Author Topic: Inflatable SUP decisions  (Read 18692 times)

Pampasurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Inflatable SUP decisions
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
Hey first I want to thank everybody for sharing your experiences with the newbies!...nothing better than real people with first hand experiences and hopefully unbiased !

I basically want a board than travels nicely on flat water but also can handle some waves for my future trips in search of no so big waves... I see the astro whopper as an alternative but I noticed that it has a very pronounced rocker (both tail and nose)...i understand that this feature will help for turning but I'm wondering if this will also slowdown the board on flat water?

Also, NRS have in the business of raft and boat for quite a while now...My guess is that they have a good reputation in the industry of water sports...I know there are hundreds of other brands that also specializes in SUPs but seems that a lot of them have been poping out recently, NRS have been around for a while...my humble 2 cents

Again thanks a lot for everybody who chipped in!!
I am he, as you are he

jwongbc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
I did manage to find a place with a Red Paddle 10'6" ride on display and the rails seem better built than the starboard, c4, and nrs boards I saw and am considering picking it up. Someone had told me that one of the stores has a Naish one in stock to look at so I might drop by and take a look at that.
I guess the downside to the red paddle one is fixed fins so I wouldn't be able to change them out for different uses or if they get damaged and I don't get a larger fin for straighter tracking.

As for paddles I'm probably looking at a Werner Fuji 1 piece to keep costs on that side down and get an inflatable belt pfd

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
I basically want a board than travels nicely on flat water but also can handle some waves for my future trips in search of no so big waves... I see the astro whopper as an alternative but I noticed that it has a very pronounced rocker (both tail and nose)...i understand that this feature will help for turning but I'm wondering if this will also slowdown the board on flat water?

The Astro Whopper would be great for surfing small waves / general "goofing around" paddling and also for white water rivers. 
It will be fairly slow - due to its width - and will also not track as well on flat water due to its short length (and wide width).  The Astro Blend will be a better at flat water paddling (longer and a bit narrower) - and will still surf small waves.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
and who invented inflatables?
who was the first to build an inflatable SUP?

the answer: ULI

and what they were building before?
inflatable surfboards

and is that simple to build a new product?
of course it is :) its just a bladder  ;D

I am canadian two, and I am on my second ULI, 9'3" FAQ.
Before was on a single skin Lopez 10'

traveled with it to Mexico, Oahu, Maui.
Definitely much better than the junk (and this is regular "hard" boards) you can rent on the beach...
besides, this junk is typically a huge 11-12 footer, not suitable for surfing...
anything in 9' range is difficult to rent...
Pretty versatile, last time at Maui I had to paddle to the surf break for 40 minutes one way... no problem... would I be on the long narrow hardboard Id probably shaved off five minutes....

Fits into hockey bag that doesn't break WestJet's/Air Canada rules, neither  by weight, nor by  dimensions...

besides the money you save each time by not renting (mine ULI is paid for itself already for sure), it is a huge convenience factor, I can go in the first evening or early morning on my last day, (when the rental is already closed or not yet open); no need to check in/check out and count scratches and worry about dings.

Performance wise, yes my Naish Mana 9' is better but not that much...
how much better? lets put it this way, if it is free (e.g. it is my second board on my roof) ill take Mana, if I have to pay rent for it, Ill refuse to rent and go on ULI, its not much, but I know better ways to spend those moneys

Also, inflatable is much safer in crowded beach, if it hits somebody the injury is not likely, plus no dings... plus if the board hits yourself in the head or youll fall on it, it is much more pleasant than hitting the real one...

check ULI prices, (yes it is a small shop, calling them is the best), it is direct (no dealers), and you can customize the skin (single - lighter but less durable, versus standard double skin)...

if you in Calgary you welcome to swing by, Ill show it to you (I keep it inflated on the rack all the time, - besides after the winter,  before packing it on my trip I checked the air pressure, it was 8 PSI after six months)

The only "drawback" with inflatables - allow yourself 15 minutes for inflation, dont believe anyone who says its just three minutes).

And - no matter how hard youll pump it, you will feel the bounceness... for a while... I get used to it after a couple hours, do not notice it anymore. But yes, allow yourself some little time to get used...

don't go with a bigger board, this 9'3" fits nicely in the elevator in the resort and the more room in your hockey bag is left for wetsuits and the rest, the better.....

I myself am thinking about switching it to shorter 8'4".... at convenient moment, ill do it.... (convenience factor is defined by how many new toys had recently propagated in my basement, that my wife knows about; and boards, skis, sails are tough to hide...)

so yeah, check the ULI... MEC is my fav. shop for backcountry skiing equipment, and clothes (what a sale did they have around last Christmas....)..., but not for SUP...

Pampasurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
Update!

I found a couple of other (more specialized) places in town where i can get some interesting options...

Starboard:
Blend fun - 1032$
Whopper fun - 1032$

Naish:
Mana air 10' (4inches) - 875$
I could probably get the 6 inches for 1081$, but since i'm around 75kg i don't think it is necessary.

I think i'm getting somewhere now!...thoughts?

Again thanks everybody for the nice and friendly dialog towards the newbies! 
I am he, as you are he

Pampasurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
Just to clarify...the Naish are the 2012 models, and the Starboard are the 2013 models
I am he, as you are he

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »
I just put a last years Astro Blend demo board on sale for $799.99 
It has only been paddled at our demos and is in awesome condition.

http://www.theeasyrider.com/palladium/?p=2364
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
Don't forget the Red Paddle Co boards. They make inflatables exclusively and look pretty decent lined up to some of the other big brands who have the hard board history.

Most popular inflatable SUP http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-10-6-ride
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill