Author Topic: Monsanto Protection Act - Obama Signed Into Law (GMO Heaven)  (Read 9991 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The 5 Horrible Facts
1.) “The ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ effectively bars federal courts from being able to halt the sale or planting of controversial genetically modified (aka GMO) or genetically engineered (GE) seeds, no matter what health issues may arise concerning GMOs in the future.” (Studies have revealed severe adverse health effects related to the consumption of genetically modified foods.)
2.) “The provision’s language was written in collusion with Monsanto… the fact that Sen. Roy Blunt, Republican of Missouri worked with Monsanto on a provision that in effect allows them to keep selling seeds, which can then go on to be planted, even if it is found to be harmful to consumers, is stunning.”
3.) “Many members of Congress were apparently unaware that the ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ existed within the bill they were voting on.” HR 933 was a spending bill aimed at averting a government shutdown.
“In this hidden backroom deal, Sen. [Barbara] Mikulski turned her back on consumer, environmental and farmer protection in favor of corporate welfare for biotech companies such as Monsanto,” Andrew Kimbrell, executive director of the the Center for Food Safety said in a statement. “This abuse of power is not the kind of leadership the public has come to expect from Sen. Mikulski or the Democrat Majority in the Senate.”
4.) “On Tuesday, Obama signed HR 933 while the rest of the nation fixated on gay marriage as the U.S. Supreme Court heard oral argument concerning California’s Proposition 8.” (250,000 voters signed a petition opposing the provision.)
5.) The precedent, the message it sends is that corporations can get around consumer protections and safety. It suggests that court challenges are a privilege, not a right.)
Opponents of the provision say it was jammed through Congress without a proper hearing in relevant committees. I wonder why that would be….

Read more at http://planetsave.com/2013/04/02/five-appalling-facts-about-the-farmer-assurance-provision-the-monsanto-protection-act/#dmwAtxghUVPbsI9T.99

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Monsanto Protection Act - Obama Signed Into Law (GMO Heaven)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:57:02 PM »
Proof that the government wants us to die.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
3.) “Many members of Congress were apparently unaware that the ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ existed within the bill they were voting on.” HR 933 was a spending bill aimed at averting a government shutdown.

Opponents of the provision say it was jammed through Congress without a proper hearing in relevant committees. I wonder why that would be…
Gee, hasn't this happened before?
Somewhere burried deeply will be other items members of congress have passed along as law but have no desire for or feel the need to comply with but they will let you know that they have done good for all of their good doing constituents.

anotherncbeachbum

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
Gee, hasn't this happened before?
Somewhere burried deeply will be other items members of congress have passed along as law but have no desire for or feel the need to comply with but they will let you know that they have done good for all of their good doing constituents.

They were too busy counting the donations from Monsanto to see that little detail. I'd say that I'm shocked but nothing shocks me anymore.  Glad I didn't vote for Nobama this time.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »

They were too busy counting the donations from Monsanto to see that little detail. I'd say that I'm shocked but nothing shocks me anymore.  Glad I didn't vote for Nobama this time.

Obama nobama bo-bama,
Banana-fana fo-fama
Fee-Fi-mo-mama
Obama

Beachbum beachbum bo-beachbama
Banana-fana fo-feachfumama
Fe-fi-mo-meachmama
Beachbum

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:27:20 PM by surf4food »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »
Ah, well. I wonder what Barry is going to say about this one. "I didn't know anything about it until I read SEA's post in the Standup Zone."

Any of you Obama fanboys feeling a little bit let down yet? Or do you dimly remember the republicans doing something similar ten years ago so it's alright.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:21:37 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
I was just saying that to be silly.  To answer your question, yes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »
Actually I wasn't referring to you, but still, good to hear it. I'm tired of having a government that's for sale. republican, democrat--doesn't matter. the corruption is deep and pervasive. It's the only bipartisan aspect to the congress and senate. We need a non-tea party--a bipartisan effort for term limits and strict spending limits for campaigns. And all the workarounds have to end. Not hard to do, make it illegal and toss a few people in jail who do something cute.

Subject people in government to the rules and regulations they foist onto us. Social security is a good start. But anything and everything that has a "this doesn't apply to the special class of citizens in government" needs a rewrite.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
The impression I have is that GM food has incredible potential to "better the world," so to speak. Making it harder to bring frivolous non-scientific lawsuits against Monsanto, or anyone else working on GM food, sounds great to me.

Strikes me as another version of the vaccine carizness.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »
It does indeed, and equal potential to screw it up. Responsible companies don't need special protection. Monsanto has perhaps the worst corporate record of any company, and I'm a big fan of private enterprise. There is such a thing as sociopathic CEOs and Monsanto seems to have a corner on the market. 

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
I've said it before, the world can't be that bad a place, as people keep willingly producing children (myself excluded).

Good thing about Obama...I don't hear folks blaming Clinton much anymore.

anotherncbeachbum

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:36:38 AM »
I was just saying that to be silly.  To answer your question, yes.

You're a poet and we didn't even know it. That was good though.

I voted for Obama the first time he was up.  After the lobbyists he said he wasn't going to allow in started getting appointments I grew disappointed. Now, meh, I have nothing in common with him. He's gotten arrogant and seems to have moved away from his party.

I'd love to see some government types get cell time. NC's former governor was taking favors - land, plane trips, etc - and got no more than a slap on the wrist. I work for the state and I cannot accept a meal - went to an all day training that had coffee/donuts/pizza. We had to avoid the stuff even though they bought it for us. One of the guys was trying to sneak some coffee but someone was spying on us. A vendor sent me a travel mug and I had to return it. But the governor who was given waterfront land and was ferried around on a plane owned by a donor? Nothing.

As for Monsanto, I can understand some sort of copyright protection. But to give such special protections to an individual company, that's over the top. In other countries (possibly) the US too they've gone after farmers for using their seeds when the farmer in question clearly wasn't - seeds had blown over onto their tracts, etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 07:35:17 AM »
They do it everywhere, and it's not seeds, it's pollen. GMO plants are patented, and easily identified by their DNA. If GMO pollen blows into your field and you save the seed, you violate the patent. Lovely, huh?

There isn't any new law require to provide patent protection, though there is need to rationalization of patents--for all kinds of technology. The patent office went insane years ago and stopped doing it's job. But companies like Monsanto would HATE to have patent law rationalized, and resulting regulations made fair. For example, if your GMO pollen fertilizes someone else's plants you don't get to sue.

Any system can and will get gamed, and large companies are in a much better position to do the gaming. But gaming the system AND getting the rules rewritten for you is simply egregious.

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
Actually I wasn't referring to you, but still, good to hear it. I'm tired of having a government that's for sale. republican, democrat--doesn't matter. the corruption is deep and pervasive. It's the only bipartisan aspect to the congress and senate. We need a non-tea party--a bipartisan effort for term limits and strict spending limits for campaigns. And all the workarounds have to end. Not hard to do, make it illegal and toss a few people in jail who do something cute.

Subject people in government to the rules and regulations they foist onto us. Social security is a good start. But anything and everything that has a "this doesn't apply to the special class of citizens in government" needs a rewrite.

I'd suggest you start a SUZone Party and take back our country.  I'll nominate you as chairman.  Do we have a second? 

anotherncbeachbum

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 09:10:28 AM »
They do it everywhere, and it's not seeds, it's pollen. GMO plants are patented, and easily identified by their DNA. If GMO pollen blows into your field and you save the seed, you violate the patent. Lovely, huh?

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I guess now the farmers will have to pay to have their seeds tested for Mon$anto DNA? Nice.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal