Author Topic: Enlisting Laird Hamilton's help.  (Read 5459 times)

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Enlisting Laird Hamilton's help.
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »
In hopes that Laird hears/reads about this,being as he is the one that popularized stand up paddling/surfing, and that he is such a recognizable athlete,I wish he would do something to help spread the spirit of Aloha when surfing.He could do televised spots,showcasing his abilities as an all around waterman,and speak of the Duke's message of Aloha,fostering a spirit of sharing the waves,no matter what craft is used.Maybe too optimistic for the current generation,but well worth it for the children growing up in the ocean sports.I am dismayed at the reports of what is going on on the mainland between stand up and lay down surfers. It feels like racism all over again.  He could educate,like we do for our children.I know I am naive,but,Hope is my middle name.I don't see him around these parts anymore,or I would ask him directly.What are your thought on this?Worth a shot?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:51:47 PM by paidmydues »
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Enlisting Laird Hamilton's help.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
He talks about it all the time. The trouble is, he's speaking to "us". No kid of old proner cares about Laird. They think he's irrelevant. (See the recent comments on his quotes about skis at chopes.)

I respect and love Laird but until the current tour pros adopt this campaign (good luck), nothing will change. Laird speaks to smarter, older and more mainstream people. (Look at his sponsor list if you are wondering about that, it skews more Cartier than Lost/Volcom.)

Gerry Lopez rides an SUP and still people don't think it's acceptable!?!?!??!

I think JOB and Kala Alexander have done more to ease this up that most anyone else. They rip Pipe and also SUS. More of this will win more hearts and minds than someone who's the age of most shortboarder's Dads. (I say this as a guy that age too.)

I tend to see it like most on this board. Who cares? People have always griped about Longboards and bodyboards and waveskis and.. and.. and... In the end, it's no big deal. I surf SoCal all the time and choose my spots and gear accordingly.

I don't think Laird is looking to speak to a bunch of punks, nor would they listen. If you're worried, make friends. Nothing like being bigger, older and better insured/lawyered to secure your spot in the lineup. Oh, and not to mention being a damn good surfer.

If you truly wanna reach Laird and or Gabby, hit their Facebook page or just show up in Hanalei/Malibu. He's out all Winter/Summer and loves to surf with folks.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »
I feel like SUS has brought people together. Mostly longboaders and shortboaders now have someone else to hate instead of each other.  What I don’t get is there are only a hand full of SUS boarder in Newport and HB.  Yet there are a ton of longboarders and shortboaders in the water. 

I know what really irks them the most.  They see us catching waves and hate.  We can move around from peek to peek up and down the beach, they can’t.  We can go way outside and catch waves that aren’t even breaking yet, they can’t.  We can paddle up current and hold position without losing all our arm strength, they can’t.  We can go paddle out on a flat day, catch waves (ripples) and have fun, they can’t.  Look I know, I see these guys looking at me and I can let they are thinking, “Fuck man that guy is catching waves all over the place and I am stuck here bobbing around like a frickin’ buoy”.  The reason I know is because I was that guy.  I didn’t necessarily hate them but I would make fun of them on their aircraft carriers.  I remember surfing one time with my neighbor who SUS’s at 36th St. in Newport.  He was catching waves all over the place and I could barely catch a wave due to high tide conditions.  It really opened my eyes to what an advantage SUS can be. 

It’s really is not so much about hate as it is jealously.  In a way I feel sorry for them.  They can’t get past their egos and go from “expert” to “kook” in order to learn how to SUS.  Most of them have talked so much crap about SUS they are stuck “hating it”.  They can’t even try it because they would lose all respect with their surfing buddies.  I’ve just kinda accepted the hate and figure it goes with the territory.  Because if they did find out how much fun SUS is, I would be stuck fighting for waves with other SUSers.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »
I hear the spirit of what you are saying paidmydues, but I don't get it when you say "I wish he would do something to spread the spirit of Aloha when surfing."  It doesn't sound like you have any reason to believe he doesn't.  Maybe he does just that one thing each and every time he goes out.  I don't need anything further from him.  There's no obligation to be an activist.  I think simply modeling the appropriate behavior is totally enough.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
Laird does more to spread love for SUS than anyone else on the planet.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
I've just realized that he has a chemist shop just near where I live.. I'll pop in and ask him for you..  ;D

DJ

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:08:01 PM »

I know what really irks them the most.  They see us catching waves and hate.  We can move around from peek to peek up and down the beach, they can’t.  We can go way outside and catch waves that aren’t even breaking yet, they can’t.  We can paddle up current and hold position without losing all our arm strength, they can’t.  We can go paddle out on a flat day, catch waves (ripples) and have fun, they can’t.  Look I know, I see these guys looking at me and I can let they are thinking, “Fuck man that guy is catching waves all over the place and I am stuck here bobbing around like a frickin’ buoy”.  The reason I know is because I was that guy.  I didn’t necessarily hate them but I would make fun of them on their aircraft carriers.  I remember surfing one time with my neighbor who SUS’s at 36th St. in Newport.  He was catching waves all over the place and I could barely catch a wave due to high tide conditions.  It really opened my eyes to what an advantage SUS can be. 

My co-worker lives in CM and SUSs Newps about once a week. Look for him on a rasta themed Infinity. =)
Taller than most, shorter than others.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
Addressing the "aloha" angle on Laird. You will never have more fun and feel more included than when he is in the lineup.

However, he will be on every wave he wants to. lol The good news is, he's so badass he just surfs around you and out of your way. It's crazy to see.

Speaking to the surfers watching us, I agree. It's got to be hard. I surfed this weekend moving from peak to peak as the swell shifted and caught a ton of waves. (I also let a ton roll by.) When I switch to my longboard I catch 1/10 of the waves I do on a standup board and wear my arms out doing that.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
Addressing the "aloha" angle on Laird. You will never have more fun and feel more included than when he is in the lineup.

However, he will be on every wave he wants to. lol The good news is, he's so badass he just surfs around you and out of your way. It's crazy to see.

True - had it happen to me in Kauai twice.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
One thing you need to remember about Laird is that he did indeed start SUPing and tow in, but he did it so that he and his buddies could have fun. He did not initially promote the sports nor did he start the sports to make money. He gets a lot of undeserved blame. Can he help it if what he 'invented' is a lot of fun and something others have copied. And when he's in the line up, the photogs all show up.

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
Thanks for your opinions gang.I did indeed reach Laird's spokesperson who assured me that Laird does a lot to spread the message of aloha,although like Surfcowboy pointed out",he's probably not interested in speaking to a bunch of punks,nor would they listen".The reality is all the talk in the world  can evaporate  when the waves are pumping and the testosterone pumping :'(....
On a brighter note,forecast is more south swell next week,and trades for downwinders ;D
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 05:10:01 PM »
We get along pretty well on Maui, even in spots that were previously kind oF kapu for sup, like hookipa. It's mostly just specific people that are such wankers and nothing will change their mind, it's a religious thing, encouraged by the magazines. The open minded people flipped like switches. I went surfing with an old friend and he watched me-- a far less experienced surfer than him --catch five times as many waves and surf them better. There's nothing like wave count to raise your game. He said " ok, I get it." And bought a board and paddle that afternoon. It's the rational response. People who think the proper response to a new version of their sport is to scream at people and act like assholes wont be convinced by a little love. Aloha is wasted on them
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
People who think the proper response to a new version of their sport is to scream at people and act like assholes wont be convinced by a little love. Aloha is wasted on them

Very wisely said.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
I went surfing with an old friend and he watched me-- a far less experienced surfer than him --catch five times as many waves and surf them better. There's nothing like wave count to raise your game. He said " ok, I get it." And bought a board and paddle that afternoon.

That is awesome and hilarious at the same time. 
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 11:15:05 PM »
JOB, Nathan Fletcher, Josh Sleigh (this photo) may help change younger hater minds. Not Slater Trout in People magazine or more Laird media tours. A little less polish may help SUS Just my ideas. Like the boost that Shaun Palmer gave mountain bike racing and snowboarding. I'm sure SL will chime in with "Passion not Fashion"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill