Author Topic: 14 ' boards. Lets get specific!  (Read 4407 times)

Skyrocketnflight

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
14 ' boards. Lets get specific!
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:19:56 AM »
Thanks for all ur help with my last post, based upon my weight and everyone's feedback, im going with a 14'. Now, lets see what 200 lbers think of the following boards, to becused for flat water training, the CCBC and maybe some light to moderare windy downwinders:

Board.          Pros.              Cons

Naish Glide
Imagine
Rogue
Jimmy Lewis
Coreban
Exocet

Any others?

When is there a big Northeast demo day coming up?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 14 ' boards. Lets get specific!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
I only know three of those.. Naish, Jimmy Lewis, and Coreban.. and they're all good.

A few others that I know of that are worth considering is.. Fanatic.. Walk on Water.. and SIC.

DJ

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »

When is there a big Northeast demo day coming up?

LOL  :D
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »
I'm only familiar with the Glide.  I've  had the old elf-shoe-nose Glide and love it.  I just got a used Glide in the new version that came out a couple years ago.  With the lowered rocker and slightly recessed deck and some rail changes it has become a killer board for versatility.  Naish removed all the limitations the old shape had.  It's the board I'd have if I could only have one.  Not the fastest flatwater race board, but very fast, so fun for training.  Easier to turn and better in chop than pure displacement-nose flatwater boards. Great for downwinders.  Quite stable. 

I'm your weight.  The other boards may be good options, too, but I don't think you could go wrong with the Glide.  I got mine for under $1k.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »
 + 1 for the Naish Glide 14' (new design)...it is super versatile for everything.  It has a great balance between stability and agility...I'm appx 235lbs and it floats me perfect and is crazy fast.... at 200lbs it will be even faster.  I have not tried any of the other boards on the list, but I know you won't be disappointed in the Glide.  I haven't done big wind downwinders on it (those really don't exist here), but I have done tons of flatwater paddling from absolute glass to 2-3 ft chop...handled everything great.. I did a 13 mile coast run (side chop / downwind / glassy / headwind) in Lake Michigan last year with it... it was a dream
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
Others I forgot to mention are the Surftech boards like the 14' Jamie Mitchel, there's a few 14' Bark boards, and the 14' Gerry Lopez.. All good.

I've paddled most 14' boards out there and the new 14' Naish Glide is my favorite.

DJ

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
Going to have to add ANY of the INFINITY 14s, either the customs or the new Whiplash.  The Boehne boys really have it dialed in, with the recessed deck these boards are fast and stable, that magic combination that is so hard to find.  My 14x28 floats my 225 lbs fine, super stable in rough with a Gladiator fin, fast in the flat with a Ninja fin.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
We've had lots of Glides do the CCBC, Barks, Corebans, 404's....so many choices. Vec does a great job if you want to go custom. I'll be taking mine across again for the 3rd time. For me it's as fast as the Glides and more stable. Stability helps me a lot with speed though so that figures. You're smart to look around if you can find a demo. Very personal decision.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
I just picked up a used 14' Hobie Elite carbon. It's slower in flat water (than other 14'rs I've paddled), but good in the chop. The nose is pointed, but it's actually a planing hull all the way to the nose. I took it out in the ocean couple days ago. It was a mixed swell 4' to 6' rollers, 10-15 mile wind (capping). I just about got wet a couple times, but there was enough secondary stability to recover. I'm still trying to figure out where to stand while down-winding it. I paddled to a beach break, and it surfed better than any other long race board I've surfed. It has a little extra tail rocker, and a flip at the nose. The board is really light, and well made. The sealer is starting to yellow a little, but all and all I'm pretty happy with it. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »
Going to have to add ANY of the INFINITY 14s, either the customs or the new Whiplash.  The Boehne boys really have it dialed in, with the recessed deck these boards are fast and stable, that magic combination that is so hard to find.  My 14x28 floats my 225 lbs fine, super stable in rough with a Gladiator fin, fast in the flat with a Ninja fin.
And even faster with the new Gladiator Pro (mini)  ;)
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »
Talldude:

Your 14' Hobie sounds like my 14' Hobie Hellcat custom, 2010 vintage.  There was a problem with the coating, which has chipped, and yellowed.  I've had mine fixed a few times.  Mine has the same planeing hull and slightly curved up nose.  It has a concave hull which gives it great stability in the chop.  Mine also isn't the fastest board.  I just bought a Ninja fin from Larry, and it seemed to help the boards manners in buoy turns and ability to paddle with a side wind.

Love that board.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:23:07 PM »
Love the Hobie Elite. Moved up from Coreban 12'6" Alpha and WOW what a difference the extra foot and a half made.  The extra length and displacement shape made such a difference in speed and glide.    Great board, very stable and like Talldude says, it even surfs well.  It catches anything resembling a swell and is a pleasure to paddle those 10 plus mile trips, especially downwind
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 04:36:57 AM »
I agree with PDX and CRT.  If I could only have just one board, it would be the 14 Glide.  It has awesome stability for such a narrow board and does everything really well.  Awesome downwind and still pretty fast on flat water, but not a real race board.  If you really want to race, get a race board too!!  Great price point, if you buy the 2012 model.  Same "new" Harold Iggy shape.  Build quality is great.  I might pop the extra $ for the carbon, if I had to do it again.  There may be other boards out there that can top the 14 Glide for overall sweetness, but there are few that are as popular on the Zone,  IMO.  Another board that is very popular is the Bark Dominator.  Although it is a race board, a lot of people like it for everyday use.  I have to add that have seen videos of the new Infinity Whiplash and I am very intrigued.  Looked very fast and stable.  I also like the looks 14 Speedboard race board.  Looks fast sitting still like a corvette.  So many choices, like ice cream flavors.  Try as many as you can and ask a lot of questions, but Do buy a new board ASAP.  Life is short this is one of the few things that will bring you both much enjoyment and healthful benefits.           
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard