Author Topic: C4 Waterman V1 vs. C4 Wai Nui  (Read 3948 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
C4 Waterman V1 vs. C4 Wai Nui
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:42:57 AM »
I'm having trouble finding any information about these boards. There are some conflicting views on the web about the stability of the C4 Waterman 14ft V1 in big chop, and there seems to be almost nothing about the Wai Nui (14ft x 29.5")

Has anyone tried either of these boards, especially in difficult short period downwind and cross-chop conditions?

The Wai Nui is 36lbs...

Cheers for any info you have.

Bklyn2Oahu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: C4 Waterman V1 vs. C4 Wai Nui
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
I have a 14' V1.  I like it in flat or down wind conditions, but I find it very unstable in chop or cross winds.  I'm 5'10" & 160 lbs. It was my first board and don't regret buying it, but i'm selling it and buying a different board this summer when I move back to Hawaii.  I'm looking foa a downwind board that's more stable in the chop and cross wind conditions that I will encounter there.
14' Naish Glide

Ke Nalu Maliko

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:27 AM »
I have a 14' V1.  I like it in flat or down wind conditions, but I find it very unstable in chop or cross winds.  I'm 5'10" & 160 lbs. It was my first board and don't regret buying it, but i'm selling it and buying a different board this summer when I move back to Hawaii.  I'm looking foa a downwind board that's more stable in the chop and cross wind conditions that I will encounter there.

Thanks very much Waipahu Bound. I guess I don't need to ask whereabouts in Hawaii you are going...

I have a C4 Switchblade, and I'm imagining that the hull of the V1 and Wai Nui are designed along the same principles - a V in the nose and tail and a slightly rounded bottom throughout. I've found this surprisingly fast, and the release off the tail is particularly good (it's a very hard board to draft). But it can give a roll to the handling in side-chop which can be disconcerting.

But a local guy here maintains that the V1 has different handling and design from the Switchblade (I've never seen one). And the Wai Nui is wide enough at 29.5" perhaps to mean that you could benefit from the speed of the hull design without worrying too much about roll. There is limited opportunity to demo these board here - probably not even possible for the Wai Nui, which is a shame since the price is good here compared to e.g. a SIC. So your views are very helpful.

I've rarely seen so few responses to a post of this type on the 'Zone. Maybe C4 Waterman don't have much penetration into the markets represented most here. 

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »
We have had the V1, Switchblade and TGIF through the Shop.
Short supply.
If you are in SoCal we can make arrangements for a Demo...
The Wai Nui is new for 2013 and are slow in the coming at the moment...

Ralph
Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal