Author Topic: AST construction - What is it?  (Read 14944 times)

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
AST construction - What is it?
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
Lots of the board mfgs off shore ones have a construction called AST.  Not too many divulge what it is.  Looks like it is nothings nothing more than EPS that is vac bagged or molded with fiberglass only.  Looks to get pvc included you have to get top shelf carbon.  I thiught the sandwich boards all had pvc. 

Is this a strong durable build?  Im thinking it is a cheap build.  Thoughts?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: AST construction - What is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
JD

AST discribes the resin used in a simple sandwich construction which is a simple Cloth/resin. It is better than some layed up methods at least it uses quality resin and cloth and is usually molded

I would look at a set up in that type of construction called HRS an AST resin and cloth sandwich which also uses DEMA and wood to add stiffness with minimal weight and adds impact resistence too

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »
This is from the Naish site, and I assume most others are similar:
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »
It stands for Advanced Sandwich Technology, and since almost every manufacturer uses the term, it seems like a consistent term of art. But what it doesn't seem to mean is PVC anywhere, which is what most folks think of as sandwich. From what I can see it means wood on top of the EPS, with glass over the wood, and usually the EPS is some closed cell version. There's also no stringer but they have extra glass in the stringer area.

Oops, I meant Glass over the EPS, then wood, then glass. So perhaps wood is the sammy? But that's usually only in the stepping area.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:11:55 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »
Advanced.
Sandwich.
Technology.

From what I understand the AST Naish boards use a unidirectional weave fiberglass mat that can be more resistand to small dings and splits and cracks.. and the non AST boards have a more traditional noth/south-east/west weave fiberglass mat that makes for a slightly lighter and slightly stiffer board that is less likely to break because of the length wise direction of the fibers.. The weight difference isn't much and I have often chosen the AST because it's a slightly cheaper option and slightly tougher.. IMO.

DJ

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »
I would love the AST construction on all of my race boards if only they were the same weight as the carbon boards. Repairing carbon dings is becoming tiresome.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: AST construction - What it is?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
I would love the AST construction on all of my race boards if only they were the same weight as the carbon boards. Repairing carbon dings is becoming tiresome.

Maybe I'm easy on my Starboard carbon boards, but how are you constantly dinging yours?   ???
Mine are tough as nails, but are for surfing.  

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »
The race boards have a much thinner construction, AFAIK.

As to AST construction, the Cobra factory stuff (Starboard, JP Aus, some Naish, many others) is great relative to other prod boards. Decent weight for a production board and very very strong in my experience.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:49:30 PM by JeanG »

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »
It seems this AST construction would not be a robust as Surftech's Tuflite which looks like it is a full PVC wrap composite.  I imagine leaving out the PVC reduces cost?

I'm not a big fan of the wood constructions with pine or bamboo that I have had.  I've had one board with the bamboo build and another with pine and they were both similar and very light weight constructions.  Not too durable in my opinion.  

I'm a little hesitant to go with this AST construction, but not sure I want to dish out the extra $500-750 for the carbon.

Is this basic AST construction as durable as a hand lay up (though I know this can vary).?

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
It's made in the same factory as Surftech (right?). I think that everything is laid up by hand, no matter where it's made...

Which board are you considering, exactly?

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 09:48:24 PM »
Advanced
Sandwich
Technology

Suddenly I'm getting hungry again.
I'm heading to the kitchen now.
I'm thinking something on a sesame seed bun.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 04:30:25 AM »

Is this basic AST construction as durable as a hand lay up (though I know this can vary).?

My thoughts on the marketing BS of AST.....

AST is the lower cost model in everyone's lineup.  Since Cobra uses lighter EPS (1lb), when they don't do PVC or wood sandwich, they just throw piles of glass on it to compensate.  This is why so many users report AST is tougher. More glass, more ding proof.  Whether its hand layup or molded depends on the brand. Cobra still builds both ways. Amundson admits to using molds. It keeps their prices lower, but can limit design updates.

Custom guys prefer 1.5 lb foam and less thick glassing.  It's just easier for so many reasons.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 05:39:42 AM »
Is the Bigmac an advanced sandwich because it uses 3 layers of bread instead of the standard 2?  I like Bigmacs.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 06:15:53 AM »
from the research i have done for my own boards all eps is closed cell.
when eps absorbs water it is not absorbing into to the beads it is the capillary action and the space arounds the beads that absorbs the water so the best eps is the stuff that has the beads fused together the best so i believe the hole claim of water resistant eps that some companies claim is just well fused. It seams blocks eps can vary hugely in quality and what one company calls one grade of foam is something totally different to another.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 07:59:59 AM »

Which board are you considering, exactly?

This Exocet Fish or a JP (JPs are either wood or carbon construction).  The Exocet is either AST or Carbon, which a $750 difference.  It's either that or call one of my local friendly shapers. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal