Author Topic: Whitewater pfd?  (Read 5231 times)

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Whitewater pfd?
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
In the market for a new pfd for whitewater.  Have been using my kayak rescue vest for the last couple of years but it is too bulky and give little lower back protection.  Need some suggestions for a good one that is not too bulky in front and offers protection for my back.

Thanks!

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Whitewater pfd?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
I just bought the Astral YTV which is a replacement for the Willis. Have not used it yet but it sounds like the vest you may be looking for. Low profile and weight, which is achieved by getting rid of a lot of the features that a rescue vest has.
http://www.astraldesigns.com/news/product-announcements/ytv-simple-by-design/

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
I just bought the Astral YTV which is a replacement for the Willis. Have not used it yet but it sounds like the vest you may be looking for. Low profile and weight, which is achieved by getting rid of a lot of the features that a rescue vest has.

I'd advise trying this one on at a store before buying. My husband and I went looking for it at a local shop and found that the padding in the front of the YTV was much thicker than either of us expected. I ended up buying a Stohlquist Cruiser; he's still shopping.

Have you seen the Kokatat Aries? That PFD has a full coverage back. http://kokatat.com/aries-pfd.html
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »
I go with trying it on first too. I was into my third before I found the "ideal" one that wasn't too bulky. First two were good vests for sure, a Stohlquist and another and even tried the Stohlquist on at the shop. If going online, order two or three and pick from there and send the rest back if paying the shipping back is an option for you. I love my Patagonia, but it is no longer made. You can find them on Ebay (still new) at times. The Astral Norge looks similar.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
Totally try on a bunch. Just like a board, try before you buy. Fit is key! I tried on a few before I bought the YTV. I always liked the thin waterski vests, but not sure they have great floatation.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
Astral Green or the Sea Wolf with the 2 panel front moves independently and a low profile feel/fit in the front

http://www.astraldesigns.com/products/GreenJacket.php
http://www.astraldesigns.com/products/Seawolf.php
Best PFDs out there in my opinion.  The Sea Wolf is nice because its side entry, and the Green is cool becasue it comes with a rescue belt integrated.  The same system can be added to the seawolf using the optional safety belt.
http://www.astraldesigns.com/products/2011_QuickRelease.php
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Badfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »

I like the YTV as well. Low profile, light feel, solid design. I also really like the Sea Wolf and Green if you want the rescue features. Astral is just tough to beat on design, look and fit.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »

I like the YTV as well. Low profile, light feel, solid design. I also really like the Sea Wolf and Green if you want the rescue features. Astral is just tough to beat on design, look and fit.

I just put my Gerber River Shorty on lash tab, and I think its the perfect location for retrieving knife the quickest. Pair that with a Badfish Re'leash and its about as close as you can get between your leash and your knife. Plus it comes in black! Perfect pairing of form and function.

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »
Green Jacket is the one I have had for the last couple of years.  It is just too bulky in the front and gets in the way when climbing back on the board.  Looked at the YTV this weekend and it seemed bulky in the front too. 

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
Green Jacket is the one I have had for the last couple of years.  It is just too bulky in the front and gets in the way when climbing back on the board.  Looked at the YTV this weekend and it seemed bulky in the front too. 

I have been using the YTV for a few weeks now and it is not bad at all. I have a gut too, but it wraps pretty good and if low enough and correctly positioned it is not in the way. I think only way you can get around that buck is one of those wake boarding vest that are super thin, but no much floatation.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal