Author Topic: Wanted: more races on Cape Cod  (Read 2796 times)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Wanted: more races on Cape Cod
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
here on Cape Cod we have have 2 annual official races; SUPathon & Paddle for the Bays. I am grateful for these and for the folks who bust their ass to put them on. But, having just 2 races in an entire season is pathetic IMHO. It's frustrating to live surrounded by water and still have to travel 2-6+ hours and pay for places to stay overnight!!!

What can we do to get more local race action here on the Cape???

I know putting on official races are a ton of work. I also know the $ goes to great causes.  But how about a bunch of folks getting together and just racing. Forget the bs. Personally, i dont care about awards, t shirts, swag, food, beer etc.  I just want to compete! If i EVER win a race just give me a high five and im good. Maybe i am in the minority…

Maybe our Thursday night "get-togethers", which i really enjoy already, can turn into something more…

On another thread I read that somewhere in FLA there are a handful of races to choose from every weekend!  That blew me away! Other SUP communities seem to be doing a ton more than here. Again, I am super thankful for folks like Stoney, Cyclops, Weed etc. who are making progress here, but I want more!

Is it the weather? the average age of 76? town rules & regs? lack of interest? lack of support from SUP shops? too many egos involved? I dont know...

Why can't we have a Spring and Fall race series, at least 4-6 weekend races, and a training club, etc.???

Maybe I should be asking what can I do?
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: more races on Cape Cod
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
The issue I find around here (I'm in southeastern mass) is that the few really fun and well organized races/events end up being on the same day as another event... for instance the Newport SUP cup this year falls on same as the CCBC (August 17).

I just saw that the Annual Waterman Eco Challenge at Narragansett Town Beach is on Saturday, July 13th and that's a great event like a BOP style race just like next weekends SUPathon in Wellfleet.

Also the Challenge on the Charles is July 20th, so there are some great races around just not sure what your preference is or if your looking for Cape Cod specifically

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:46:35 PM by PDLSFR »
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »
 I'm looking for more grass roots or shop sponsored events on Cape Cod. More specifically 5-20 mile traditional races.

PDLSFR ~ thanks for heads up on the Eco Challenge.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
We've always been behind the curve. I'm just thankful that there are so many in New England now. I haven't been very active on the race scene this year but I think there are plenty of choices if you are willing to travel a bit. When you say somewhere in Fla what does that mean...within 50 miles or in one small area? If within 50 miles we have the same once our weather is more like Fla's.... ;D

I am surprised that there hasn't been any more on the Cape though. With such a diversity of waterways and the number of folks/shops that would benefit from it does seem like there should be more happening. Particularly when the population swells in the summer. That's a big part of what you see as limited #'s I think. In Fla it's pretty much year round. It's a much smaller crew here in the winter. Maintaining continuity is tougher.

You've got the Mocean one design starting up, the one at Old Silver could grow with help, others too. Things are happening, just a little slowly. A paddle club needs critical mass...again...apart from summer we aren't there yet. How many people do you know within 20 mins drive that SUP that would meet up regularly year round?

It was a bummer the dates ended up the same for CCBC and the SUP cup.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:37:39 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:02:15 PM »
Free, I agree.  I was looking at the calendar today and realized that aside from the Supathon in June 8th, there are no other races in the area until July.  The waterman's Eco challenge is a really fun race.  Last year there was some fun swell which made the start and finish very fun. GMac was there too since the main sponsor, RAW Elements, also sponsors him. Last year there were probably around 25 paddlers, great turnout.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 02:33:31 PM »
All good points. I would just like to see the June 9th to September 20th Cape Cod "RACE Calendar" filled in more. Till I get my own race series going, called the High Fiver cuz all the winner gets is a high five, I will quit my complaining and happily drive to wherever this sport takes me  :)

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
This will be our third year for the Paddle for the Bays Race, Cape Cod. Amy Hotchkiss started this race to help raise money for the Three Bays Preservation www.3bays.org a non profit environmental organization that monitors the water quality of the 3 bays and numerous other projects in the Osterville, Cotuit area. Myself, CYCLOPS and his brother Scott were asked to come aboard to help out due to the fact that the race is growing. The logistics of organizing such an event is overwhelming especially in the Town of Barnstable. Permits, permits, permits, it's getting to the point that we may need a permit to get a permit. The 3bays executive members deal with that stuff thank God.

Our job is to get sponsors which I don't have a clue how to do and hit local business and beg for donations or items such as art work, service, sporting events, gift certificates, etc. that will be auctioned off at the silent auction. All money raised will go to the 3bays. We have been going around to local board shops to see if they might want to donate something or get involved nothing positive as of yet.

I think the problem of having a large race on Cape Cod during the summer months is the high volume of tourist and parking at the beaches. Spring and Fall are the best bet.

I guess this would be a good opportunity to ask/beg any Sup board/paddle manufacture rep if they would like to become a sponsor or donate something for the silent auction or any artist, photographer, business owner, etc. If anyone is interested in sponsorship or donation you can contact Amy Hotchkiss at 508-331-0798

Race Date: Saturday, September 21, 2013    A WPA sanctioned series race

www.3bays.org

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 06:54:03 AM »
Freetobeme:

Build it!

Add racing to the weekly get together's... bring a couple small orange balls with clump/anchor and make a triangle (upwind/sidewind/downwind) and run some laps for best time while not ostracizing those who just want to paddle around casually. Or, make a course along the shore on the inside, forcing folks to deal with incoming waves (ie: surf rights all the way up to turning point, lefts all the way back...or just put head down and paddle through it)...get creative each week... Make it a series with cheesy awards at end of each week and a grand prize (super cheesy) at end of season for max total points...losers buy the winners beer, etc...

As stated, there are already races throughout the NE region. Rather than reduce the developing participants, add to them; build your local beer-league or club and travel together for the weekend races. Talk to your pals from other areas (North Shore, South Shore, lower-cape, upper-cape, RI, NH, etc...)  and suggest they do same.... Then everybody creates regional "rivalries" and competes against each other in a number of different ways... Those weeknight informal events sometimes turn into serious fun...often without the sponsorship/permitting/parking headaches...

As Weed said, putting together weekend races sounds great at first, but then come the logistics, permitting, parking, sponsorships, etc.... taking all the limited time that is better spent paddling with local pals. Seems better to leverage the races already maturing and focus on local weeknight gatherings....As a family man, weekends are very tough on anybody with active children... I would welcome a weeknight after supper paddle race/train/play over another weekend event that I'll likely never make because I'm too busy with family...

Enjoy...

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
Freetobeme, you could organize something like the Saturday Afternoon Race Series that Rafael from Soposup just started in Portland, ME:
http://www.soposup.com/news/saturday-afternoon-race-series

It doesn't require big sponsors, lots of planning, or even buoys! Just a course based on the local geography, and a commitment by one or two people to show up each week. I enjoy racing just as an excuse to get out and paddle with other people and push myself harder than I would on my own, so this kind of event is perfect for me. Even with only 5 or 6 people in the first race a couple weeks ago, it was a great time, and I'm excited to have a recurring event like that to drop into any Saturday for the rest of the summer.

With all the Zoners down on the cape, you could probably organize something informal like this, whether it's a standing course or a different one each week, or just a plan to get together with whomever's available each weekend and pick a destination to race to on the spot based on conditions.

Luke

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM