ninja which makes the fin act like a 8" dolphin fin feel but the hold of a larger fin like the Bat.
Allison Race Fins

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 07:10:03 AM »
Thanks Larry. 

One thing that I am able to do with the Freerace is to weight the paddling side rails - a lot - to lift the opposite rails and bottom out of the water to reduce the wetted surface - decreasing drag. The board is 31" wide so it needs all the help it can.  Seeing as how (as far as I understand it)it's the base length of the fin that determines most of the tracking effectiveness, is the Ninja still the best way to go?  I don't think much of the fin is out of the water, if any.  Just wondering.

David S.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »
Thanks Larry. 

One thing that I am able to do with the Freerace is to weight the paddling side rails - a lot - to lift the opposite rails and bottom out of the water to reduce the wetted surface - decreasing drag. The board is 31" wide so it needs all the help it can.  Seeing as how (as far as I understand it)it's the base length of the fin that determines most of the tracking effectiveness, is the Ninja still the best way to go?  I don't think much of the fin is out of the water, if any.  Just wondering.

David S.

The Base is part of the tracking situation, but the sweep of the fin as more to with the tracking. The beauty of the Ninja is it holds like a deep fin but has the feel to your feet and board like a smaller fin. Judging by your comments yes the Ninja would the fin of choice my friend. Mahalo
Allison Race Fins

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 01:01:33 PM »
Thanks again Larry.   BTW, I just got the Aercor fin from Jeremy (for my Glide 14). Nice.   Of course the wind died off as soon as I got it....sigh.  Nevertheless, I've paddled it lots the last week in flat water, just to get a feel for it.  Seems faster, and 1 paddle sweep off of the nose changes the boards direction just like advertised  ;D

Thanks to lots of Zoners for this one -  Jeremy, Larry, and DJ for the positve reviews and vids.   I cannot wait for some wind.....arrggghhh.   :'( ;D

(maybe I should try it on the Freerace too....)

DS

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
Steepcreek, A sneak peak at one of my new inlay designs in the Bat for your board my friend. Mahalo, Larry
Allison Race Fins

steepcreek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 07:33:38 AM »
Wow!  It's a work of art.  Can't wait to try it out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal