Author Topic: How fast can a Naish Nalu go?  (Read 8234 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How fast can a Naish Nalu go?
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »
Yesterday I found out..  ;D

DJ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: How fast can a Naish Nalu go?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
WooHoo  ;D ;D

Be careful, you might find yourself torn between downwinding and strapless windsurfing when it blows  ;D ;D

What size Nalu is that?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
That's the coolest GoPro windsurfing angle I have seen.  Then again, its always the first that is the coolest.   

Gives a great perspective, probably great for training & feedback and would be super cool when wave sailing.   

Now I have to go rig one up.  Good stuff!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:36:35 PM by Beasho »

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
i want to know how you carry your strapless sup and rig together. i usually make 2 trips, first rig into the water then attach the board.  i can see you just bulldoze it down into the water but on your exit there is some strange levitation thing going on.    :D  is this a secret you can share? or something that only works in the south hemisphere?  :D

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »
Strapless sailing SUP's is so much fun!   

We just got in one of the new Starboard Astro (inflatable) 12'6" Wind SUP's - can't wait to try it.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
there is some strange levitation thing going on.    :D  is this a secret you can share? or something that only works in the south hemisphere?  :D

V Cool DJ, V cool  ;D

(literally cool...boardies and hawaiian shirt yesterday?? crikey your blood must be thick, or did you have a sneaky shortie on underneath?)
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »

(literally cool...boardies and hawaiian shirt yesterday?? crikey your blood must be thick, or did you have a sneaky shortie on underneath?)

Yes.. The weather here sure has taken a sudden turn for the worst.. With Winter only a couple of weeks away the water temp has suddenly dropped.. So yes.. A shorty underneath..  ;D

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
WooHoo  ;D ;D

Be careful, you might find yourself torn between downwinding and strapless windsurfing when it blows  ;D ;D

What size Nalu is that?

It's the 10'6 1/2"  Nalu.. I think next time I'll leave the side fins in or use a slightly bigger center fin.. You know that spinout feeling is not a good one.. The mast base hole seemed a little too far forward from what I'm used to making it hard to get on the tail.. Maybe raising my boom would help there.. It was my first time windsurfing that board.. and even windsurfing in a long time.. so I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it... It felt good to go so fast..  ;D

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
i want to know how you carry your strapless sup and rig together. i usually make 2 trips, first rig into the water then attach the board.  i can see you just bulldoze it down into the water but on your exit there is some strange levitation thing going on.    :D  is this a secret you can share? or something that only works in the south hemisphere?  :D

Yes it is tricky trying to carry the complete rig without the footstrap to hold the board.. Carrying them seperate to the waters edge seems to work best.. Naish boards are tuff.. They can handle a little sliding in and out of the water.. as long as there's no rocks..  ;D

DJ

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
Fun video DJ...making lemonade out of lemons...;-)

We started strapless SUP sailing back in 2005 with the precursor to the Big Red and Big Blue Sean Ordonez models...
Here are some fun galleries of SUP wavesailing from back in the day...

http://surfingsports.com/cali_longboard_wavesailing/index.html

http://surfingsports.com/isla_vista_longboard/index.html

http://surfingsports.com/longboard_wavesailing_cali/index.html

The wifey got her wish for Mother's Day windsurfing last weekend...it's been a breezy spring...pretty fun to actually get in the foot straps for some planing time and power jibes...actually have a couple of new sailboards coming for the first time in years...;-)

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2013/05/windsurfing-lake-lopez.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 06:03:05 PM »
i want to know how you carry your strapless sup and rig together.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-InsamSDwjgE/UY6YjliZM3I/AAAAAAAAJEI/Ip0-ujWkiGY/s1600/IMG_9869.jpg
I have two ways to carry it. Notice the black thing on the tail in this photo. It's a literally a tail. Attached to a leash plug. It makes something to grab and drag the tail.

The other way is here. One hand in SUP handle hole.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vHliILcFCBg/UXhNUROCXrI/AAAAAAAAI-M/eC1L6z0woZI/s1600/fr_149_size880.jpg

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »
Nice barrel at the end.  Who says GoPro makes waves look smaller?  :D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
Cool video ! The North Vertigo brings back good memories, my favorite sail for bump and jump conditions. Interesting how you carry the harness hook, facing up. My first test ever with that setup ended up with a beautiful catapult. From then, i always used my hook facing down. Even so, i had some instances of a suddenly disappearing rig when accidentally unhooked.

Thanks for the vid !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
DJ, my 11'6 Nalu has a mast track which gives me some adjustment, but I need to buy a universal base. I been thinking about rigging mine up. Do I need a single screw mast foot base or a double?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
I agree with balance fit... the North Vertigo brings back good memories of my windsurfing days. Actually as I type I have blown up photo above my computer hanging on the wall of me getting a nice jump over powered on a North Vertigo 4.2

Now I'm trying to think how many sail quivers I had over the years. Gaastra, Feedom Maui, Neil Pryde, North, Ezzy, some multiple quivers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal